Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soms tosser ignored the fact he needed a permit, and flew to Tassie out of NSW.

They got him on arrival, tested him, and the idiot tested positive. Now they have a plane load of exposed people running around the state, which hasn't had a positive case for nigh on 12 months.

Yeah I found it interesting the government were trying to condition people to lockdowns beause of Delta yesterday........then what do you know today......

Racism definitely exists in so many forms right around the globe. And the fact that Walker's actions here are defended in any way by anyone tells you we have an enormously long way to go in making for a kinder and fairer society here in Australia, at the very least.

I'm sure many people (perhaps including Tex himself) can't really see what all the fuss is about. And it's actually that casual (yet incredibly callous) nature in all of this that makes the task of overcoming racism even more difficult.
Unless someone has actually lived as a minority they will often find it difficult how it feels, how as you say casual it can be, and how frustrating it is to deal with.

Unless someone has actually lived as a minority they will often find it difficult how it feels, how as you say casual it can be, and how frustrating it is to deal with.
It’s sad that instead of tex allegedly saying “smash that black campaigner” he could of just said the exact same thing without using the person skin colour as an insult….it really does show the intent of the statement

It’s sad that instead of tex allegedly saying “smash that black campaigner” he could of just said the exact same thing without using the person skin colour as an insult….it really does show the intent of the statement
I was thinking the exact same thing. Call him a m****f*** or c***s****.

Although would it be acceptable to say 'that honorable indigenous campaigner'? :tongueoutv1:

I'm part of the anglo saxon majority, and have been abused with reference to my skin colour. My partner has experienced the same thing.

Racism exists everywhere. Doesn't make it right, but it definitely isn't exclusive.

There is an incredibly strong (and incredibly disturbing) correlation between those who form the majority in any society and those who "don't get it".

It appears to be almost a prerequisite, in fact.

I'm part of the anglo saxon majority, and have been abused with reference to my skin colour. My partner has experienced the same thing.

Racism exists everywhere. Doesn't make it right, but it definitely isn't exclusive.
Those sorts of incidents while effin infuriating and frustrating, the more pervasive societal racism is the sort that wears down the soul. Where sometimes even those in the majority aren't really conscious of the fact that they are. For instance, many people here think that blacks and brown-skinned Asians are dirty, and maybe 'think' is too strong a word. Feel maybe. Nothing overt usually, but its just there in their subconscious and it affects some of their interactions, which in fact are rare. The passive aggressive racism is wearying as well. People assuming you can't understand their language so are derogatory in front of you, give you a different menu with higher prices, assumptions about your morals etc. When I first got here, there was a toothpaste brand called Darkie (Chinese was literally 'black man'). It had an Al Jolson sort of logo of a black face and big white smile. It wasn't until 1989 that the English name changed and logo changed to all white. Chinese name is still the same.
I've been lucky in that as a white, foreigner I've also gotten the favorable side of it. Less now though as I've gotten old and considerable less attractive.

I thought rookies have 2-3 years deals anyway…it’s his first year?
2 years, but with no early season debut the was media speculation he had a falling out with the club and would move on

This is a 2-year extension and I'm guessing the club is hoping it puts the speculation to rest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say, credit to the Crows (Taylor Walker aside, obviously) for how they handled such unacceptable conduct within their ranks. They addressed it in a proactive way. Massive respect has to go to that Adelaide official who reported what the ex-captain of his own club had said.

Anything else? Surely they make him apoligize to the bloke he abused, and to his indigenous teammates, who must be angry af at him.

Yep.

Yesterday, conciliation was held in Adelaide between Walker, Young, the Adelaide official and the AFL.

During the conciliation, Walker expressed his sincere remorse apologised to Young and the official for his conduct.

"There is no excuse or justification for the words I said. They are unacceptable and I take full accountability for that," Walker said.

"I am deeply ashamed. I did not intend to cause harm, but I know and understand that I have caused deep hurt to the official who reported the matter and to Robbie Young, to both of their families and to the wider Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community. I apologise to all of them and to the Adelaide and North Adelaide Football Clubs.

"I ask that you respect the wish of the official who reported this matter not to be identified.

"[The conciliation] process has led to a deeper understanding of the hurt that I have caused, and I am embarrassed, ashamed and remorseful."

I have to say, credit to the Crows (Taylor Walker aside, obviously) for how they handled such unacceptable conduct within their ranks. They addressed it in a proactive way. Massive respect has to go to that Adelaide official who reported what the ex-captain of his own club had said.

Firstly racism is unacceptable. Full stop. ... Is this the first case of the comment not being directed to an actual first person being brought up like this? It's a concerning trend that Im not sure if I'm totally comfortable with it and where it may lead. Anyway , It sounds to me like Walker has said something that was very very dumb.

Last edited:
Weak suspension for Tex with 6 weeks and a $20k fine , watch the media ramp up and put a spin on Tex’s personal growth when he runs around next year in the indigenous round …I can just see the media making it all about him and his reflection on his abuse 🙄
He's the only bloke I know who sees his own reflection wherever he goes, and he doesn't even have a mirror.

I thought rookies have 2-3 years deals anyway…it’s his first year?

Rookie is probably a inaccurate word for a R1 pick.Confusing when we have rookies but in the true sense of the word you are correct. He had a 2 year fixed income contract , so they have added a couple and taken him out to 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back