Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

ummmm

that isn't entirely true.

Whilst you can't make clubs move per se you can also tell clubs that you are no longer going to prop them up financially. If they can't survive on their own 2 feet than they will just go under on their own or move to more financially stable markets.
But literally all clubs are propped up financially in some way by the AFL in regards to funding. You couldn’t pull the funding of one specific club.

But literally all clubs are propped up financially in some way by the AFL in regards to funding. You couldn’t pull the funding of one specific club.
Why not?

I meant more that The AFL could just normalize the funding

So they are all equal

Yes they can and they should as soon as the fixture becomes equal.

No one would then argue for extra revenue or actually need it. Coll V GC 4pm on a Sunday in the middle of winter.
Adelaide playing Port once in a year.

Adelaide playing Port once in a year.
Well I'd think it could be every second year they play each other twice.
But yes that is a valid point.
But tbh honest that probably assists Vic clubs as well.
We now have another round and it's another opportunity for North to play an interstate side.

Im ok with that, but that comes at a cost.

If player retention would be a genuine issue for those teams then WA3, Newcastle or NQLD probably get the nod.

I don't have enough data about where the growth areas are.
Theyre even worse options besides a third wa or sa team, North Queensland and Newcastle don’t exactly have a solid history of producing sporting teams besides Newcastle jets

Jared “big fish” Polec likes this.
Enjoy the brad Scott false hope while it lasts, you’ll come back to this thread in 5 years time when he’s topped up the whole list and ruined the development of any of your young players

If North don’t come up with a plan to stand on their own two feet financially they will be first in the gun to be relocated or fend for themselves by being cut off from the tit of the AFL.

They need to stop being seen as the handout club on and off the field.

Seems evident that some of their fans are struggling with this concept so will be a hard habit for those in charge to break.
My only conclusion after reading your post is that you’re either very very young or been living in a bubble for all your life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me guess, you’re one of the ones that believe handouts will save your club.
What handouts do you speak of. I'm curious.

And why is NMFC so important to you.Are you a closet fan. I doubt I've ever commented on anything Richmond, as frankly I couldn't give a **** about them. I don't wish them ill will of course but the day to day running ,the zero flags for around 40 years means nothing to me.

I was happy for the Tigers faithful when they came good.

Which I believe would be deemed normal behaviour

What handouts do you speak of. I'm curious.

And why is NMFC so important to you.Are you a closet fan. I doubt I've ever commented on anything Richmond, as frankly I couldn't give a * about them. I don't wish them ill will of course but the day to day running ,the zero flags for around 40 years means nothing to me.

I was happy for the Tigers faithful when they came good.

Which I believe would be deemed normal behaviour
Just because I support Richmond doesn’t mean I can’t be critical or have observations of other clubs.

And just because you feel a certain way about posting or not posting about an oppo club doesn’t mean everyone must do the same. That’s what the main boards for after all. I’d never dare to post in the safe space that is the north board though. Would get eaten alive by the single minded views there.

In regards to handouts, as a keen north follower you would be aware of the additional above and beyond payments the afl gives your club each year just to continue to run.

You know, annual funding like you see in this article…

I’ve been equally critical of both my club and Carlton over the years when they both had weak leadership, lack of strong administration staff and no strategic direction. When all this came together though, the results both on and off the field reflected the strength and stability of the club. Richmond’s leadership of O’Neal, Gale, Balme and Hardwick with a solid plan delivered them 3 flags. Let’s see what an era without them entails. It definitely seems a lot more daunting that’s for sure.

Carlton now have stability in the same positions and are set for sustained on and off field success. I’m merely stating the formula for clubs to be successful. It means having people in the right positions, having a sustainable long term strategy where the club is viable on its own on and off the field without needing to be seen as a handout club.

North seem to have been stuck in this mire. And I believe they have a handout, almost victim mentality that their club deserves draft picks and financial compensation for the position they are in.

I don’t believe this is a recipe for long term success. What do you think?

Just because I support Richmond doesn’t mean I can’t be critical or have observations of other clubs.

And just because you feel a certain way about posting or not posting about an oppo club doesn’t mean everyone must do the same. That’s what the main boards for after all. I’d never dare to post in the safe space that is the north board though. Would get eaten alive by the single minded views there.

In regards to handouts, as a keen north follower you would be aware of the additional above and beyond payments the afl gives your club each year just to continue to run.

You know, annual funding like you see in this article…

I’ve been equally critical of both my club and Carlton over the years when they both had weak leadership, lack of strong administration staff and no strategic direction. When all this came together though, the results both on and off the field reflected the strength and stability of the club. Richmond’s leadership of O’Neal, Gale, Balme and Hardwick with a solid plan delivered them 3 flags. Let’s see what an era without them entails. It definitely seems a lot more daunting that’s for sure.

Carlton now have stability in the same positions and are set for sustained on and off field success. I’m merely stating the formula for clubs to be successful. It means having people in the right positions, having a sustainable long term strategy where the club is viable on its own on and off the field without needing to be seen as a handout club.

North seem to have been stuck in this mire. And I believe they have a handout, almost victim mentality that their club deserves draft picks and financial compensation for the position they are in.

I don’t believe this is a recipe for long term success. What do you think?
Oh so you begrudge North getting more financial support than Richmond . Yes a massive strain on the comp who will generate 4.5 billion alone from just the current tv deal.

You’d think it was coming out of your pocket. I couldn’t care who gets what tbh. But I do know we get the shitty end of the stick re fixture to enable the bigger clubs to play twice etc. which of course allows the AFL to generate more revenue.

So yeah I don’t see it as a concern at all. Still not sure why you do. Oh we also along with another lot of the less fortunate clubs got a terrible deal at Marvel. What North, Saints and Bullies need is a boutique stadium which we’d control. Similar to the successful Cats model.

I still think you’re investing way too much into something that doesn’t impact your life one little bit.

But that’s just my opinion of course

Oh so you begrudge North getting more financial support than Richmond . Yes a massive strain on the comp who will generate 4.5 billion alone from just the current tv deal.
I don’t begrudge north, where have I ever said that?

I just don’t believe that clubs with a lack of strategic vision, without strong and stable leadership and not having talented resource placed in the right areas within the administration and football department is the pathway to success.

Do you think that getting financial and draft pick handouts is a better pathway to success than the above?

I don’t begrudge north, where have I ever said that?

I just don’t believe that clubs with a lack of strategic vision, without strong and stable leadership and not having talented resource placed in the right areas within the administration and football department is the pathway to success.

Do you think that getting financial and draft pick handouts is a better pathway to success than the above?

If only North took an initiative that no one else in the competition wanted, say like Friday night footy, which nearly every other VFL club (other than Sydney) shunned, and turned it into the number 1 revenue generating match of the round for marketing and viewership….

Gee then they might be able to make a go of things.

They haven’t got the strategic vision and leadership though….even if they did, the AFL would probably share the fixture around to make things fair right? The same way they share Dreamtime, ANZAC day fixtures and return games vs Vic Clubs….

If only North took an initiative that no one else in the competition wanted, say like Friday night footy, which nearly every other VFL club (other than Sydney) shunned, and turned it into the number 1 revenue generating match of the round for marketing and viewership….

Gee then they might be able to make a go of things.

They haven’t got the strategic vision and leadership though….even if they did, the AFL would probably share the fixture around to make things fair right? The same way they share Dreamtime, ANZAC day fixtures and return games vs Vic Clubs….
Their first step is to develop a strong financial pathway from their Tassie exit. Has this been articulated to members yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back