North's introduction to the AFLW - how it was handled, and what we can learn

Remove this Banner Ad

That a silly troll of Gold Coast. What surprises me is they didn't get a team from inception.

The expansion clubs have the burden of growing the game in foreign territory. Womens footy is the biggest area of growth, you pretty much have to be involved. It presents challenges with having to draft interstate, but life is full if challenges.

The great thing is girls can play in the Sydney suburban competition and realistically hope to be drafted by the Giants.

It isn't a troll of Gold Coast.

Put simply, the club doesn't have its s**t together, why give it more problems?

It isn't a troll of Gold Coast.

Put simply, the club doesn't have its s**t together, why give it more problems?
Dont they?

The clubs about a lot more than short term success on the field. It's such an absurd proposition to use that as a measuring stick that yeah I believe it's a troll.

Dont they?

The clubs about a lot more than short term success on the field. It's such an absurd proposition to use that as a measuring stick that yeah I believe it's a troll.

Ah, no they don't, they are awful onfield, can't retain their own captains etc etc.

Women's footy in Queensland is better served by having a strong Brisbane, than a weak Brissy and Gold Coast.

Ah, no they don't, they are awful onfield, can't retain their own captains etc etc.

Women's footy in Queensland is better served by having a strong Brisbane, than a weak Brissy and Gold Coast.
Not at all. I get you cant look beyond the microcosm of single events and see the bigger picture though.

Not at all. I get you cant look beyond the microcosm of single events and see the bigger picture though.

I can see the bigger picture - the one where every sporting franchise that goes to the Gold Coast died.

I know you have misplaced expansion club loyalty here. I'm all for the women's game in Queensland having every opportunity to succeed.

The best way is by having strong teams. Gold Coast are a shambled of an organisation. That's not opinion btw.

I can see the bigger picture - the one where every sporting franchise that goes to the Gold Coast died.

I know you have misplaced expansion club loyalty here. I'm all for the women's game in Queensland having every opportunity to succeed.

The best way is by having strong teams. Gold Coast are a shambled of an organisation. That's not opinion btw.
Nonsense.

The argument you put forward for their "failure" is a couple of players deciding to leave.Oh and "everyone does".

You dont have anything like a credible argument so your reduced to assigning absurd motives to what I said.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

The argument you put forward for their "failure" is a couple of players deciding to leave.Oh and "everyone does".

You dont have anything like a credible argument so your reducing to assigning absurd motives to what I said.

Oh Jesus dude, you're actually arguing that the Gold Coast Suns are a stable and successful footy club?

That's your position?

Oh Jesus dude, you're actually arguing that the Gold Coast Suns are a stable and successful footy club?

That's your position?
Now you tell me my position. You're not very good at this.

It's really not complicated. The expansion clubs are long term projects. Everyone involved has always said that. For reasons beyond my comprehension you want to pass judgement after a short timeframe.

So? Should have had her in a position where signing the next one was a fait accompli.

We don't know what drives her:
- Money: Tick we could have done that
- Success: No, we haven't had any in AFLW and it wasn't likely after seeing others leave so nothing we could do
- Friendship: We had no ability to guarantee bringing in new players or retain existing players so nothing we could do
- History: Supported Carlton and played for StKilda Sharks so no loyalty to either North (MU) or Collingwood
- Other: ?

So the only thing we could have done is offer more money?

Now you tell me my position. You're not very good at this.

It's really not complicated. The expansion clubs are long term projects. Everyone involved has always said that. For reasons beyond my comprehension you want to pass judgement after a short timeframe.

But it hasn't been a short timeframe for Gold Coast. They've been around for ten years. They've actively gone backwards in that time.

Your lot have been around for a shorter period and have done very well.

I'm not saying GC should never have a women's team, I'm saying that hold off until they can run a blokes team successfuly first.

We don't know what drives her:
- Money: Tick we could have done that
- Success: No, we haven't had any in AFLW and it wasn't likely after seeing others leave so nothing we could do
- Friendship: We had no ability to guarantee bringing in new players or retain existing players so nothing we could do
- History: Supported Carlton and played for StKilda Sharks so no loyalty to either North (MU) or Collingwood
- Other: ?

So the only thing we could have done is offer more money?

I reckon she saw us the best chance to have success and work with the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it hasn't been a short timeframe for Gold Coast. They've been around for ten years. They've actively gone backwards in that time.

I'm not saying GC should never have a women's team, I'm saying that hold off until they can run a blokes team successfuly first.
The project timeframes is decades though, and they've been in the comp 8 years. It would be a big mistake not to push forward as hard as they can in my view.

The project timeframes is decades though, and they've been in the comp 8 years. It would be a big mistake not to push forward as hard as they can in my view.

Yeah, the best plan when A isn't working out is to use the same method on B and HEY PRESTO! magically B will turn different to A coz ... stuff.

Fix A first, work out how to do B, then do B.

North and Geelong should have been limited to signing 2 players each per original club and 8 players in total. Extras could happen through trade, then fill the list from the draft. There's hundreds of female players out there at State League level good enough to play AFLW and at least contribute.

Sadly for St Kilda etc there will no doubt be restrictions put on that will stop what North appears to have created from happening in their first season.

North and Geelong should have been limited to signing 2 players each per original club and 8 players in total. Extras could happen through trade, then fill the list from the draft. There's hundreds of female players out there at State League level good enough to play AFLW and at least contribute.

Sadly for St Kilda etc there will no doubt be restrictions put on that will stop what North appears to have created from happening in their first season.

Yep, look at Courtney Munn, straight of VFL and kicks four on debut.

My first reaction to that is that 8 players with AFLW experience - less than a quarter of the list - is too low, and given that the only tradeable asset expansion teams have is draft picks, you can't trade for extra players and hit the draft at the same time. 12 seems the minimum, and I don't even think 15 is necessarily too high.

But then I realised I don't know what outcome you want. Are AFLW expansion teams allowed to be competitive or not? If not, and the original teams should be entitled to the spoils of success just because they were there first, ok I guess turning the screws is fine.

Even allowing for my North bias, I don't actually think "they're too good, this shouldn't be allowed" is a very convincing premise to start from. What did North do that is reproducible by other clubs, and what was unique to their circumstances? What's wrong with them setting an example to other clubs on how to build a women's footy department?

The NMFC won't relocate to Tasmania, less so with financial stability and development ambitions of Arden st.
But I'd fully support Tasmania kangaroos AFLW playing there full-time.
It would be good for the women's competition

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have thought running a men's team successfully was an indicator that a women's team be a success, or vice versa.

GCS have been working on female player development for a few years now.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The rules will also be different because the circumstances are different. Not least because maybe North and the Cats have shaken a lot of the loose fruit from the tree already?

My first reaction to that is that 8 players with AFLW experience - less than a quarter of the list - is too low, and given that the only tradeable asset expansion teams have is draft picks, you can't trade for extra players and hit the draft at the same time. 12 seems the minimum, and I don't even think 15 is necessarily too high.

But then I realised I don't know what outcome you want. Are AFLW expansion teams allowed to be competitive or not? If not, and the original teams should be entitled to the spoils of success just because they were there first, ok I guess turning the screws is fine.

Even allowing for my North bias, I don't actually think "they're too good, this shouldn't be allowed" is a very convincing premise to start from. What did North do that is reproducible by other clubs, and what was unique to their circumstances? What's wrong with them setting an example to other clubs on how to build a women's footy department?
Welcome to our world.

I wouldn't have thought running a men's team successfully was an indicator that a women's team be a success, or vice versa.

GCS have been working on female player development for a few years now.

True, maybe the women's side will be the making of the club, god knows the fellas aren't doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back