Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts?

let em start tying up their TPP and SC.

they have been gifted all kinds of pic assets and high draft picks.

They wont be able to keep them.

GO Catters

Thoughts?

Minimum salary cap is such a killer for poor sides.

Zurhaar is a good player. At his best he is Paul Chapman like. His best however is sporadic.

But as North have to pay people to meet the minimum he gets a huge slice of the pie from a young age.

If people like him and Thomas are (were) automatic selections in the side each week plus get $750k+ a year what incentive do they have to actually get better?

They are more established than a player like Dempsey now but when they were at Dempsey's point in their career they would still have been getting $400-500k and a golden ticket at selection.

Compare that to Dempsey who is probably on $250k at best and has to do his time in the VFL to get picked. Dempsey has to bust his nut to improve and try and make it, these other guys get it on a platter.

Brisbane​

IN: Jack Payne, Lachie Neale, Darcy Fort

OUT: Darcy Gardiner (Omitted), Jarryd Lyons (Omitted), Connor McKenna (Injured)

B: Brandon Starcevich, Jack Payne, Ryan Lester
HB: Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Noah Answerth
C: Jaspa Fletcher, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry
HF: Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage
F: Cameron Rayner, Joe Daniher, Dayne Zorko
FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale
I/C: Kai Lohmann, Devon Robertson, Callum Ah Chee, Lincoln McCarthy, Darcy Fort

Emerg: Jarryd Lyons, James Tunstill, Darragh Joyce

Collingwood​

IN: Will Hoskin-Elliott, John Noble

OUT: Oleg Markov (Omitted), Steele Sidebottom (Managed)

B: Brayden Maynard, Jeremy Howe, Billy Frampton
HB: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Isaac Quaynor, Darcy Moore
C: Nick Daicos, Scott Pendlebury, Josh Daicos
HF: Patrick Lipinski, Lachie Schultz, Brody Mihocek
F: Bobby Hill, Jamie Elliott, Beau McCreery
FOLL: Mason Cox, Jordan De Goey, Tom Mitchell
I/C: John Noble, Darcy Cameron, Fin Macrae, Jack Crisp, Reef McInnes

Emerg: Lachie Sullivan, Harvey Harrison, Oleg Markov

Hey guys

Sorry if this is not the right area or I'm unwelcome, but does anyone have gather round tickets they don't need?

Tickets opened up the other day again and the club stuffed up member barcodes and by the time they fixed it all tickets were gone again. I normally go with my 8 year old and he really wants to go back to Adelaide

Hey guys

Sorry if this is not the right area or I'm unwelcome, but does anyone have gather round tickets they don't need?

Tickets opened up the other day again and the club stuffed up member barcodes and by the time they fixed it all tickets were gone again. I normally go with my 8 year old and he really wants to go back to Adelaide
They're like hens teeth. Been asking everyone I know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But as North have to pay people to meet the minimum he gets a huge slice of the pie from a young age.

If people like him and Thomas are (were) automatic selections in the side each week plus get $750k+ a year what incentive do they have to actually get better?
Not losing?

In fairness, the way to get around all of that is to massively front-load contracts.

North also have to overpay because, well, they're s**t.

Zurhaar is a good player. At his best he is Paul Chapman like. His best however is sporadic.

They are more established than a player like Dempsey now but when they were at Dempsey's point in their career they would still have been getting $400-500k and a golden ticket at selection.

Compare that to Dempsey who is probably on $250k at best and has to do his time in the VFL to get picked. Dempsey has to bust his nut to improve and try and make it, these other guys get it on a platter.
Very insightful and you are so right. This is a massive intangible, that ultimately ends up lowering the performance and standards of lower clubs. The same was said by Hardwick when he went to GC. These guys werent training hard enough.

Overall, it actually cannot be reversed, as the culture of this behaviour gets into the fabric of the club. Only pressure to be in the team and to earn the money and reputation drives clubs to success, which in turn builds that self-fulling prophesy of more hunger and therefore continued success.

You almost have to do a wholesale cleanout of players and personnel to get rid of this malaise.

Clubs front load contracts to get around the minimum cap, when they are s**t and hope to time a recruitment that can be front load that is also coupled with a back loaded contract for a different player. To gve a few years an increased effective cap size. They can does this while still building up 10% banked cap space.

Last edited:
I lived in Walkerville when I was in Adelaide. I think the Alma was that pub where the road splits going up Payneham Road? Danger and Sloane owned it? I never went there. On point having a heap of teenagers and Goodie.
You might be thinking of the maid and magpie but the Alma is nearby. Alma had a bit less teenage drinking but similar. Been ages since I've been to either

Added: Danger sold up his share of the Alma a while ago but the remaining crows guys sold out only recently. Tex, Sloane, Ricciuto

Last edited:
Team selection as if the era is over

They spoke about it on the news just now and how it may be bit of a wake-up call and the need for an impact otherwise a player like Crisp on a 200+ consecutive game streak, may be over

But that seems a laugh of an excuse - they dropped an under performing Sidebottom but he's listed as "managed", and Pendlebury is still in the starting line-up

If they were serious about how poor their start to the season has been, they'd make genuinely tough calls and not try to be friends with the veterans

Jonathan Brown has called time on the Pies.
What I loved most about that segment was that it was a number one takeaways piece where they both said one thing. In the same segment that Browny is saying its over for Collingwood Buckley is reversing his stance and saying Geelong's era is not over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back