Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree it has quelled the abuse, but the ridiculous length to which the interpretation has been taken now sees the game punctuated by idiocy instead.
How its applied in the AFL is moronic.
And from what I have seen at local level its not applied the same way. Its only when they get overly verbal with the umps.

Players going "whats that for" and having arms out hasn't been penalised at lower levels, its only guys getting very vocal or swearing that are pinged.

And its how the AFL should be adjudicating it.

I agree it has quelled the abuse, but the ridiculous length to which the interpretation has been taken now sees the game punctuated by idiocy instead.
They need to dial it back a bit for sure, and the interpretation got a bit wild but they needed some rule to put in place. The optics after Greene bumped an umpire were not good.

That's expected really, but I think it'll be gradually dialled back as they find out where the lines are
Exactly, and one must remember it a massive culture shift and so will take time. There will be frustrations, but first some deep cultural and personal behaviors need to adjusted, not easy. People need get away from quick fixes, and the complaints about the painful process of changing those reactions.
Of course there are mistakes and overreactions on the umps part. They are also there with some of the oldest rules in the game. Let it run its course.

I must be the only one that has absolutely no issue with stamping out umpiring dissent in all its forms.
I'm with you. Happy to see attitudes towards umpires change for the better.

I’m all for it too. But to an extent.

I’ll take you to the Daniel McKenzie decision vs GWS in Canberra. I don’t see how pointing at the ground is disrespectful to the umpires.

Sure some things are deserving of a 50 metre penalty. But half the stuff that is getting paid is embarrassing to the league.

The umpires don’t know what’s dissent and what isn’t. Neither do the players.

So although the rule means good. I think they need to have a closer look at the rule and make sure that all parties of a football game are aware of what it ok and what isn’t.

Right now it’s all a mess.

I’m all for it too. But to an extent.

I’ll take you to the Daniel McKenzie decision vs GWS in Canberra. I don’t see how pointing at the ground is disrespectful to the umpires.

Sure some things are deserving of a 50 metre penalty. But half the stuff that is getting paid is embarrassing to the league.

The umpires don’t know what’s dissent and what isn’t. Neither do the players.

So although the rule means good. I think they need to have a closer look at the rule and make sure that all parties of a football game are aware of what it ok and what isn’t.

Right now it’s all a mess.

The umpire shouldn't be out there if they don't have the awareness, maturity and simple commonsense to know what dissent is or isn't.

It adds nothing. It just looks bad now because players haven’t yet fully adjusted. Once they do people will forget all about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to dial it back a bit for sure, and the interpretation got a bit wild but they needed some rule to put in place. The optics after Greene bumped an umpire were not good.

But that's one incident, and easily fixed. If it really was deliberate, suspend the player for 8 weeks. They won't do it again.

It doesn't mean every player does it, because they obviously don't.

Robbo trying to blame poor rule changes on "wokeness coming into the game" on footy360 last night is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

The people making these changes aren't people I would call "woke" its people who make changes, then have to make more changes year on year to offset the bad changes they bring in.
Also particularly funny as Robbo, like everyone else in the media, routinely bemoans the state of the game and demands rule changes as a result.

Works fine in rugby.

Because its written law, and application, is far more sensible.

They deem 'dissent' as repeated or continual disputing of an umpire's decision, or showing contempt for it.

Interestingly, their memo 1/6/19 also included that 'umpires should have low tolerance for dissent - keeping in mind we don't want them to have too thin a skin'.

Sensible, professional governance. Not that hard if those making the calls use commonsense.

I still find it fascinating that we don't have cards in this game. An umpire has no power to remove a player from the game for disciplinary reasons. Perhaps this is some relic from the origins of the game which was played hardly with rules.

Not sure we need the cards, or that we see incidents these days that would warrant them.

But I can't see any reason that we shouldn't adopt their dissent rule, word for word, and apply it within a game without the pettiness with which it's interpreted at the moment.

I'm with you. Mods would have a busy time on here mind you. 😄

Only for the first hour of the new rule...

After that it would likely be a pretty quiet place depending on the numbers that were infracted :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back