Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I watched him yesterday on a replay and he had a solid game.
Nothing that stood out but did okay
17 disposals (5 contested) @ 76% accuracy, 5 marks, 2 clearances but only one tackle. With only 60 % TOG
Eagles have a lot of injury worries ahead of round 1
So he may actually get a game early
If not he has at least got back on an AFL list

I watched him yesterday on a replay and he had a solid game.
Nothing that stood out but did okay
17 disposals (5 contested) @ 76% accuracy, 5 marks, 2 clearances but only one tackle. With only 60 % TOG
Eagles have a lot of injury worries ahead of round 1
So he may actually get a game early
If not he has at least got back on an AFL list
I wonder if we were waiting to find out whether WEagles would keep him, otherwise we would have taken him back.

Bit of a stitch up as we would have loved to keep him

I wonder if we were waiting to find out whether WEagles would keep him, otherwise we would have taken him back.

Bit of a stitch up as we would have loved to keep him
I doubt it.

We have decent depth of inside mids, and drafted another in Tunstill, who probably offers more, though is very raw.

Then we have young Ashcroft joining at the end of this year.

In the future, I can see us playing just two genuine, old style inside mids, while rotating a lot more running or power players through the midfield. Something that’s a hybrid of Richmond’s and Melbourne’s styles.

I doubt it.

We have decent depth of inside mids, and drafted another in Tunstill, who probably offers more, though is very raw.

In the future, I can see us playing just two genuine, old style inside mids, while rotating a lot more running or power players through the midfield. Something that’s a hybrid of Richmond’s and Melbourne’s styles.
Who would be the two genuine inside miss going forward? Outside of Lyons and Neale all our other inside mids have a little bit more to them than that.

I doubt it.

Wasn't the narrative from the club they wanted to keep him but no list spots at all since we didn't want to waste a pick in the 40s?

I feel like moving forward too we don't have much pure inside mid backup

Wasn't the narrative from the club they wanted to keep him but no list spots at all since we didn't want to waste a pick in the 40s?

We'd have kept him if we had the hindsight of CEYs bullshit IMO.

Plenty of inside mid backup imho:

Dev (Not looking like best 22 at this point)
Matho (Limited but does a job when required)
E. Smith (Cant get a look in, but given an opportunity on the inside would do just fine)

Plus guys who might be a bit raw in that position but play/ will play big minutes in the middle in the VFL:

T. Berry (Hard at it, bit of a workhorse at VFL level)
J. Tunstill (Looks fantastic at this early stage)
C. McFayden (Similar to Rayner and Cocky in how he plays. Spends considerable time in the middle)

Not to mention guys like J Berry, Clugga, Zorko and Robbo, who would play more minutes on the inside if Lyons and Neale miss games.

I just don't see where Joyce fits in at this point. I guess we would have kept him if we knew CEY wasn't up for the Jab. However I really don't think he would have played this year.

Interestingly, a good chunk of those guys I mentioned as buck up may not be at the club next year. E. Smith, T. Berry and McFayden would need to break inti the senior side most likely to earn another contract. It also wouldn't surprise me if West Coast came calling for Robertson. If he isn't able to play regular AFL, he may be tempted and I wouldn't be upset. He is a very good young player and should be best 22.

Plenty of inside mid backup imho:

Dev (Not looking like best 22 at this point)
Matho (Limited but does a job when required)
E. Smith (Cant get a look in, but given an opportunity on the inside would do just fine)

Plus guys who might be a bit raw in that position but play/ will play big minutes in the middle in the VFL:

T. Berry (Hard at it, bit of a workhorse at VFL level)
J. Tunstill (Looks fantastic at this early stage)
C. McFayden (Similar to Rayner and Cocky in how he plays. Spends considerable time in the middle)

Not to mention guys like J Berry, Clugga, Zorko and Robbo, who would play more minutes on the inside if Lyons and Neale miss games.

I just don't see where Joyce fits in at this point. I guess we would have kept him if we knew CEY wasn't up for the Jab. However I really don't think he would have played this year.

Interestingly, a good chunk of those guys I mentioned as buck up may not be at the club next year. E. Smith, T. Berry and McFayden would need to break inti the senior side most likely to earn another contract. It also wouldn't surprise me if West Coast came calling for Robertson. If he isn't able to play regular AFL, he may be tempted and I wouldn't be upset. He is a very good young player and should be best 22.
Dev is pretty close to best 22 imo.
An injury or bad form to any of our small forwards, mids, wingers and he is in the team and might even be 23rd man for quite a few games this year.
He has had a couple of little issues slowing him down of late with a bit of a back twinge in the latter stages of pre-season and now a bit of a Hammy which very well could be related to his back.
He isn’t far away and with a couple of ageing players in Zorko and Robbo he could be best 22 and a regular very soon.

Who would be the two genuine inside miss going forward? Outside of Lyons and Neale all our other inside mids have a little bit more to them than that.
I’m not sure after Lyons and Neale.

I’d like to DevRob in the side in place of Lyons somewhat soonish.

If we’re talking in 3 years time, possibly JBerry and DevRob as our pure inside mids.

We’d still have Cockatoo, Rayner, Bailey and McCluggage rotating through there, and Will Ashcroft.

Without putting too much expectation on him, you’d hope Tunstill develops in to an inside/outside mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back