Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because its written law, and application, is far more sensible.

They deem 'dissent' as repeated or continual disputing of an umpire's decision, or showing contempt for it.

Interestingly, their memo 1/6/19 also included that 'umpires should have low tolerance for dissent - keeping in mind we don't want them to have too thin a skin'.

Sensible, professional governance. Not that hard if those making the calls use commonsense.
But 'showing contempt' is considered anything more severe than shaking your head as you run off after being carded, which would still be totally unacceptable to most AFL pundits. I appreciate there is a lack of clarity but it is also very clear that the culture in rugby exists because the consequences for umpire dissent (as that memo outlines!) are absolutely catastrophic.

But 'showing contempt' is considered anything more severe than shaking your head as you run off after being carded, which would still be totally unacceptable to most AFL pundits. I appreciate there is a lack of clarity but it is also very clear that the culture in rugby exists because the consequences for umpire dissent (as that memo outlines!) are absolutely catastrophic.

For mine, there are two key differences that makes rugby a better governed game with this rule:

- that dissent is defined by the words 'repeated' and 'continual'

- they ask their umps to refrain from being too thin skinned.

Bring that to the AFL and I reckon everyone would be happy.

For mine, there are two key differences that makes rugby a better governed game with this rule:

No it wouldn't it just moves the line for the umpire to decide on. It is still subjective and it would still cause anomalies where we'd have pages of people saying "Why did x get 50m when y did much worse and didn't get pinged. There is no consistency". The only line that isn't subjective is zero.

:thumbsu: very common sensical

the thing is, those ruggers have had those sort of rules/culture for generations. Today we see the end results, not the beginnings. I don't mind having the players feeling they on pins and needles after every whistle, even with the petty ones as frustrating as it might be, for this first season of the rule.
In the States the cops would pull you over for any infraction they saw you do in a car. As a young driver, I was paranoid every time I saw one, and so I was a better, safer driver when others my age were getting tickets and having accidents. Here where I am now, the local cops only ticket drivers based on what was the crackdown flavor of the month, and that usually only lasted a day or two. Driving here is very chaotic at best, and even on my shortest commutes there is at least one instance of a unnecessarily dangerous situation narrowly avoided. The players need to be trained. The umps will get more training on how to make the calls. It will improve if they stay the course. Think of it as the umps are young VFLers being thrown into the ones to get a feel of the speed and intensity of the game. :)

No it wouldn't it just moves the line for the umpire to decide on. It is still subjective and it would still cause anomalies where we'd have pages of people saying "Why did x get 50m when y did much worse and didn't get pinged. There is no consistency". The only line that isn't subjective is zero.
sounds like most of the AFL's rules :laughv1:

'zero' is a ridiculous overreaction imo, but respect your pov.

I'm with Hodgey, who recently agreed that the umps are being over zealous, and as a result they're widening the divide between fans and umos, which is the opposite of the intended effect.

Some schnorkel head listed Tex Walker as a trade target for a Top 8 side.... of course we were listed.
I immediately had the need to shower.

GO Catters

Some schnorkel head listed Tex Walker as a trade target for a Top 8 side.... of course we were listed.
I immediately had the need to shower.

GO Catters

Exactly what role would he be playing in the side or is it for our VFL team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we need the cards, or that we see incidents these days that would warrant them.

But I can't see any reason that we shouldn't adopt their dissent rule, word for word, and apply it within a game without the pettiness with which it's interpreted at the moment.
You have cards in local footy because you have angry heroes who go the knuckle.

When was the last time someone threw fists in the afl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back