Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

This basic comparison really doesn't make for good reading for WCE

In yesterday's match, GWS fielded:
  • the younger team, and
  • more sub 100 game players

View attachment 1938893

That's a WCE team without Gaff, Sheed & Ryan, but still had 5 players over 29 in:
- McGovern, Cripps, Darling, Yeo & Kelly

Is rock bottom still to come, because they don't really seem like a club who has that mid 20s core to help lead them to the other side of this current pain
Honestly it’s my biggest fear about us. The more Danger deteriorates and we stay competitive gives me hope we’ll avoid the worst. We have money we just need to lure in an A grade plus level talent.

WCE shouldn’t be as bad as they are. On paper they have a solid core of vets. I don’t think I’ve seen a squad with such poor prospects. The AFL will have to bail them out like they did North and Gold Coast

FTA only get so many games so they would have chosen to show Thursday night instead this week with two teams having a bye and having reduced games
FTA only get 3 games a week Friday night, Sat night and usually 1 on either Sat arvo or Sun depending on the sate. So when the AFL have a Thursday we lose the Sat/Sun game on FTA as they show Thursday, Friday and Sat night as the 3 games.

Honestly it’s my biggest fear about us. The more Danger deteriorates and we stay competitive gives me hope we’ll avoid the worst. We have money we just need to lure in an A grade plus level talent.

WCE shouldn’t be as bad as they are. On paper they have a solid core of vets. I don’t think I’ve seen a squad with such poor prospects. The AFL will have to bail them out like they did North and Gold Coast

Don't underestimate how important recruiting people that are resilient, team oriented and driven is. There's a reason we love kids with athletics backgrounds because they've shown a desire to do the hard work on their own with no likelihood of monetary reward.

The West Coast list looks like all desire and resilience went out the door as soon as they fell away from finals contention. It's no surprise a guy like Jermaine Jones who we recruited as much for his character as anything, is one of the few to get the most out of himself there. He's an average footballer but he'll at least get the most out of himself.

Every list has talent. But in the wrong environment the talent won't shine. And if we get the environment and development right we can get access to enough talent to go ok.

AFL scheduling needs a long hard look.. If they aren't going to do a fair 17 game season in which home games swap every year they need to do a rolling system 34 game system.
I'd like a 17 game season personally. Think it would be great.

I'd like a 17 game season personally. Think it would be great.

I think fans would be happy with it, but the league wouldn't be as it would mean less $$$ from TV & media deals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think fans would be happy with it, but the league wouldn't be as it would mean less $$$ from TV & media deals
This is why it should be 17 games a season, so that every 2 years each a team plays every other team home and away, and then to bump the fixture the AFL needs 5 more games for a 22 game season.
What the AFL should do is create a ladder based on the previous 2 year window, where all wins including finals are tallied + percentage.

Then at random teams in that "2 year top 8" are selected to fill in the gaps. So over the last two years since Geelong have enough wins to be in the top 8 of this comp, Geelongs extra five matches for the next 2 year window would come from teams in that "top 8". Conversely, since WCE have been poor, their extra 5 games for the season would come against teams in the bottom half of that 2 year top 8.

Not football, but a really good read into the behind the scenes processes & development of the Tasmanian JackJumpers NBL team

Loved reading about Scott Roth's approach - not saying the AFL team needs a carbon copy approach, but there is some really good ideas and learnings that could be adapted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back