2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 10 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they used to broadcast the reserves live on TV every Saturday on 7.
You would always get to the ground early to see the reserves play, don’t forget it was a much higher standard in those days.
Port league team was so strong so you had some good players playing reserves.
What you seen today would get beaten by a Port Reserves team of the 80’s and 90’s by 20 goals.
Yep, apart from 1974 and 75 when I was talked into making a come back in the Glenelg/South comp my saturday morning routine for years was to watch the ressies on tv until about half way through the 2nd qtr, and then depending on where the game was played usually arrive at the ground early in the 3rd qtr.

As you suggest, (and I will add the 70's as well) the Maggie's reserves of those eras would have beaten either of the two teams running around the parade today.

Plenty of regular Maggie's magoos players went on to premiership success in the A grade, eg Ivan Eckerman, Tony Giles, Chris Natt, Paul Belton, Greg and Russell Boyd, Martin Leslie, Ian Bradmore, and even David Granger.
From memory Greg Phillips played most of his first season (1976) as an onballer in the magoos before playing at full back for the seniors in the 1977 premiership.

Going back even further when the league team won 6 in a row 1954-59, the reserves won 5 flags, and there were a number of players in that era who won multiple premierships in both comps, and it was expected by supporters that the Maggies would have a strong presence from under 17's through to the senior team in all of those decades.

Just a question to the old timers, did you give a s**t about the Port Magpie reserves back in the days of yore?
Yes. However the question isn't relevant.

The AFL is a game of list management. Drafts, trades, salary caps, recruiting limitations, etc. It means the development of your players and list is utterly crucial in the progression of your club at the top level. As such yes I watch because of a passion for this club winning trophies and sticking it up the SANFL, but mainly for the development of our main side.

Ultimately this was NOT the case back in the old days where you just bought whoever you wanted, or grabbed whomever you wanted from wherever. Seeing the kids come through was good in season, but it had far less determination on future success than our Bs do now.

Yep, apart from 1974 and 75 when I was talked into making a come back in the Glenelg/South comp my saturday morning routine for years was to watch the ressies on tv until about half way through the 2nd qtr, and then depending on where the game was played usually arrive at the ground early in the 3rd qtr.

As you suggest, (and I will add the 70's as well) the Maggie's reserves of those eras would have beaten either of the two teams running around the parade today.

Plenty of regular Maggie's magoos players went on to premiership success in the A grade, eg Ivan Eckerman, Tony Giles, Chris Natt, Paul Belton, Greg and Russell Boyd, Martin Leslie, Ian Bradmore, and even David Granger.
From memory Greg Phillips played most of his first season (1976) as an onballer in the magoos before playing at full back for the seniors in the 1977 premiership.

Going back even further when the league team won 6 in a row 1954-59, the reserves won 5 flags, and there were a number of players in that era who won multiple premierships in both comps, and it was expected by supporters that the Maggies would have a strong presence from under 17's through to the senior team in all of those decades.
Yeah I remember David Granger playing his first Ressies game in 1976 v West Torrens at Footy Park. Greg Phillips played as a ruck rover during 1977 and moved back the next year. Russell Boyd wonder what he's doing these days great fella. Either him or Greg lives on the Gold Coast?

Yeah I remember David Granger playing his first Ressies game in 1976 v West Torrens at Footy Park. Greg Phillips played as a ruck rover during 1977 and moved back the next year. Russell Boyd wonder what he's doing these days great fella. Either him or Greg lives on the Gold Coast?
Boyd was a good footballer in his days.
Played his role and very handy around goal.
Was thinking about Bruce Abernethy the other day, what a fantastic kick of a football he was.
With all these million dollar athletes playing AFL not one would be good enough to tie Abbers shoelaces.

Norwood beat South last week by 4 goals and lost to Centrals by 5 points the week before so there form has not been that bad.
Seriously the standard of what I’ve seen on the AFL website is about the same as the old Amateur League that used to be on the telly Sunday’s.
People forget how good the SANFL competition used to be.
Plus the steak@onion sandwiches used to be so good 😂 they used to use Scotch Fillet 😍
80’s SANFL was great, that’s why they didn’t want the AFL as they knew it would destroy this level

Boyd was a good footballer in his days.
Played his role and very handy around goal.
Was thinking about Bruce Abernethy the other day, what a fantastic kick of a football he was.
With all these million dollar athletes playing AFL not one would be good enough to tie Abbers shoelaces.
Pretty sure North Melbourne gave him a Ferrari when was 19 to entice him over (and a huge salary)
His pace was electric and could kick 50 metres on the run hit a target nearly everytime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking a couple years ago we'd struggle to beat NSW or Tasmania and we'd lose by 20 goals to Vic and WA.

Rozee, Dawson ...........George Hewitt?
Max James was another senior premiership player who played a fair bit of magoo's footy in the early 70's, I can recall him kicking two enormous goals in the same qtr on the run, and from well outside what is now the 50 metre line at the bowling green end of Alberton.

What happened to our zones they were so bloody good... Obviously they don't get looked after as well as when we did it.
I believe nord were given our country zone (the west coast of SA) as part of the one club deal, and what a kick in the guts that was for locals who have supported Port for generations, and Woodville West Torrens got our traditional suburban zone.

I believe nord were given our country zone (the west coast of SA) as part of the one club deal, and what a kick in the guts that was for locals who have supported Port for generations, and Woodville West Torrens got our traditional suburban zone.
I hope Woodville/West Torrens lifted there game from when I was a kid because I moved from a Port zone to a Woodville zone. Wow was that different. One of my mates was in a West zone where he had to endure Kerley and got re-zoned into South the poor bas.ard.

Unfortunately it’s not just possible with how the SANFL campaigners have structures the 2 AFL clubs sanfl teams.

You’re just never going to consistently have a good enough bottom bunch of players
Yes we did ok in those early years but year on year after that the SNAFFL tweaked and fixed it so it was harder and harder for us.
They are pathetic small minded and chicken hearted. I wish we would move to the VFL seconds. It’s become UNTENABLE.

The VFL is already a reserve comp... Minus us and wa
Crypto Cryptocurrency GIF by Binance

In respect to our SANFL team they don't play like a team because they don't train together plus there's no continuity because the top up players come in and out of the team regularly. When you have such a large amount of young guys playing against players with more strength you are likely to struggle.

I don't know if attitude is an issue but I wouldn't entirely be surprised if it is. But the general lack of skill and strength will always make it hard unless we have 18 AFL listed players all with developed bodies.

We are at a distinct disadvantage because of the SANFL rules.

I agree entirely. There is little point in comparing the past Magpies with today's crop. The situations are entirely different. In the golden era Port Reserves players were mainly recruited from our suburban and country zones. The majority progressed through under age footy for Port and all of them were thoroughly steeped in the Port tradition before they got anywhere near League footy.

In contrast today's players are recruited from interstate or from other SANFL clubs. When the current One Club arrangement was negotiated we fought hard and long to retain our involvement in the SANFL under age competitions but thanks to the small minded attitude of the SANFL it was not to be. To their credit David Koch and Keith Thomas were pretty vocal about us miantaining our under age sides. We are paying for that situation with lack of an internal pathway.

Some time ago I posted that Coaching the Port Magpies in the SANFL is the most difficult task in the Club. The result of the SANFL agreement and the nature of a Reserve side is that the Magpies' side changes from one week to the next. In addition the Port Magpies Coach is limited by a game plan and team placings that are strongly influenced by the AFL Coach. In contrast his opponents have no such constraints. They can select an unchanged side if they choose and have a licence to play the game style they want to play. As far as the SANFL competition goes Port Magpies are not playing on a level playing field. Despite this we have made SANFL Grand Finals in the past but have not been good enough on the day.

I often wonder how much some of the AFL recruits care about the Magpie guernsey or the past. They come to Alberton with one goal in mind- to play AFL football and that is where their focus is.

It doesn't make it any easier but perhaps the bottom line is to remember the Port Magpies are what they are- a Reserves side playing in a league in which the odds are stacked against them. Maybe that is letting the players off the hook but the system is definitely stacked against us and that does not help.

Last edited:
The answer is not moving from the SANFL to the VFL. The VFL is the SANFL under another name and the Port Magpies would probably end up being dictated to by Victorian in place of South Aussie idiots. The only answer is an AFL Reserves competition in which all 18 or 19 clubs field a Reserves side. The AFL has prioritised the women's league and a Tasmanian team and procrastinated on the formation of a Reserves competition.

I agree entirely. There is little point in comparing the past Magpies with today's crop. The situations are entirely different. In the golden era Port Reserves players were mainly recruited from our suburban and country zones. The majority progressed through under age footy for Port and all of them were thoroughly steeped in the Port tradition before they got anywhere near League footy.

In contrast today's players are recruited from interstate or from other SANFL clubs. When the current One Club arrangement was negotiated we fought hard and long to retain our involvement in the SANFL under age competitions but thanks to the small minded attitude of the SANFL it was not to be. To their credit David Koch and Keith Thomas were pretty vocal about us miantaining our under age sides. We are paying for that situation with lack of an internal pathway.

Some time ago I posted that Coaching the Port Magpies in the SANFL is the most difficult task in the Club. The result of the SANFL agreement and the nature of a Reserve side is that the Magpies' side changes from one week to the next. In addition the Port Magpies Coach is limited by a game plan and team placings that are strongly influenced by the AFL Coach. In contrast his opponents have no such constraints. They can select an unchanged side if they choose and have a licence to play the game style they want to play. As far as the SANFL competition goes Port Magpies are not playing on a level playing field. Despite this we have made SANFL Grand Finals in the past but have not been good enough on the day.

I often wonder how much some of the AFL recruits care about the Magpie guernsey or the past. They come to Alberton with one goal in mind- to play AFL football and that is where their focus is.

It doesn't make it any easier but perhaps the bottom line is to remember the Port Magpies are what they are- a Reserves side playing in a league in which the odds are stacked against them. Maybe that is letting the players off the hook but the system is definitely stacked against us and that does not help.
I can't recall anything about Koch and Thomas wanting to retain our involvement in the SANFL under age competitions pieman and have been under the impression a major part of the one club agreement was that we always had to give up our zones which made it virtually impossible to field under age teams, but blokes like yourself, Rossfc and REH probably know more about the one club arrangement than I do.

I can recall an `academy' team playing in the SANFL reserve's comp for a season or two, but it was very ordinary and got regularly smashed by most of the other SANFL teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back