Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think GC or Essendon have any issue with the player they picked compared to the ones they didn't.

2016 "best players" are probably English, Bolton and Stewart.

Essendon got a best 23 player who has played 134 games in 7 years, they are fine with their choice.
Would rather have Tarranto, Mccluggage, Luke Ryan as well as the 3 you mentioned.

My point is it is subjective, McGrath could play 250-300 games for the Bombers and I don't think the Bombers would regret not having any of the players that have been listed.

Sucks for him personally but Silvagni doing his ACL is a win for the Blues.

I think it exposes them if DeKoning or Pittonet are injured. Silvani was their sacrificial sorta tall that went into the ruck so McKay doesn't need to.

My point is it is subjective, McGrath could play 250-300 games for the Bombers and I don't think the Bombers would regret not having any of the players that have been listed.
For pick 1, it's a pass at best. Regret isn't the right word since I doubt they even think about it, but they'd swap McGrath for a number of those players given the chance.

Darcy after English and Cox after Ryan.
Not for me.
It might seem like Freo bias, but I rate Darcy higher than English.
I see English as a Dean Cox clone. a ruckman who is better in fantasy footy than in actual games.
I want my ruckmen to get down & dirty like Preuss & Mumford
like Darcy does more so than English.
In fact, I'd love to recruit English as a winger for us.
kick out from full back goes to wing 1 = English, wing 2 = Darcy, up the guts = Jackson.
never get marked against out of the backline.
have Clark, Wagner, etc. running past to deliver to open forwards.
a man can dream

Not for me.
It might seem like Freo bias, but I rate Darcy higher than English.
I see English as a Dean Cox clone. a ruckman who is better in fantasy footy than in actual games.
I want my ruckmen to get down & dirty like Preuss & Mumford
like Darcy does more so than English.
In fact, I'd love to recruit English as a winger for us.
kick out from full back goes to wing 1 = English, wing 2 = Darcy, up the guts = Jackson.
never get marked against out of the backline.
have Clark, Wagner, etc. running past to deliver to open forwards.
a man can dream
Darcy not durable enough. Have a feeling English hasn't been either but reckon he was on the park for 23/23 last year which made the difference for me.

Darcy not durable enough. Have a feeling English hasn't been either but reckon he was on the park for 23/23 last year which made the difference for me.
Darcy is better at winning ruck contests, English is better in link up play around the ground. It really depends on what you value higher to split them. We have Jackson as well though, to help with linking up around the ground, who as a bonus is also better than either when the ball hits the deck.
The combination of Darcy and Jackson is better than English and Jackson so we value Darcy higher than English.
Will be interesting when English joins the Eagles as we’ll get to see them go head to head under the spotlight of a derby twice a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean Cox was a generational ruckman. Tom Stewart is the best footballer of that lot by a country mile.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dean Cox was a generational ruckman. Tom Stewart is the best footballer of that lot by a country mile.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
2016? Pick 73 Nick Larkey goes alright too…

We did so well that year. Logue wasn’t a great pick at 8 but Cox, Darcy and Ryan was an epic haul with later picks.

If he turns into a jack watts it would be delicious.

WCE have a good record with top picks, history suggests he will be very good. Luckily they are far from it all over the park and still have a core of senior players that will leave the game in the next two to three years.
Ah Jack Watts....

I will remind everyone about the Dockers and that Legendary 2008 draft.

Pick 3: Stephen Hill

Pick 21: Hayden Ballantyne

Pick 24: Nick Suban

Pick 37: Zac Clarke

Pick 53: Michael Walters

Rookie picks in Matt De Boer, Clancee Pearce and even Greg Broughton were solid or servicable.

Blind Freddy would be better than their current requirement team, it’s obvious they should have taken Johnson instead or Chesser (whatever his name is) I firmly believe they should have taken norths offer and picked up Curtin, Hardeman and Collard with the three picks on offer. Harley may be great, but their list needs massive rejuvenation and he’s only one player.
Blindy Freddy could see the Eagles need to change their medical and fitness staff.

We did when we had webber after all those years

Blindy Freddy could see the Eagles need to change their medical and fitness staff.

We did when we had webber after all those years

We were slow to move him on... Happy for the Eagles to take their sweet time.

I hope they have a small resurgence for two to three seasons, before the next wave of retirements see them back at the bottom.

Come to think of it, a resurgence for them would be 5-7 wins they have been travelling so poorly. It would be good for us if they could win a few at home against 8th-13th ranked teams.

We were slow to move him on... Happy for the Eagles to take their sweet time.

I hope they have a small resurgence for two to three seasons, before the next wave of retirements see them back at the bottom.

Come to think of it, a resurgence for them would be 5-7 wins they have been travelling so poorly. It would be good for us if they could win a few at home against 8th-13th ranked teams.
5 spoons in a row would be better.

Ah Jack Watts....

I will remind everyone about the Dockers and that Legendary 2008 draft.

Pick 3: Stephen Hill

Pick 21: Hayden Ballantyne

Pick 24: Nick Suban

Pick 37: Zac Clarke

Pick 53: Michael Walters

Rookie picks in Matt De Boer, Clancee Pearce and even Greg Broughton were solid or servicable.
7 out of those 8 players played at least 100 games for Fremantle.

7 out of those 8 players played at least 100 games for Fremantle.

We did draft 14 that year so he’s left out quite a few that played less than ten games for the club.

Jay van Berlo probably played more games than the other five combined - had his flash in the pan against the Western Bulldogs where he kicked four on Anzac Day (???) but otherwise didn’t quite look up to it.

Still a very good draft for us overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back