Status
Not open for further replies.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With just over 5 days to go I thought I would start a thread regarding round 1.

Great round 1 opponant - they just kept us out of 8th last year and with only 1 spot difference there is little between these 2 teams. Bookies and most tippers have this as a genuine 50/50 game.

Grima and Ziebell are the 2 that look likely to miss from our best 22 and Essendon will be close to full strength.

Key Match Ups - Forwards:

Petrie V Hooker - great match up for us here and the Dish I think easily has Hooker covered. He is faster, stronger and much better in the air. The key is keeping Fletcher away as the third man up. Last year Fletcher spent time on Adams and will take any player that will allow him to get to contests invlovinig Petrie. Who ever Fletcher goes to will need to keep him away from Petrie. Pears will be option 2 for Drew.

Pears V Edwards - Pears has the potential to become an elite backman - he had an injured interupted 2011 season. I think he will start on Edward and will be a good match up for him. Look for Edwards to continue to push up to the wing and clear some space out for Petrie. Edwards will hae to work had for every touch.

Harvey V McVeigh - a couple of the senior statmens to go head to head. Harvey looks like he has not lost much pace and will again to a hand fully for McVeigh. Another goal in the 1st 10 seconds would be nice. McVeigh is dropping off alot fast than Harvey and can be a weak link in the backline. Dempsey is a player that may go to Boomer and try and hurt him with run the other way. Will be interesting who gets 1st crack at him.

Thomas V Hardingham - Hardingham had a very good 2011 and will match up well with Thomas - he is very good in the air and very strong. Thomas will have him covered once the ball hit the ground and will need to on to score goals. Like last year he was able to kick a few goals turning his player inside out and run into an open goal. 1st kick at goal is so important and needs to get his confidnce up early.

Tarrent V Fletcher - old v new. Tarrent looked good in the pre season. He will need to be on early to make Fletcher accountable and not push off him to make the Petrie contests. He will find it hard with Fletchers reach so will need to be taking him up the ground and out of his comfort zone. A couple of strong marks early will make Fletcher pay attention to him.

Adams V Heppell - Heppell is coming off a great debut season and I hope Adams plays him as a defensive foward. Heppell got under alot of teams guards and finds alot of it if he is left alone. Adams has the hardness to compete with Heppell and should build the pressue on him. Adams is fine over head and a great kick for goal. 2 goals from him would be draw - 3 a win.

Key Match Ups - Mids:

Swallow V Watson - lets hope this happens - let the Captains go head to head. Both players are elite clearance players and as hard at the ball as anyone. Watson took a big step last year but still his kicking (especially over 30 metres) is terrible. I would not tag their number 1 mid. You can't stop him getting his hands on it - just hope he kicks it more than he handballs it. If Watson goes foward I want McMahon going to him. Will be interesting to see how Swallow plays in his 1st game as Captain - hopefully like a duck to water.;)

Greenwood V Stanton - Stanton has been very consistant over the last 5 years. I don't think he is a great player but one that we should look too tag. Under pressure is when he is at his worst and I would keep that pressure on him so he has zero influence on the contest. His foot skills can be very good when he has time and space but ordinary when he has someone hunting him.

Cunnington V Melksham - great match up of 2 up and coming youngesters. Cunners having his 1st full pre-season should really be looking to take a big step in 2012. Melksham from reports has bulked up so these 2 should be a good contest head to head. Cunners should look to push forward as he is very good over head.

Hocking V Bastanic - Hocking has him for strength but Basti has him for speed. This will need to be watched as Hockings size and experience could test Basti. Ziebell would have been the perfect match up - hopefully Hocking has a quite game.

Wells V Zaka - 2 players that had very good 2011. Zaka is an attacking mid/hff that is a very good finisher. Wells is an attacking mid/hbf that can hurt the opposition the other way. Both like to run, carry and kick long. Not sure Hird will want this match up as Zaka is unaccountable when the opposition have the ball - and Wells is not a player that should be left to do what he likes. If these 2 match up on each other it is big win for us.

Key Match Ups - Backs:

Hanson V Hurley - I would send Lachie to him 1st up. Hanson is a confidence player and what a great scalp to get after all the press Hurley has recently had. Hurley hands are still very heavy and a lot of his attempted marks go to ground. This could be a worry as Hanson is not that nimble on the ground. He does however have a big tank and will be able to run with Hurley all night and he is also very brave so will not pull out of any tough contets. Grima fit is the perfect match up but they will have to wait until later in the year.

Delaney V Carlie - I think Carlie will go forward to try and stretch us. Delaney is a good match for him. Carlie has good hands but is young and does not always get to the best spots. Delaney's other option will be to take the resting ruckman - Ryder or Hille. This will be a bigger challenge and will need to stay very close to these 2.

McMahon V Monfries - Good match up again - McMahon is comfortable if Monfries takes him up the ground. McMahon is a good match up in the air and just needs to be careful as Monfies is from the Matty Lloyd school of diving. Angus is good at turning his opponant inside out so Scott will need to be mindful once the ball goes over their heads.

Thompson V Cameri - A good find for Essendon in 2011. I think Scott will be a good match up here as he can play on the talls as well as the smalls. Cameri is very good in the air and also once the ball hits the ground. Scott will need to give him little space as he can to the mercurial and kick a goal from out of his backside.

McMahon and Thompson could swap which I would not mind Thompson stirring up Monfries.

Key Match Ups - Rucks:

Goldy/McIntosh V Ryder/Hille - these match ups are very imnportant to the outcome. Goldy coming off a great 2011 will ruck for most of the time. Will be interesting to see how H and Goldy work together this year. If H gets back to his best we have 2 tall weapons. Hille will need to be watched when he goes forward but he is not the player he once was - both our ruckman will have him covered around the ground. Ryder is an unknown - if he is on can be damaging and if he is not in the mood is a lazy, sloppy player that will have zero impact on the game. We should get 1st use of the ball and H should push forward and Goldy back to support the back line.

Really looking forward to Saturday night - with GWS after the Bombers it would be great to start 2-0. Lets hope Essendon can raise some funds so they can build a ground the size of the MCG and Eithad. Even though it is being built in the windest place in Victoria I am sure it will be very similar to playing under a dome roof. :rolleyes:

Don't let the Bombers supporters try and convince you that this is just another game. It has been a while since we have both been up but with both teams having good young lists this game will continue to build - and hopefully explode into another Marshmellow final. We love to beat Essendon and over the last 10 years have easily had them covered. They can pretend not to care but it cuts them and the more they pretend this is a nothing game the more stuipd they look.

The heat that will be placed on the loser will be immence. Bigfooty may melt down - and I hope it is us with the blow torch........

great write up mufassa, big game, have just as many bombers fans as mates then eagles or dockers, is a big game for bragging right and the start we have to the season and i know we will come out on top!

Good write up.

We need to watch their marking forwards and Watson, but after that I'm not too worried.

I think we have a deeper pool of talent and a greater exponential improvement curve, with Essendon starting their rebuild 12-18 months ahead of us.

Also, don't take too much out of Hocking getting injured early last time, we lost Adams also, and whilst I have time for Hocking, Adams is a more damaging footballer.

We will also miss JZ, but we will be adding McIntosh, Hansen, MacMillan and possibly Campbell.

Anthony, Atley, Bastinac, Cunnington and Wright will also be a lot fitter this time around.

Watson will always give an honest contest, so for me, the real intrigue is what Brad Scott does in our backline.

I think he's foxing with Hansen and Lachie will play.

Lets be honest; baring substantial injuries on game day we have them covered. Covered very comfortably. If we want to make finals this should be a routine 4-5 goal win.

Absolutely no excuses if we lose this one.

Watching it at the local with an Essendon supporting mate. Hope to god we win this. The s**t I will cop all year will be unbearable.

Over the offseason I've done a bit of lurking on the Essendon and if I could sum up what they are saying regarding us, we are a very s**t side. The consensus over their board is we a very average side, they have us covered all over the field and we rely heavily on one player in Boomer.

Yet despite all that, the head to head record in say....the past 10 years doesn't get much of a mention :rolleyes:. I'll leave it that.

Good write up mufassa. You feeling ok?
Praise for bombers? :eek:

I'm sorry but I'm just not feeling the rivalry. Compared to Carlton, Hawks, Richmond, Collingwood you guys are just not registering on the scale.
The hate is just not there.

good write up. Been waiting for this, what took you so long? ;)

A few points: Watson's kicking is no longer terrible, by any stretch. Also, you probably saw the Swans game but not the Lions one. Hurley dropped a few marks in the Swans game for sure, but I was close and personal against the Brions, and his marking was top notch. He took a couple of contested marks that were both spectacular and breath-taking. In fact, he looked better than I've ever seen him, kicking 5 (including one Hurley Special where he took a mark 60 out, played on wheeling onto his left and bombing it from an acute angle outside the 50) and looking most authoritive.

God you guys are going to miss JZ.

Watching it at the local with an Essendon supporting mate. Hope to god we win this. The s**t I will cop all year will be unbearable.

this year for once we play twice. So whoever loses, there's a hope for redemption!

Over the offseason I've done a bit of lurking on the Essendon and if I could sum up what they are saying regarding us, we are a very s**t side. The consensus over their board is we a very average side, they have us covered all over the field and we rely heavily on one player in Boomer.

Yet despite all that, the head to head record in say....the past 10 years doesn't get much of a mention :rolleyes:. I'll leave it that.

you should post more and lurk less Dan.

I don't think you are average, but I do think we are a bit better. Sure you have some good midfielders, although your best one (besides Boomer) isn't playing.

Anyone who follows my posts will know I love Harper, and he's in my SC so I hope he provides his usual X-Factor. But having seen us preseason I reckon we're primed.

Dons by 6 goals for mine.

EDIT: isn't this just a cracking way to start the season? Two fierce foes who are fairly evenly matched, with different strengths. The build-up has already been phenomenal, with most marking it as the match they are most interested in. We should get a fair bit of media attention because, along with Coll/Haw it's definitely the match of the round. Saturday night at the dome, live on Foxtel so we can tape the game to watch afterwards.

The winner will be showered with glory and the loser taunted until my throat is sore!

Most people wouldn't think this. People will say dumb things in response to North Trolls and vice versa but I think there is a bit of mutual respect for both our lists.

I'm sorry but I'm just not feeling the rivalry. Compared to Carlton, Hawks, Richmond, Collingwood you guys are just not registering on the scale.

It's there in the history books mate. What you think of it is of no importance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You lost to all those teams as well as North last year... I get the "lol we're so great, we're a big 4, lol norf etc" but the Dons and North have been on equal grounds for a good few years now.

You lost to all those teams as well as North last year... I get the "lol we're so great, we're a big 4, lol norf etc" but the Dons and North have been on equal grounds for a good few years now.

I mean in a rivalry sense.
I can't stand losing to those guys. North doesn't get to me as much.

you should post more and lurk less Dan.

I don't think you are average, but I do think we are a bit better. Sure you have some good midfielders, although your best one (besides Boomer) isn't playing.

Anyone who follows my posts will know I love Harper, and he's in my SC so I hope he provides his usual X-Factor. But having seen us preseason I reckon we're primed.

Dons by 6 goals for mine.

EDIT: isn't this just a cracking way to start the season? Two fierce foes who are fairly evenly matched, with different strengths. We should get a fair bit of media attention because, along with Coll/Haw it's definitely the match of the round.

The winner will be showered with glory and the loser taunted until my throat is sore!

Yeah I know, you are only one of a few Essendon posters people on BF respect for your views on footy.

I mean in a rivalry sense.
I can't stand losing to those guys. North doesn't get to me as much.

Fair enough but unless you're 60+ years old, you can't really say you've lived through/experienced much of the rivalry with the big 4. I've seen alot more success from the Roos than say, Richmond for instance..

If we can get on top in the middle we will limit their tall forwards opportunities and maximize ours. It then comes down to our ball usage and our ability to get Dish one out. Use the ball well and we not only give ourselves the best chance to score but we limit their opportunity to catch us on the turnover.

If they start to get on top in the guts, which has been happening in the preseason games, then we will need to get back in numbers and break through the zone like in the Carlton game.

I'm really curious to see how we go in this one. Essendon are a decent team but have deficiencies that we can exploit. The same can be said for us.

I am not saying it is as big as Carlton and Collingwood. But the hate is building and I was in my early 20's during the 90's and if we both rise together it will come back.

98 Marshmellow final, 99 epic when Carey kicked 10 and Lloyd 7, 00 qual final hiding, 01 the comeback. Our games were massive.

There is 1000 posts on your board dismissing any rilavry - if that was true there would have been 10 - tops...

There is a shitfight going on now between north an essendon supporters which was stirred up a long time ago by HAD and SLF has stoked the coals on our board for ages.
Doesn't make it a Rivalry. If I hated North there is no reason why I would deny it.

edit- but each to their own, I only followed AFL since 95 so I might have missed a few defining moments that others arround here still feel.

There is a shitfight going on now between north an essendon supporters which was stirred up a long time ago by HAD and SLF has stoked the coals on our board for ages.
Doesn't make it a Rivalry. If I hated North there is no reason why I would deny it.

edit- but each to their own, I only followed AFL since 95 so I might have missed a few defining moments that others arround here still feel.

I'm officially bored with the fact you don't acknowledge any rivalry with North. I honestly couldn't give a ****.

Now stop clogging up the thread with inane s**t.

good write up. Been waiting for this, what took you so long? ;)

A few points: Watson's kicking is no longer terrible, by any stretch. Also, you probably saw the Swans game but not the Lions one. Hurley dropped a few marks in the Swans game for sure, but I was close and personal against the Brions, and his marking was top notch. He took a couple of contested marks that were both spectacular and breath-taking. In fact, he looked better than I've ever seen him, kicking 5 (including one Hurley Special where he took a mark 60 out, played on wheeling onto his left and bombing it from an acute angle outside the 50) and looking most authoritive.

this year for once we play twice. So whoever loses, there's a hope for redemption!

!

Terrible over distance. Somone posted a highlight real of Watson in 2011 - his long kicking was poor - hitting the post from 30 metres out directly in front, kicking the ball out of bounds and kicking points. This is included in a highlight package? At your request I watched him against the Swans and posted every kick - terrible does not do it justice. He is good between 15m and 25m - after that it can go side way. He may get the odd one on target.

As for Hurley - who played on him V Bris? Easy to clunk a few when you have no opposition. Last year he did not take 10 marks in any game Petrie did it 4 times and Cloke 5. He has not made it yet and has a lot of work to do so. I still think Pears will be every bit as good if not better.

If we lose round 20 can not come around quick enough - I have a feeling we will split them this year with you getting the 1st this Sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back