Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robson & Evans were lucky the scrutiny fell so squarely on Hird.

Failed governance structures, rogue staff, operations going off-site.
Certainly not the purview of the head of the organisation or the people who put him there.....
It wasn't just neglect by Robson either. He played a large and active role in implementing the drugs program after seeing what European soccer clubs were doing. Somehow escaped all criticism.

It wasn't just neglect by Robson either. He played a large and active role in implementing the drugs program after seeing what European soccer clubs were doing. Somehow escaped all criticism.
cos he quit.
As did Evans.

I disagreed with it at the time, but Hirdy should have bit the bullet in 2013 and handed over to Bomber whilst we looked for a full time replacement.
Would have saved himself a lot of needless attention.

Meanwhile Bevo escapes criticism whilst his charges spent an off-season engaging in questionable behaviour and the impact it had on the title defence.
As Cameron did with the Whitfield/Lambert/Allen stuff.

Seriously, what is wrong at West Lakes? Appreciate that the Lever thing is nothing new but now it's real a few days after they lost a grand final.

I can't see how they could continually develop so many quality players using as many late picks if their welfare and culture are not first rate.

Then you look at Port which two decent years in the last 9 aside has been s**t and irrelevant but before Trengove they couldn't sell a player.

Apologies to our South Australian friends but I can understand why Adelaide as a city does not appeal but that doesn't explain the difference between the clubs (unless I have been mislead and Alberton is a paradise).

Is it just a case of Port chronically overpaying anyone of value?

Last edited:

Seriously, what is wrong at West Lakes? Appreciate that the Lever thing is nothing new but now it's real a few days after they lost a grand final.

I can't see how they could continually develop so many quality players using as many late picks is their welfare and culture were not first rate.

Then you look at Port which two decent years in the last 9 aside has been s**t and irrelevant but before Trengove they couldn't sell a player.

Apologies to our South Australian friends by I can understand why Adelaide as a city does not appeal but that doesn't explain the difference between the clubs (unless I have been mislead and Alberton is a paradise).

Is it just a case of Port chronically overpaying anyone of value?
The worrying thing about this is that Kochie tries to give money advice to thousands of people on TV every day.

I feel as though Port just grossly overestimated the need to pay some players. There are a few that demand some serious coin (Gray, Ryder, Wines) but surely not enough where it's an actual problem...

Mattner Bock Skipworth
Lever Davis Henderson
_______, Dangerfield Kerridge
Knights Tippett Cameron (?)
Gunston McKernan Wright
Maric Lyons Vince

Griffin ________,________,________

In the last 10 years they've literally lost or given away an entire team's worth of footballers. What the hell is going on over there?

Mattner Bock Skipworth
Lever Davis Henderson
Gunston McKernan Wright
Maric Lyons Vince

In the last 10 years they've literally lost or given away an entire team's worth of footballers. What the hell is going on over there?

VZytLaI.jpg

And how the heck are they playing in a grand final without all those players?

That's the second part, from the outside it seems like they're a model organisation in pretty much every way, hardly the basket case that 20 odd players leaving for greener pastures would indicate.

I would say their player development has been better than everyone else's bar Sydney and probably Hawthorn in the last 10 years. It just doesn't reconcile.

Also I don't think he has been mentioned at all this year, but Ricky Henderson was a really good pick up for Hawthorn.

Would have to come down to money, wouldn't it? They're doing too good a job developing these players & then cant pay them all once they start reaching their prime. Not in all cases obviously but could be a significant issue.

Mattner Bock Skipworth
Lever Davis Henderson
Gunston McKernan Wright
Maric Lyons Vince

How many are South Australians?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media giving Jenkins some stick . Do they want players open opinions or the usual generic rubbish that bores everyone to tears. So what he talked up a bit of a big game but fell over on the day. At least he gave his honest opinions.

Much is being made of the players who have left but there are some pretty handy players who they have brought in from other clubs.

Lynch, Eddie, Thompson, Jacobs, Seedsman, Cheney, Hampton, Jenkins, Menzel

How many are South Australians?

I count 6, but in saying that, how is it possible that they've lost more players than we have given we've given our blokes every reason to want out and they've had success on field and been stable off field?

Media giving Jenkins some stick . Do they want players open opinions or the usual generic rubbish that bores everyone to tears. So what he talked up a bit of a big game but fell over on the day. At least he gave his honest opinions.
They want honest opinions..... So they can slam them if they go belly up.

Best of both worlds. Immediate sound bite plus a week's worth of analysis/criticism.

To everyone going after Tex because of his post-match speech...what was he meant to say, exactly? ****, I hate the media sometimes.

Also, there is something about this Lever 'announcement' just days after playing in a losing GF that is just wrong. Massive kick in the guts to their supporters.
I'm not sure if the timing is different from usual, but the free agency period starts on Friday, and the trade period starts on Monday. He needs to nominate a club so that the clubs can figure out what they're doing with the players they already have, what cap space they have, and who they can do deals with, all of which need to happen before they know whether they can offer their free agents a contract or match an offer, or what deals they can do in the trade period.

It might be quick timing, but I suspect it's a combination of the dates that work with the school holidays (when the draft combine is) and the GF (and public holiday), the bye, and also how it fits with the start of the season and the women's league.

As for Tex, I haven't heard anything about it, that's a really strange thing for the media to have a go at him for. He said what he needed to say, he was concise, thanked the sponsors and the fans... why would he need or want to do more than that? If there was a need for it then they should have told him in advance to write a speech.

To everyone going after Tex because of his post-match speech...what was he meant to say, exactly? ****, I hate the media sometimes.

Also, there is something about this Lever 'announcement' just days after playing in a losing GF that is just wrong. Massive kick in the guts to their supporters.
If you compare the speech from the Cowboys player to Walker's one, the gap in quality is fairly big. I guess that's the standard that everyone expected.

If you compare the speech from the Cowboys player to Walker's one, the gap in quality is fairly big. I guess that's the standard that everyone expected.
The (fairly major) difference is that Crows were the favourites and Cowboys were such massive underdogs that Cooper was probably more prepared to be in that position than Tex. You only had to watch cowboys run onto the field to know that they had already played their best, their coach seemed to be in the same place too - they were just glad to be out there. A very different mindset to Adelaide who were far and away the best team in 2017. Unreasonable to expect more grace in the circumstances, would have been good if he had surpassed expectations but also understandable that he just didn't have it in him, given the circumstances.

The (fairly major) difference is that Crows were the favourites and Cowboys were such massive underdogs that Cooper was probably more prepared to be in that position than Tex. You only had to watch cowboys run onto the field to know that they had already played their best, their coach seemed to be in the same place too - they were just glad to be out there. A very different mindset to Adelaide who were far and away the best team in 2017. Unreasonable to expect more grace in the circumstances, would have been good if he had surpassed expectations but also understandable that he just didn't have it in him, given the circumstances.
I personally didn't have any issues with it because he understandably was disappointed. I guess some of the Adelaide fans expected more depth in his speech when recognising the fans and the club's achievements this year since many Adelaide supporters made the travel and witnessed that garbage. You know, the usual sentimental stuff that keeps hope and gets people going. They'd have been more shattered than the Cowboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back