Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And now confirmed by Swans for another 2 years in a press release this morning.

Sam Edmund the blindman throwing a dart revealed again.

It's always good for a laugh to see what BS the footy media will throw out there - we generally get these stories on a Tuesday/Wednesday when things are a bit quieter during the season and they want to generate clicks or interest and pretend that their name is relevant

All three players were contesting the footy in the air and he has braced himself in the final split second. You could say he should have gone limp and tried to make the inevitable contact less severe but it's no different to saying to someone don't blink when a gun is about to be fired. He has every right to protect himself.

Does this open up things now where a player can jump into an opponent, collect them high and say "I had no other way to contest the ball"

Did anyone notice that he did something similar, more clearcut a short time later and got pinged. I thought it was obvious that he had decided to go a little harder to lift his team a bit. As said above, this is the new standard?:confusedv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

& Michael Christian.

How this incompetent halfwit is still in his role is one of the great mysteries in the AFL.

To be fair Terry, Michael Christian did suspend Rioli....that said, I agree with your post.

Another abysmal start to season by the tribunal...I better have another look at it...

On one look I had Rioli out and Mitch Robertson let off...

Going for zero and 2..
That's how I saw it,Rioli was never in that marking contest and he knew it in my opinion.

Is there any vision from behind Rowell and showing Rioli's face, cause so many people are saying "only had eyes for the ball!" I haven't seen anything that shows his eyes before the hit. To me, it looked like Rioli still had a foot on the ground when the ball was in Rowell's hands below belt level. I feel with his body control, Rioli had time to leap around or past, at least not flush on. What happened to the old chestnut about leaving your feet. He did state he committed to the contest, so maybe put it off to rust in a millisecond decision, but I thought intent was not taken into consideration.
Frustrating as hell mostly because AFL puts such effort into explaining their decision making paradigm and this or that, and in the end decisions are still seemingly in direct opposition to the language or just a coin-flip.

If you are jumping off the ground knowingly into a contest - and he could see that Rowell was coming the other way - that is why he jumped, then he has a duty of care to ensure avoid head knocks. Rowell was a very lucky man - I was looking at the footage of Daniel Venables again yesterday, and it was a similar collision - player jumping and hip to the head, except Venables ended up never playing again and considerable brain injury from which he will probably never be able to lead a normal life again, much less play footy.

The AFL has to do everything it can to stop this sort of thing from happening, apart from the human tragedy of the likes of Venables and his family, the game will simply go bankrupt unless things change. With a bit of knowledge comes a duty of care and that means you are liable if you don't uphold that duty. So the AFL have to address this issue, and they can start by appealing the Willie Rioli decision.

Random question/thought based on Selwood getting the most games captained achievement:

If all the current teams had the prime versions of their current players - who would be the best team?

My thoughts would be Geelong (Smith, Danger, Higgins, Stewart, Hawkins, Selwood, Duncan, Cameron) would be right up there with Richmond and Melbourne, Sydney and West Coast.

If you are jumping off the ground knowingly into a contest - and he could see that Rowell was coming the other way - that is why he jumped, then he has a duty of care to ensure avoid head knocks. Rowell was a very lucky man - I was looking at the footage of Daniel Venables again yesterday, and it was a similar collision - player jumping and hip to the head

What were the players contesting the mark suppose to do in the Venables situation?
It's just a freakish accident which hopefully won't occur again for many, many years.

Rioli incident was similar. If anything, perhaps Rowell was simply too courageous for his own good?
Selwood has copped some shocking head knocks for doing something similar. If you are going to go running into an oncoming marking contest, you will get split open.
Rioli had already left the ground before Rowell took the mark so it's on Rowell to brace and protect himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back