List Mgmt. North: Where is the list really at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on Joyce's interview I'd say Marley and EVW both come into the starting 22 and Ats, Jmac, Lmac and potentially fishy rotate between a wing and hbf. Don't mind the sound of that, would make us much more flexible and dangerous on the outside while not losing any defensive capability or rebound.

Based on Joyce's interview I'd say Marley and EVW both come into the starting 22 and Ats, Jmac, Lmac and potentially fishy rotate between a wing and hbf. Don't mind the sound of that, would make us much more flexible and dangerous on the outside while not losing any defensive capability or rebound.

Does anyone have a link to the interview? :)

I like the sound of this.

Marley will lock down and rebound and Atley will be freed up to be more attacking. EVW to help Thompson.

The 4 players mentioned rotating wing and HBF will probably err on the defensive side, so the 2 way running of our mids will not be as exposed.

And if Clarke and Dumont play as mids, the offer something different in our spread and Clarke is a hard working mid.

Jacobs of course may come back to stop the Dangerfields of the world running around like they have their own football in the back yard.

And based on what I have seen briefly of Wood, Waite, Garner, Daw, Turner the tackling and defensive pressure in our forward line may be up a notch or 2.

I think defensively, we may actually improve across the ground.

I like the sound of this.

Marley will lock down and rebound and Atley will be freed up to be more attacking. EVW to help Thompson.

The 4 players mentioned rotating wing and HBF will probably err on the defensive side, so the 2 way running of our mids will not be as exposed.

And if Clarke and Dumont play as mids, the offer something different in our spread and Clarke is a hard working mid.

Jacobs of course may come back to stop the Dangerfields of the world running around like they have their own football in the back yard.

And based on what I have seen briefly of Wood, Waite, Garner, Daw, Turner the tackling and defensive pressure in our forward line may be up a notch or 2.

I think defensively, we may actually improve across the ground.
Harvey and Dal, while great players, simply weren't equipped for the modern game where everyone has to be defensively strong. That is one of the main reasons (along with an increase in outside speed and youthful energy) that I honestly believe our round 1 team next year will be stronger than the team that went 9-0

Its interesting that we have so many people thinking EVW is top 22 when we havent even seen him play a NAB game yet...

Im sure he will be good in time but he might take a while to get used to the tempo

Its interesting that we have so many people thinking EVW is top 22 when we havent even seen him play a NAB game yet...

Im sure he will be good in time but he might take a while to get used to the tempo
Looked like he belonged once over his injuries and should have got a game. Has composure beyond his years and looks more than likely to adapt to the next level with ease.

He ticks a number of boxes....good VFL form, there's an open position in the backline made for him, club is a wrap for him, reportedly pretty sharp mentally onfield..........

He'll have up and downs, but I reckon something would have to go dramatically wrong over pre-season for him not to be in the team Rd 1

Make or break for Atley, I would have preferred McDonald going into the midfield.
While we'd miss Luke's defensive pressure, I agree. I'm bewildered by this suggestion to play Atley in the middle, as I have been whenever anyone here has made it. I just don't think he's got the awareness or smarts to play in the middle.

Edit:

This is more like it.

Last edited:
He ticks a number of boxes....good VFL form, there's an open position in the backline made for him, club is a wrap for him, reportedly pretty sharp mentally onfield..........

He'll have up and downs, but I reckon something would have to go dramatically wrong over pre-season for him not to be in the team Rd 1
There's a bit of the Rampe's about him. Think he'll be a gun.

Harvey and Dal, while great players, simply weren't equipped for the modern game where everyone has to be defensively strong. That is one of the main reasons (along with an increase in outside speed and youthful energy) that I honestly believe our round 1 team next year will be stronger than the team that went 9-0
I reckon I might've agreed with you had wells still been in our team. But his a big loss in the short term IMO. Had pace, skill and also defended. 3 things we lack amongst our mids

I reckon I might've agreed with you had wells still been in our team. But his a big loss in the short term IMO. Had pace, skill and also defended. 3 things we lack amongst our mids
Agree 100%, I'd be backing us for the flag if we'd kept Wellsy but without him I do think this year will be a bit up and down. I don't buy into the doom and gloom though, if there is a drop off I expect it to be a pretty minor one and we'll be right back in it come 2018/19.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100%, I'd be backing us for the flag if we'd kept Wellsy but without him I do think this year will be a bit up and down. I don't buy into the doom and gloom though, if there is a drop off I expect it to be a pretty minor one and we'll be right back in it come 2018/19.

Do you guys have too many like types? I'm not sure with the way the game is heading you can have all of Ziebell, Cunnington and Swallow running through the midfield. Perhaps there was a chance to move Cunnington to get a top 5 pick?

Do you guys have too many like types? I'm not sure with the way the game is heading you can have all of Ziebell, Cunnington and Swallow running through the midfield. Perhaps there was a chance to move Cunnington to get a top 5 pick?
Hopefully Swallow isn't best 22 anymore, and a centre square rotation of Cunnington/Ziebell (one rests forward), Dumont, Clarke, Atley, McDonald, Jacobs (beating the oppositions best player every week), Hrovat, Anderson and Garner/Turner along with a wing rotation of Gibson, McMillan, Higgins, Clarke, Mullett and Hrovat is a much more dynamic mix than last year.

Hopefully Swallow isn't best 22 anymore, and a centre square rotation of Cunnington/Ziebell (one rests forward), Dumont, Clarke, Atley, McDonald, Jacobs (beating the oppositions best player every week), Hrovat, Anderson and Garner/Turner along with a wing rotation of Gibson, McMillan, Higgins, Clarke, Mullett and Hrovat is a much more dynamic mix than last year.

But where does that group get you? A flag? top 4? top 8? Not having a go. You just need to be bold and either hit rebuild or top up with elite level talent. I rate Ziebell and Cunnington, but neither has become the top 20 mid I thought they would have by now. Both are tough, inside mids capable of going forward. But neither is a game breaker that can burst from stoppages. Moving one for a top 5 pick would have been very bold...

But where does that group get you? A flag? top 4? top 8? Not having a go. You just need to be bold and either hit rebuild or top up with elite level talent. I rate Ziebell and Cunnington, but neither has become the top 20 mid I thought they would have by now. Both are tough, inside mids capable of going forward. But neither is a game breaker that can burst from stoppages. Moving one for a top 5 pick would have been very bold...
I think a lot of the doom and gloom around North's list simply comes from not looking beneath the surface, as can be seen by claims that we "traded away our future" for a shot at the flag. We've actually taken all our quality picks in about the last 10 drafts, and the only thing that bringing mature age players cost us is game time for our younger guys.

I'm not sure what outside perceptions of our youth are, but I think internally we believe that Clarke, Dumont, McDonald and to a lesser extent Garner and Anderson are all capable of becoming very good to elite midfielders. As well as those guys we have some youngsters in Fordham and Mountford who have shown plenty of talent but their futures are a little less certain (I for one think that both, but especially Mountford, should be more than solid at the level). Add to that Jacobs who is the best in the league at what he does and critical to our side, Ziebell who has shown glimpses of A-grade talent and I think will take his game to another level completely as captain, and finally the most talented bloke on our list in Cunnington who will hopefully get fit, lose some weight and finally live up to his incredible potential and all things going to plan that has the makings of a very good midfield. At the moment we still lack some speed and skill through there and the "meat grinder" has pretty much failed as a concept, but I think the emergence of some of those younger guys who I just mentioned (as well as whoever we pick up in this years draft) and the phasing out of the least talented member of that midfield in Spitta will go a long way to solving those issues.

Our defence is for the most part pretty solid, particularly our smaller defenders and while KPD is a concern for us (apart from Tarrant who is the second best key going round after Rance), we are hopeful that our 2014 draft class in Durdin, Nielson and Vickers-Willis can get over their injury concerns and fill that gap in our side. Our forward line is probably the strongest element of our list with Wood and Brown both possessing genuinely elite talent. Add to that Daw (who will hopefully start living up to his potential with a proper run at it) and McKay who showed some great signs in the Werri-B's last year and we're very well covered for KPF. We probably almost have too many small forwards at present but with Higgins, Thomas, Anderson, Turner, Garner and Wagner all capable of great footy and the ability to rotate Ziebell, Cunnington Hrovat and Dumont through there as well we have seriously good options in that area of the ground.

So yeah, I've rambled on a bit but as you can tell I'm pretty bullish on the amount of talent we have on our list, next year will tell us more us some of the untried guys get a run at it, but as a fan I certainly am more excited than fearful of what the future holds for the NMFC.

Still wouldn't rule out Lmac playing there. Did mention that there were a few candidates so he could be one to move there too.

I think they'll be having an each way bet come start of the year (as would I if running things) - particularly with what I think is an easier draw than we've had for a few years. They'll come up with some experiments they want to try with players at the start of the season with various players.

Things go average over the first 6 weeks they'll keep mixing up players and new blood to see what they can shake loose. When I experiment at work it does help to assess things if you strategically move pieces rather than jumbling everything at once. Things go better than anticipated in that first quarter of the season the experimentation may reduce slightly except where required (ie. we basically have to play guys like Wood, Daw, EVW to build on our structure for 2018.

North Melbourne’s young players have been urged to step up and take a spot in the club’s best side
03b891be731682338202dceab431098d

JON RALPH, Herald Sun
November 13, 2016 8:00pm

03b891be731682338202dceab431098d

NORTH Melbourne’s emerging kids will jet off to a Utah training camp on Monday being urged to step up and claim vacant spots in the Kangaroos’ Round 1 side.

A group of 19 players in the 1-4 year age bracket will be joined by senior players Andrew Swallow, Shaun Higgins and Lindsay Thomas, funding their own participation at the two-week American camp.

The Roos have lost over 1000 goals and countless experience after the retirement of four club stalwarts and the departure of electric midfielder Daniel Wells to Collingwood.

But with seven national and rookie draft players to join those kids, the club will now have 26 players in that early age bracket.

Only two players from the past two drafts have so far made their debut, so 2017 shapes as a year in which many of the club’s unknown young kids can stake their claim as regulars.

New head of football Cameron Joyce, elevated as Geoff Walsh moves into a part-time role, said the Roos were excited by the potential in their list.

“We think it’s a really exciting time and the opportunity is going to be there for them,’’ Joyce said.

“Most of those guys would think they are a chance to play senior footy next year.

“We are really excited about some of them playing in the pre-season and hopefully some of them take their chance in the home-and-away season.

“On the first day in Utah it is one of the things we will talk about, there will be opportunity but there will also be competition.

“The opportunity awaits those who are prepared to knuckle down and have a good pre-season. We have got a group that is hungry but also starved of a little bit of opportunity.”

Leading that pack are kids like Majak Daw, Mason Wood, Kayne Turner, Trent Dumont, Sam Durdin and Ben McKay.

But there is also a group of almost unknown kids including Ryan Clarke, Daniel Neilson, Ed Vickers-Willis, Mitchell Hibberd, Declan Mountford and Corey Wagner who have played regular VFL football.

“Asked if the Roos were officially rebuilding, Joyce said: “We are letting other people talk through what it is, I think it’s just a natural evolution of our list.

“While we have five guys who have retired we have a reasonable core which has played a fair few finals over the last five years.”

The Roos believe they still have the attacking firepower despite losing so much output in the departures of Drew Petrie and Brent Harvey.

Majak Daw’s four-goal elimination final saw him thrust his hand up for a larger role, Jarrad Waite signed a one-year extension and Wood has real potential.

“With Ben Brown, Waite, Daw and Wood we think there is a lot there in terms of ability with our key forwards and marking forwards,’’ he said.

“So the opportunity Majak took towards the end of the year was great and it earned him a contract extension. To be able to build around those guys will be important and Majak wants the opportunity. It’s a little bit up to him now.”

New recruit Paul Ahern, recruited from GWS and still in the early stages of a second knee reconstruction, is the only player with a long-term rehabilitation.

Wood’s issues have been overcome, Wright had further ankle clean-up surgery post-season and Jacobs (metatarsal) got back into the VFL late in the season.

A handful of Roos including Jamie Macmillan (wrist), Ben McKay (hip) and Corey Wagner (shoulder) also had minor clean-up surgery.

We have (pre-draft) 13 players who are aged 21 years old or younger (at at 23 March 2017). Only 4 have debuted. An average of 3.9 games between them.

We just lost 1588 games of experience with five players aged 32 years old or older (as at 23 March 2017). An average of 317.6 games each between them.

So, while 13 doesn't go into 5 (hence 'competition, not just opportunity'), it highlights the log jam issue we faced. Factor in another 4-5 draftees too.

We have (pre-draft) 13 players who are aged 21 years old or younger (at at 23 March 2017). Only 4 have debuted. An average of 3.9 games between them.

We just lost 1588 games of experience with five players aged 32 years old or older (as at 23 March 2017). An average of 317.6 games each between them.

So, while 13 doesn't go into 5 (hence 'competition, not just opportunity'), it highlights the log jam issue we faced. Factor in another 4-5 draftees too.

Spot on. We now have a minimum of 110 (5 x 22) games that we can get into around 15 players next year. That doesn't account for any injuries to best 22 stalwarts though. Lot's of wriggle room and space for some experimentation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back