Oppo Camp Non-Geelong football (AFL) discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Mayne ( presently in the Collingwood vfl side ) on a 4 year $2 million contract - $500k a year - 10k a week for the next 4 years - that is absolutely insane - and the players association reckon their underpayed

Heard Gary Pert trying to defend the decision to recruit Mayne - saying the list manager and the coach would have had to sign off on it - i just think Mayne is a scrubber - he would have driven the Freo supporters crazy - if their was a crunch mark - handball - or goal he would usually stufff it up

I read that power house club Adelaide ( who have been in the comp for 27 yers ) equalled their best ever start to a season winning 4 in a row - WOW . Geelong what was in 2009 and 2011 won their 1st 13 games - also 2007 won about 15 on the trot - and also in 2008 won about 15 on the trot - some of those Geelong records in the last 10 years are beyond excellent

Also on the Cats - i read that the 86 point win - was the highest Geelong win over Hawthorn since 1949

Chris Mayne ( presently in the Collingwood vfl side ) on a 4 year $2 million contract - $500k a year - 10k a week for the next 4 years - that is absolutely insane - and the players association reckon their underpayed

Heard Gary Pert trying to defend the decision to recruit Mayne - saying the list manager and the coach would have had to sign off on it - i just think Mayne is a scrubber - he would have driven the Freo supporters crazy - if their was a crunch mark - handball - or goal he would usually stufff it up

I read that power house club Adelaide ( who have been in the comp for 27 yers ) equalled their best ever start to a season winning 4 in a row - WOW . Geelong what was in 2009 and 2011 won their 1st 13 games - also 2007 won about 15 on the trot - and also in 2008 won about 15 on the trot - some of those Geelong records in the last 10 years are beyond excellent

Also on the Cats - i read that the 86 point win - was the highest Geelong win over Hawthorn since 1949
One thing is strange that you don't get to read, for all the hype about Adelaides forwardline with Tex and Eddie, Menz and Hawk are actually out performing them and we are the most efficient side inside F50 this year, but the media doesn't mention that but goes ape droppings over the Adelaide forwardline.

No media attention just makes punting on geelong all the sweeter. I know this board can be an echo chamber of praise and misery at the same time, but this side is the best I've seen since 2011, more akin to our 2005 side. Although oppo teams should be showing us respect, I'm loving seeing how the saint supporters think they're going to roll us like we're nothing.

more akin to our 2005 side

Nothing like it.
That 2005 side had an average age of 23 years, 300 days and only 1770 total games experience.

The team on the weekend was 26 years with 2300 total games experience. Our premiership window is now, it won't be in two years time (like the 05 list).

Bundy has done his shoulder again and is out for the 2017 season. (source SEN)

Our 2009 draftees must surely be the most injury-afflicted group of recruits from a single draft class in the history of the AFL. In terms of pure talent identification alone it's arguably among Wells' top 5 drafts - to come away with three players of prodigious ability without a single pick in the top 15 is some effort - but the extent to which nearly every member of that draft class has suffered long-term career interruptions is quite extraordinary. I'm not sure on specific stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if Menzel, Christensen, Vardy and Cowan had collectively missed a combined 60-70% of their possible games through injury since being drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they would be nasty unpleasant people

Yep, whilst you reap what you sow, injuries and serious ones at that are not something you'd wish upon anyone.

I still remember him throwing his body into everything; probably why he's injured a lot.

Yep, whilst you reap what you sow, injuries and serious ones at that are not something you'd wish upon anyone.

I still remember him throwing his body into everything; probably why he's injured a lot.
Wasn't that why he had to leave Geelong?:)

Bundy has done his shoulder again and is out for the 2017 season. (source SEN)

"A FRUSTRATED Brisbane will demand answers after Allen Christensen was ruled out for the rest of the AFL season due to a broken metal plate on his troublesome collarbone.

The unlucky Lions midfielder received the devastating news after pulling up sore from a NEAFL game on the weekend – his first game back from his second broken collarbone in 12 months".

Read more here: http://www.krockfootball.com.au/afl-news/season-over-for-bundy/

"A FRUSTRATED Brisbane will demand answers after Allen Christensen was ruled out for the rest of the AFL season due to a broken metal plate on his troublesome collarbone.

The unlucky Lions midfielder received the devastating news after pulling up sore from a NEAFL game on the weekend – his first game back from his second broken collarbone in 12 months".

Read more here: http://www.krockfootball.com.au/afl-news/season-over-for-bundy/
What's staggering from that article is they actually put him in the lions leadership group.

What's staggering from that article is they actually put him in the lions leadership group.
He's got to be on his 3rd year up there now isnt he?

Id hate to see his # of games played over the duration. Fair to say when fit and applied a great little player.
Havent seen that in 5 years or so.

His next contract ,if he gets one, wont reflect where he should be.
Shame, he had so much in front of him.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back