Preview North Melbourne vs Essendon - Round 1 - 31/3/11 [Team Announced]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: North Melbourne vs Essendon Round 1 31/3/11

After that you need to weigh up Stanton, Melksham, Zaharakis, Hocking and Howlett against Harvey, Wells, Bastinac, Adams, Anthony, Atley, Cunnington, Greenwood and MacMillan.North have a distinct advantage and should win.

I don't think too many Essendon fans are going to be running scared of that list once you give us our four additional midfielders. A combination of Myers, Heppell, Jetta, Monfries and Colyer is more than capable of breaking even with what you've named.

Think of it as Myers v Cunnington (inside, clearance winner), Colyer v Atley (extreme speed and ****house kick), Monfries v Bastinac (hard running accumulator - to add to Stanton) and maybe look to Jetta to be our Harvey (obviously you win this but don't discount Leroy too much). If you understand the progression of the Essendon players I've named in the last 18 months you will know why I'm not afraid.

Harvey and Wells aside I think we almost have every other player covered (if Zaharakis has maintained a consistent level of improvement over the latest preseason you could consider him the equal of Wells). We are not seriously going to conceed that Howlett/Hocking does not represent better value than Anthony/Greenwood as midfield workhorses/run with types.

Due to a combination of physical immaturity, team balance and injury the development of our blue chip young midfield group hasn't been ideal. With further, hard preseasons into players like Jetta, Myers and Melksham we have serious quality to add into the midfield rotation (Heppell is likely to still play the bulk of his footy at half back this year). Monfries has shown that, if he can actually be freed to play as a midfielder (which he finally should be), he can be a prolific accumulator of the ball.

It just so happens that we have been unable to expose any of our high profile midfield draft picks to serious midfield time (which is something that Brad Scott has been generally able to do). Rightly or wrongly these are the players a team is judged on. How else could anyone seriously argue that Richmond has a decent team or that Carlton has a "great" list? This has been the main reason that the media has written us off. If you don't follow EFC closely you won't have a proper appreciation for what our young mids are capable of (I suppose this is true of every side but with the media refusing to acknowledge our players they basically get no exposure).

Being able to add Melksham, Myers, Zaharakis, Heppell and Jetta to to the solid foundation provided by Watson, Hocking, Stanton and Howlett is huge. Clearly we are Kavanagh, Colyer, Merrett and hopefully Caddy (to name a few) away from having the depth required to make the leap to to a top 4 midfield but we actually have a properly balanced midfield now (and unlike North we have still been good enough to actually make the finals).

I am very happy with Hooker on petrie, Fletcher, Pears and Hardingham will all help him out at various stages, not sure if North will get this sort of help trying to stop Hurley, Ryder / Hille and Crameri.

Honestly the only option for scott is to have Goldy run back and fill a hole to take pressure off of Norths defence.

Also we have 3 options as loose men running out of defence, Fletcher, Dempsey and Heppell hope Norths men are tuned in because these 3 really can hurt their opponents if not paid enough attention.

Howlett really looks in for a big year, looks amazing from what I have seen.

I am very happy with Hooker on petrie, Fletcher, Pears and Hardingham will all help him out at various stages, not sure if North will get this sort of help trying to stop Hurley, Ryder / Hille and Crameri.

Honestly the only option for scott is to have Goldy run back and fill a hole to take pressure off of Norths defence.

Also we have 3 options as loose men running out of defence, Fletcher, Dempsey and Heppell hope Norths men are tuned in because these 3 really can hurt their opponents if not paid enough attention.

Howlett really looks in for a big year, looks amazing from what I have seen.

Absolutely.

I suppose that they will argue that Hansen will be the guy to play on Hurley. Hansen can obviously play the game but he has looked decidedly average at AFL level until now and I'm not sure that he has the list of proven performances against high quality key forwards that Hooker (Mr 50 point differential) has.

Essendon will rely heavily on Watson, Hurley and Ryder.

Petrie cancels out Hurley.

Swallow will go close to canceling out Watson.

Ryder averages 10 disposals and has kicked one single solitary career goal against North.

After that you need to weigh up Stanton, Melksham, Zaharakis, Hocking and Howlett against Harvey, Wells, Bastinac, Adams, Anthony, Atley, Cunnington, Greenwood and MacMillan.

North have a distinct advantage and should win.

You think Petrie will be as good as Hurley. Ok, maybe I can buy that - though we will have a fit Pears and Hooker for this one.

You think Swallow might match Watson. Ok, Swallow is a decent player and on his day might do that.

Yet your hope for Ryder is... stats? :eek: Good luck with that! (He actually averages 13 touches, a goal and an a couple of assists a game, BTW. I'd move on from his key backman stats to where he actually plays now.)

This will be amusing.

Last year we copped North at about our worst; by the end of the game we were missing half our midfield, our FB and one of the rucks. If we finish with 22 men we will win by 5+, no excuses.

Honest question, which rucks and mids did you lose during the game?

I know you lost Hocking and Hooker but there were no reported mids or rucks injured. You went into the game without Hille but it's unlikely you would have played 3 rucks against Goldstein. In fact Goldstein rolled his ankle in the second quarter if I recall correctly.

By the way I was the bloke yelling "Shaun Atley" at Dodoro, I was midway through a 2 day bender at the time having gone out after work on Friday and returning home on Sunday. Seemed like a good idea at the time.......and I'd probably do it again because quite frankly I don't like the bloke.

Honest question, which rucks and mids did you lose during the game?

I know you lost Hocking and Hooker but there were no reported mids or rucks injured. You went into the game without Hille but it's unlikely you would have played 3 rucks against Goldstein. In fact Goldstein rolled his ankle in the second quarter if I recall correctly.
Hille was out injured, Hardingham & Hooker got injured during the match.

Hocking got KOed. Remember, we've only got one or two midfielders according to bigfooty - so 1/2 = exactly half our midfield

By the way I was the bloke yelling "Shaun Atley" at Dodoro, I was midway through a 2 day bender at the time having gone out after work on Friday and returning home on Sunday. Seemed like a good idea at the time.......and I'd probably do it again because quite frankly I don't like the bloke.
LOL. Explains a fair bit.
"Things said pissed" probably not anyone's proudest moments!

DYSON HEPPEL

Or
shaun atley

Give me a spell, you kangaroo flogs

It's not like we had a choice in the matter.

Heppell is a jet and Atley has showed promising signs albeit his kicking has been a worry, their draft positions have proved true so far.

The only reason the two were ever compared was EFC inadvertently releasing a video of Dodoro welcoming Atley to Essendon. Other than that they are completely different players.

In before "yeh coz Atly is s**t and Hepplle is a gun lolz."

It's not like we had a choice in the matter.

Heppell is a jet and Atley has showed promising signs albeit his kicking has been a worry, their draft positions have proved true so far.

The only reason the two were ever compared was EFC inadvertently releasing a video of Dodoro welcoming Atley to Essendon. Other than that they are completely different players.

In before "yeh coz Atly is s**t and Hepplle is a gun lolz."

Your are the one making a big deal out of it. We were just laughing at possibly the lamest post of bigfooty ever posted.

I thought you just made it up but if it's actually true you are a bigger nob than everyone thinks.

**** it, I don't know why we have to mercilessly flame every single poster from opposition clubs especially when they haven't done anything inflammatory.

We take things too personally and forget to understand that public perceptions are created by media hype. Take 10 random football followers and ask them to list the top 8 and their big improvers for the year. Without question they will all say the same thing even though none of them will have watched an opposition preseason game or gone to a training session (I am getting the uniform response that we will fall below Richmond and North - it is amusing). We aren't rated because we don't have friends in the media who rate us blindly.

As for the Atley comment, jesus, how many bizzare things have we all said at a game amid the excitment of a victory against a bitter rival (let alone during a 2 day bender)?

These reactions betray an insecurity that is most un-Essendon like. The swagger is obviously not back yet.

True.
You should've been at one of Brisbane's games mouthing "Dyson Heppell" at craaaaazy Vossy.
(Gotta do something else at their games, hardly worth watching the matches)

**** it, I don't know why we have to mercilessly flame every single poster from opposition clubs especially when they haven't done anything inflammatory.

We take things too personally and forget to understand that public perceptions are created by media hype. Take 10 random football followers and ask them to list the top 8 and their big improvers for the year. Without question they will all say the same thing even though none of them will have watched an opposition preseason game or gone to a training session (I am getting the uniform response that we will fall below Richmond and North - it is amusing). We aren't rated because we don't have friends in the media who rate us blindly.

As for the Atley comment, jesus, how many bizzare things have we all said at a game amid the excitment of a victory against a bitter rival (let alone during a 2 day bender)?

These reactions betray an insecurity that is most un-Essendon like. The swagger is obviously not back yet.

go read the north board.. and then come down of your high ground.

Speak for yourself champ, It's not insecurity that makes me think going around drunk is not a reasonable excuse for hanging (really poorly thought out) s**t on people.

I'll always call that as poor behaviour, whoever says it. The flogs who give players like Stanton s**t are also s**t blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. It's embarrassing for all concerned actually.

Try keeping it civil, please.

Normal forum rules apply here; North supporters, you're more than welcome, but remember to bring your manners. Our guys, no need to attack North supporters merely for showing up.

The "banter" thread'll be up shortly.

and I'd probably do it again because quite frankly I don't like the bloke.

Ha, first I've heard of pure hatred towards a recruiter. Do you know him personally, or is it just because of something bizarre you don't like him?

I'm actually intrigued

Footy is back!

For the next 6 months, I hate every supporter of any other team.

Don't like it, your problem!

North Melbourne, We start with you!

Try keeping it civil, please.

Normal forum rules apply here; North supporters, you're more than welcome, but remember to bring your manners. Our guys, no need to attack North supporters merely for showing up.

The "banter" thread'll be up shortly.

For real?

This isn't the banter thread?

Let's get that going!

go read the north board.. and then come down of your high ground.

It isn't moral high ground, it is arrogance. Why would I be bothered with the insecure bickerings of clubs who prop themselves up on media opinion rather than results? I know my club and I like to think that with a new and state of the art home base, re-signings of some of the best young talent in the game, the prospect of luring a significant GC player from his club and the development of a genuinely young list under intelligent and driven club legends that we are on the verge of being the powerhouse of the competition again.

I respect the fact that we play it cool. We will tell anyone who wants to ask that we are serious again but we don't use the connections of a media friendly club chairman to prop our club as something that it isn't (i.e. good (North) or not a filthy bunch of beggers (Collingwood)).

Speak for yourself champ, It's not insecurity that makes me think going around drunk is not a reasonable excuse for hanging (really poorly thought out) s**t on people.

I'll always call that as poor behaviour, whoever says it. The flogs who give players like Stanton s**t are also s**t blokes.

Sorry, I don't remember the incident completely. Was it just a case of the North dude mouthing "Shaun Atley...Shaun Atley"? Or was there more to it?

Even if there was more, it is hardly the end of the world. He was a dick about it, seems to admit as much (by justifying it - being on a bender). We can just let sleeping dogs lie.

Ha, first I've heard of pure hatred towards a recruiter. Do you know him personally, or is it just because of something bizarre you don't like him?

I'm actually intrigued

Yeah I've met him a number of times and am also good mates with 5 blokes who have played for Essendon in the past 10 years (3 seniors, 2 rookies). None of them had a good word to say about him and I always found him to be overly smug.

I wouldn't say I hate him, that's a bit strong. Just have no time for him.

Sorry, I don't remember the incident completely. Was it just a case of the North dude mouthing "Shaun Atley...Shaun Atley"? Or was there more to it?

Even if there was more, it is hardly the end of the world. He was a dick about it, seems to admit as much (by justifying it - being on a bender). We can just let sleeping dogs lie.

Yeah that's pretty much it, unless he can lip read he would have had no idea what I was on about really.

I also broke up a fight between 2 Essendon fans in the Medallion Club toilets afterwards if that's any consolation.

Yeah I've met him a number of times and am also good mates with 5 blokes who have played for Essendon in the past 10 years (3 seniors, 2 rookies). None of them had a good word to say about him and I always found him to be overly smug.

I wouldn't say I hate him, that's a bit strong. Just have no time for him.

I'm sure he has plenty of time for a drunken hobo North Melbourne support on a 2 day bender mouthing bullshit at him.

I'm sure he has plenty of time for a drunken hobo North Melbourne support on a 2 day bender mouthing bullshit at him.

I'm sure he doesn't but at the time we had just sealed the game so I decided to get stuck into him.

Whether or not it made sense or he had any idea what I was saying didn't really cross my mind at the time. I had a bit of a laugh with my mates and we moved on, I'm sure Adrian did as well.

What do you want me to say? We all do stupid s**t when we're pissed. Some people get stuck into taxi drivers, I mouth words incoherently at opposition recruiting managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back