Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

No, I agree that the two issues are not the same. Gambling is entertainment. You mightn't like it, same as you mightn't like taking drugs, watching pr0n or drinking alcohol, all things that are entertaining to many but do harm to some. The gun comparison is nonsense.
Ok fair enough, was just wondering what exactly about the previous post was hyperbole.
In response to this post, Gambling is not entertainment. It’s a billion dollar industry designed to take money off people. If you’re one of the people who see it as entertainment that’s you prerogative. However for many it’s an addiction that ruins lives, so just as the government has seen fit to ban cigarette advertising and alcohol advertising before certain times to stop children from being persuaded to drink, I think it’s just as important to have some regulation on when and how much gambling advertising should be consumed, especially by children.

Edit: you’re correct again, this should probably be removed from this thread and taken to the politics thread.

More hyperbole
It isn't hyperbole at all. I haven't exaggerated anything or made any wild claims, simply used an analogy.

The US has the highest rate of firearms deaths in the world which is many would say directly related to their lack of regulation around firearms. Every time there is a mass shooting people make arguments like you have saying guns don't kill people, it's the responsibility of the individual. The gun lobby in the US is one of the most powerful political lobby groups and makes huge contributions to politicians who ensure nothing is ever done to regulate guns.

In Australia we apparently have the highest gambling losses per adult in the world. Some might argue that this is a result of normalising sports betting and allowing its purveyors to advertise almost non stop during sporting events which are televised. Australia has a huge gambling lobby which appears to be against any change to laws around advertising or betting apps or whatever.

I think its quite an apt analogy.

That's without going anywhere near pokies and their effect on vulnerable populations. Why do you think WA has much lower levels or problem gambling? Because we don't have pokies and we have the lowest levels of problem gambling in Australia.

Do you know what happened to levels of smoking once its advertising was banned on TV and the risks highly publicised?

Kudos to this independent AFL podcast for shining a light on on what is one of the great AFL scandals of our time, that is happening by stealth every single day.
Ther will come a day in the future when people look back and say how was this allowed to happen? Why didn’t someone shout stop?

The only afl accredited “journalist” I’ve heard consistently taking this issue on, to any degree whatsoever, is Caroline Wilson. She deserves credit for trying at least.
The likes of Jake Niall, Damo Barrett, sam McClure, Mark Robinson, even our own favourites Duffield and Rhino in the west, have all taken the thirty pieces of silver on this one and said nothing. There is a omertà around this issue with all of these guys. They dare not speak of it on any of their platforms. That’s the truth in all honesty. Their silence has effectively been bought and paid for by the AFL. They are not much different to the Kremlin.

Grubs like Nathan brown, dale Thomas and bill Brownless, who actively promote it - I wouldn’t expect anything more from boofhead idiots like that. But supposed professional journalists with integrity should be all over this.

The mass transfer of wealth, in broad daylight under the cover of “bet with your mates” and other catchphrases like that, from the pockets of mainly young impressionable men aged 18-30, to the already bloated salaries of AFL executives and their equivalents in sportsbet and pointsbet and also to guys like Hutchy, is sick. Insidious doesn’t even begin to describe it.

People gambling their pay away on the footy is about as first-world a problem as it gets.

I love how whenever this topic is brought up it's always framed as if everyday footy fans are oblivious.

I can only speak for myself but I have no problem whatsoever with gambling or drinking advertising at the footy.

The game has to be funded somehow to get to the level it's at and if it has to be funded by alcoholics and gamblers so be it.

Plus, we're talking about footy here. Some people like a punt on the footy, some like a pint. They are doing what they enjoy and they are minding their own business. If you aren't gambling, then mind your own business. You wanna bring your social issues into it and you see the true reality that even in your little internet echo chamber nobody but you cares. We're not sending people to camps here.

It isn't hyperbole at all. I haven't exaggerated anything or made any wild claims, simply used an analogy.

The US has the highest rate of firearms deaths in the world which is many would say directly related to their lack of regulation around firearms. Every time there is a mass shooting people make arguments like you have saying guns don't kill people, it's the responsibility of the individual. The gun lobby in the US is one of the most powerful political lobby groups and makes huge contributions to politicians who ensure nothing is ever done to regulate guns.

In Australia we apparently have the highest gambling losses per adult in the world. Some might argue that this is a result of normalising sports betting and allowing its purveyors to advertise almost non stop during sporting events which are televised. Australia has a huge gambling lobby which appears to be against any change to laws around advertising or betting apps or whatever.

That's without going anywhere near pokies and their effect on vulnerable populations. Why do you think WA has much lower levels or problem gambling? Because we don't have pokies and we have the lowest levels of problem gambling in Australia.

Do you know what happened to levels of smoking once its advertising was banned on TV and the risks highly publicised?
Bit rich to brag about the lack of problem gambling in the meth capital of the world lol. You might think you're Captain Planet and this is an important fight, but everyone else just wants to watch footy.

Next time I hear of an innocent bystander being killed by a misfiring same race multi, I'll come back to agree that the gun comparison is apt.
In the meantime, unless a mod does want to move all these posts to the politics thread, I'm out of the discussion out of respect for everyone

Next time I hear of an innocent bystander being killed by a misfiring same race multi, I'll come back to agree that the gun comparison is apt.
In the meantime, unless a mod does want to move all these posts to the politics thread, I'm out of the discussion out of respect for everyone
I'll make this my last post too as its not the appropriate place.

I'll just add that my analogy was referring to your argument being specious, not trying to make a direct comparison between the social harms of guns v gambling.

I believe in personal choice for everything, I think people should be allowed to grow tobacco, or weed for personal consumption, gamble if they want to, whatever.

I don't believe the advertising of it should be allowed in prime time sports. I feel the same way about junk food. I think the ads which feature professional athletes chowing down on KFC or whatever border on criminal by normalising what are extremely harmful behaviours.

Anyway I'm out too. Not the place.

What are the odds on that💲
2ffaa294-b9f2-4165-a578-eee89cb9588d_text.gif

Started watching the Fox replay of the Carlton v Geelong game and got about 15 mins in before I had to put on mute. Ed Curnow was one of the two commentators and was the most biased, one sided discussion I have ever heard. Would have been incredibly frustrating for any Geelong supporters !
Not sure if he got a word in the ear at half time and improved as I’ve kept on on mute so-as not to ruin the game !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'll make this my last post too as its not the appropriate place.

I'll just add that my analogy was referring to your argument being specious, not trying to make a direct comparison between the social harms of guns v gambling.

I believe in personal choice for everything, I think people should be allowed to grow tobacco, or weed for personal consumption, gamble if they want to, whatever.

I don't believe the advertising of it should be allowed in prime time sports. I feel the same way about junk food. I think the ads which feature professional athletes chowing down on KFC or whatever border on criminal by normalising what are extremely harmful behaviours.

Anyway I'm out too. Not the place.
I 100% agree with you. I thought it was ironic when Cummins came out about Alinta Gas being a bad sponsor, yet somehow shoving KFC and sports betting down our kids' throats was somehow ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You all know how gambling works right? It’s not about what they think is going to happen, it’s about what other people have placed bets on already. Clearly no one has dumped a truckload of cash on us, GWS or Sydney to win those games yet, so the odds a relatively low.
Some nufty Geelong supporters have bet their houses on Geelong winning the round 24 game at home so the bookies are trying to lure some WC fans into betting on them by offering very juicy odds to offset the potential losses when Geelong wins.
Not sure if serious?

West Coast media pumping up the tyres of the advertising $
West Coast supporters having sweet FA of it.
They were putrid yesterday, that's why I'm reserving my judgment on Freo until next w/end

Yep. Young, Slayshaw and Soapy Serong will have their work cut out to best those dudes.

Fortunately we have Jackson and the powder keg of simmering resentment that is Overlooked Johnson. He's fuelled by pure hate and one day will realise how to make others hurt all the goddamned time, just like he does. I hope that day is soon.

Luke Parker apparently has a broken arm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back