Remove this Banner Ad

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
"
NORTH Melbourne has nabbed Richmond scout Will Thursfield to be its new recruiting manager.

Thursfield, who played 77 games for the Tigers between 2005-11, has been a member of the club's recruiting team for the past five seasons during its premiership era

---

"Will comes to us with great experience, he is no stranger to the AFL landscape after his time as a player and an administrator,” Roos head of football talent Brady Rawlings said.

"Will is a person of high-end character and we are thrilled he is joining our club to take the next step forward in his career."

Thursfield will officially begin at Arden St on February 1, 2023"

"
NORTH Melbourne has nabbed Richmond scout Will Thursfield to be its new recruiting manager.

Thursfield, who played 77 games for the Tigers between 2005-11, has been a member of the club's recruiting team for the past five seasons during its premiership era

---

"Will comes to us with great experience, he is no stranger to the AFL landscape after his time as a player and an administrator,” Roos head of football talent Brady Rawlings said.

"Will is a person of high-end character and we are thrilled he is joining our club to take the next step forward in his career."

I guess it was bound to happen eventually. We have good recruiting staff, they were bound to be poached eventually.

"

---

Man Clarko really must be eating into the Roo’s soft cap if they are just getting a relatively inexperienced recruiter to be the top dog at Arden St

Man Clarko really must be eating into the Roo’s soft cap if they are just getting a relatively inexperienced recruiter to be the top dog at Arden St
Hardly inexperienced.
Being doing it for what 7yrs now?

Hardly inexperienced.
Being doing it for what 7yrs now?
7 years isn’t a massive amount of time, especially if they are filling such an important job
Clarke had over 15 years in the space before he took over for us by comparison

If you are poaching someone from another club after the entire recruitment team walked out, you would think they would be looking for someone with a better CV

Says to me that money definitely stopped them from getting a stronger and more experienced candidate

7 years isn’t a massive amount of time, especially if they are filling such an important job
Clarke had over 15 years in the space before he took over for us by comparison

If you are poaching someone from another club after the entire recruitment team walked out, you would think they would be looking for someone with a better CV

Says to me that money definitely stopped them from getting a stronger and more experienced candidate
Better CV?
How many out there with a CV that he was part of a team that he helped mould a team that we had in the recent past & now from 2015 onwards.

Better CV?
How many out there with a CV that he was part of a team that he helped mould a team that we had in the recent past & now from 2015 onwards.
Not saying he’s a bad get for them but there is a big difference to someone being present during the process compared to someone who actually led the process or been a key figure in it

Especially because he has had zero experience in the role in terms of being a head of the department

Not saying he’s a bad get for them but there is a big difference to someone being present during the process compared to someone who actually led the process or been a key figure in it

Especially because he has had zero experience in the role in terms of being a head of the department
Everyone is a Rookie in yr1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone is a Rookie in yr1.
No doubt, but if Clarko wasn’t taking up a massive amount of the soft cap I doubt they would be targeting a rookie to lead the entire recruiting team after a mass exodus of the entire department on the eve of the trade period a few months ago

That was my initial point
They have priced themselves out of the market to get an experienced person in the role and I dare say we will see similar concessions at North Melbourne due to how the soft cap works and how much Clarko would be eating up out of it

No doubt, but if Clarko wasn’t taking up a massive amount of the soft cap I doubt they would be targeting a rookie to lead the entire recruiting team after a mass exodus of the entire department on the eve of the trade period a few months ago

They have priced themselves out of the market to get an experienced person in the role and I dare say we will see similar concessions at North Melbourne due to how the soft cap works and how much Clarko would be eating up out of it
You could be right but then again was there anyone of quality & experience available ?

Todd Viney, Brady Rawlings and Scott Clayton are all above Will.

Rawlings and Clayton have both been National Recruiting managers in their own right.

He's hardly being thrown to the wolves with no experience around him and it's clearly not Clarko eating up all the cap, especially as Ratten was only also just appointed a few days ago.

Todd Viney, Brady Rawlings and Scott Clayton are all above Will.

Rawlings and Clayton have both been National Recruiting managers in their own right.

He's hardly being thrown to the wolves with no experience around him and it's clearly not Clarko eating up all the cap, especially as Ratten was only also just appointed a few days ago.
Don’t think I mentioned him being thrown to the wolves, just his appointment as recruiting manager as someone with a relatively small amount of experience would indicate a financial decision and not one that would of been made if the soft cap wasn’t a concern

Likewise for the Rutts appointment if anything that also shows the possibility of soft cap implications being felt, he would still be getting paid contracted money from St Kilda due to the nature of how he was removed from the club

Richmond has made no secrets of soft cap concerns and them signing on Teague and Truck recently would also have similar financial benefits with them still being owed money from previous clubs

If you think the Clarko and the money he is on isn’t impacting decisions across the entire football department you are living in a land of ignorance and wishful thinking

Im not saying it won’t work out fantastically for all involved but it’s pretty clear that it’s having an impact

Don’t think I mentioned him being thrown to the wolves, just his appointment as recruiting manager as someone with a relatively small amount of experience would indicate a financial decision and not one that would of been made if the soft cap wasn’t a concern

Likewise for the Rutts appointment if anything that also shows the possibility of soft cap implications being felt, he would still be getting paid contracted money from St Kilda due to the nature of how he was removed from the club

Richmond has made no secrets of soft cap concerns and them signing on Teague and Truck recently would also have similar financial benefits with them still being owed money from previous clubs

If you think the Clarko and the money he is on isn’t impacting decisions across the entire football department you are living in a land of ignorance and wishful thinking

Im not saying it won’t work out fantastically for all involved but it’s pretty clear that it’s having an impact

Doesn't he have like 7 years experience as a recruiter? But what if he's incredibly highly rated?

Every NRM steps into the role for the first time once....

Doesn't he have like 7 years experience as a recruiter? But what if he's incredibly highly rated?

Every NRM steps into the role for the first time once....
7 years is a relatively small amount of experience in the area, I mentioned Clarke earlier who when promoted at Richmond had been doing the job for over 15 years and at multiple clubs

Once again not saying his appointment is or will be a bad one but definitely seems interesting to say the least, you could also raise the fact of reports of Clarko being a little bit of a control freak across the football department and not having someone with any experience in the role potentially problematic

I thought he was gonna be our next Gaspar and him Moore and McGuane looked like they'd hold down our back KPF spots for a decade. Crumbled before it took off. Can't remember why Thursfield fell from grace heard a few rumblings about effort and attitude. I remember him always playing well against the Hawks and they offered us a really juicy 1st rounder for him which we knocked back. Within a year he was retired at age 25 without an injury was always bizarre cos that never happens. Well he was a good recruiter while we had him, considering the club offered Edwards a recruiting role (make no mistake he left for more coin and a cruisey role as an Aboriginal welfare officer, which would have to be the easiest job in the land) hopefully we're not too put out in the recruiting Dept. Maybe Tom Scully's Dad's available... Could probably pay him off the books in meat pies and hot dogs 🤣🤣🤣

images - 2022-12-03T133902.962.jpeg

Mate he’s a star and an up and comer. Sometimes you pick the person that’s going to hopefully be in the role for an extended period of time. He grows with the club and comes from a very experienced program. No doubt we rate him highly ourselves - Clarko would have got intel on him from Dimma.

Maybe we get him back once Clarke has his time but he has years ahead of him.

I thought he was gonna be our next Gaspar and him Moore and McGuane looked like they'd hold down our back KPF spots for a decade. Crumbled before it took off. Can't remember why Thursfield fell from grace heard a few rumblings about effort and attitude. I remember him always playing well against the Hawks and they offered us a really juicy 1st rounder for him which we knocked back. Within a year he was retired at age 25 without an injury was always bizarre cos that never happens. Well he was a good recruiter while we had him, considering the club offered Edwards a recruiting role (make no mistake he left for more coin and a cruisey role as an Aboriginal welfare officer, which would have to be the easiest job in the land) hopefully we're not too put out in the recruiting Dept. Maybe Tom Scully's Dad's available... Could probably pay him off the books in meat pies and hot dogs 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 1566614

He was never the same after his ACL. I’m not sure he ever got back to full afl level standard after that. They don’t always work out. Plus playing under Wallace would have been shite

Remove this Banner Ad

Back