Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

They are almost in a good position with their first being so early they can get players for unders. Guys like Baker, McGrath etc aren’t A graders but also aren’t going to make them
cough up top two picks so they can attract them and have the whipping hand in trades. Maybe they offer Brayshaw huge money to play off half back as their younger albeit a poor mans Hodge.
Plenty of reasons to chase those types.
Players move for different reasons.

Best opportunity for the Roos for the long term is go to the draft, trade in young players not getting a game at another club without giving up too much assets and if you to assist the kids get in a Hodge type player for free.

My club made a lot of mistakes in trading ie Hogan, Wilson, McCarthy, Hamling, and Lobb.

What's work out is trading in Aish, Brodie, Clark, and Acres. Young players not getting games who were former first picks.

The mistake group we gave a lot of trade assets for nothing. The other group we didn't give that much for.

Getting back to the Roos.

Baker and McGrath would be fine because they 24 and in 5 years will be 29.

North Melbourne should be only trading for 24 years and under.

Players move for different reasons.

Best opportunity for the Roos for the long term is go to the draft, trade in young players not getting a game at another club without giving up too much assets and if you to assist the kids get in a Hodge type player for free.

My club made a lot of mistakes in trading ie Hogan, Wilson, McCarthy, Hamling, and Lobb.

What's work out is trading in Aish, Brodie, Clark, and Acres. Young players not getting games who were former first picks.

The mistake group we gave a lot of trade assets for nothing. The other group we didn't give that much for.

Getting back to the Roos.

Baker and McGrath would be fine because they 24 and in 5 years will be 29.

North Melbourne should be only trading for 24 years and under.
Half of that makes no sense. Hogan, Wilson, McCarthy and Wilson were probably all between 21-24. They should be perfect and would make your club a premiership contender right now had they come off.
All you are doing is comparing good recruits with poor ones.

North aren’t starting a rebuild like West Coast for instance they are probably half way through.

Half of that makes no sense. Hogan, Wilson, McCarthy and Wilson were probably all between 21-24. They should be perfect and would make your club a premiership contender right now had they come off.
All you are doing is comparing good recruits with poor ones.

North aren’t starting a rebuild like West Coast for instance they are probably half way through.

Huh? North still have to find replacements (long term) for the likes of Goldstein, Cunnington, Ziebell etc...

North just need to do what Melbourne did & keep going to the draft, their will be a lot of pain and will be down the bottom for a long time.
unfortnately players/free agents are not going to want to go to a club that is so uncompetitive.

North just need to do what Melbourne did & keep going to the draft, their will be a lot of pain and will be down the bottom for a long time.
unfortnately players/free agents are not going to want to go to a club that is so uncompetitive.
Melbourne didn’t take a first rounder in 2016, 2017 and 2018

What point you trying to make? they got Oliver & Petracca top picks they nailed before that.
Probably was a little off point but just that there is no reason to not trade out if they think it’s for the right player. Melbourne’s 2016 list only had 9 premiership players on it and only 3 of those were top 3 in the best and fairest that year.
Richmond brought in half of their premiership side in the three off seasons before 2017. The have two ways to attract players, Money and opportunities. Imo they should be aggressive and use those options.
If North truly rate guys like Thomas, Larkey, Horne, LDU, McKay, Phillips then they are probably a hell of a lot closer to being able to turn things around then people expect.

Very interested to see what we do with Pick 1/2.

I would personally split it for multiple picks inside the top 10, however i cant see the club going for it.

If we get pick 1 I think we bid on Ashcroft and take Wardlaw. If we get 2 I think we take Busslinger. It's pretty hard to split top 10 picks unless somebody gets compo (like the Bombers a couple of years back).

If we get pick 1 I think we bid on Ashcroft and take Wardlaw. If we get 2 I think we take Busslinger. It's pretty hard to split top 10 picks unless somebody gets compo (like the Bombers a couple of years back).

Pies if JDG moves on? Would jump at the chance for Wardlaw and rejuvenate their midfield with him and Daicos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Walsh being brought in to advise North on their list, Stephenson must be feeling very uncomfortable

With Walsh being brought in to advise North on their list, Stephenson must be feeling very uncomfortable
Again mate, I think he’s safe because he has no interested parties.

We are stuck with him

North would be crazy not to make another offer to JDG.
He’s worth the risk.
Can play forward/midfield. JHF, JDG and LDU. Some serious bulls there.
Have capacity and nothing to lose.

Will be interesting to see what Walsh does. I suspect he’ll make an immediate impact.

North would be crazy not to make another offer to JDG.
He’s worth the risk.
Can play forward/midfield. JHF, JDG and LDU. Some serious bulls there.
Have capacity and nothing to lose.
As a player yeah sure.

But with the medias harrasment of JHF I’m not sure they’ll bring in his direct media magnet rival, it might just be too much

WCE now jumped ahead of North on the ladder.

Being the Wooden Spooner makes it easier for the AFL to donate some Priority pick assistance

As a player yeah sure.

But with the medias harrasment of JHF I’m not sure they’ll bring in his direct media magnet rival, it might just be too much
Yeah I don’t think North as a club have the capabilities to be able to manage media scrutiny at the moment. They should look to other fa and trade targets.

Guys like De Goey would be a terrible fit for a rebuilding club. I wouldn't be wanting him to guide 18 yos on how to get the best out of themselves.

North would be much better off targeting a few guys rated 18-25 at stronger clubs and using late picks to grab them. Combine them with what could be 3 top 20 picks (with an end of first round priority pick) and keep plugging away.

Could end up something like:
IN: pick 1, pick 19, pick 20, Rhylee West, Ben Miller
OUT: Goldstein, and non best 25 players

WCE now jumped ahead of North on the ladder.

Being the Wooden Spooner makes it easier for the AFL to donate some Priority pick assistance
I doubt it matters tbh our stats speak for themselves 8 wins over 3 seasons, averaging less than 3 wins a year should easily get you pp

2 years prior to that we were 1 win off the spoon also

Back