2nds Norwood vs Port Adelaide - Round 10 @ The Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

2 weeks in a row that the tall's have been poor. Scully has hit a wall and has a long way to go. Lord struggling with the lack of quality feeders and the congested nature at this level . Not sure what instruction there getting, but both both refuse to lead on a regular basis, maybe game plan or lack of cohesion , anyways break needed and reset.

At risk of contradicting what I just wrote above, I agree with much of this. You'd get into whatever of the game you saw, and a close ending got the crowd pumped up for the main event, but it wouldn't ruin your day if they lost. You'd be more interested in watching developing players on the fringe of league selection.
The 1983 reserves grand final team had enough talent playing, they could've given current West Coast a touch up
I would want the U17’s U19’s reserves and the senior side to win, shows your a strong club.
1983, I think we had Craig Bradley and Russell Johnston in that side?
Some of those reserves sides would destroy our current reserves side.

Wasn't there 9 teenagers playing for Port today? that's gonna cause fluctuations in form, it wasn't that bad really single digit loss and Nord were due to win a game.
Norwood beat South last week by 4 goals and lost to Centrals by 5 points the week before so there form has not been that bad.
Seriously the standard of what I’ve seen on the AFL website is about the same as the old Amateur League that used to be on the telly Sunday’s.
People forget how good the SANFL competition used to be.
Plus the steak@onion sandwiches used to be so good 😂 they used to use Scotch Fillet 😍

I'm not saying you shouldn't care but the reality is it's a side full of baby draftees & top ups, surely people can temper expectations with that reality.

Not am old man...more middle aged but I like going to Alberton. Connects me to the club. I like to see watch the younger players . Like to see their development and you can see things that show you certain players have something that you can't see on tv.

Also like to say the occasional hello to some of the old timers in front of the Quinn stand and behind the goals that have been there since fos last coached.

Most games at Alberton now though we are just about outnumbered by opposition supporters.

It is what it is but a little sad.

As for tempering expectations perhaps those in here that are quick to go spud this , spud that, never play again need to realise it is a team full of kids and top ups (even with a full list to pick from).

Norwood beat South last week by 4 goals and lost to Centrals by 5 points the week before so there form has not been that bad.
Seriously the standard of what I’ve seen on the AFL website is about the same as the old Amateur League that used to be on the telly Sunday’s.
People forget how good the SANFL competition used to be.
Plus the steak@onion sandwiches used to be so good 😂 they used to use Scotch Fillet 😍
Well of course it is the best talent are all playing AFL around the country each week, the mature age brigade in state leagues are all failed AFL players for the most part.

We are on this weird plane where there is still a passion to be excelling at this level when it's really not what it used to be, and our main aim is development of baby draftees.

I would want the U17’s U19’s reserves and the senior side to win, shows your a strong club.
1983, I think we had Craig Bradley and Russell Johnston in that side?
Some of those reserves sides would destroy our current reserves side.
You want a winning culture right through the club

Just a question to the old timers, did you give a s**t about the Port Magpie reserves back in the days of yore?
Yes because a reserves team with a winning culture was great depth for the league team. The reserves team would be the players 20-35 in the league squad and the final few players were the best Under 17's getting experience against men and harder bodies. Usually if you were very good you would skip Under 19's. For instance Craig Bradley started playing Under 17's when he was 12 or 13. I remember because we played together. By the time he was 17 he was playing league.

At one stage Warren Tredrea got dropped from the Port AFL team because of poor form and poor goal kicking in his younger days.
Seen him play for Port in the SANFL at Alberton that weekend.
He went in 100% and played a couple of games in the SANFL before he got a recall.
Now our players go back to the SANFL and jog around like it’s a Sunday picnic.

I don't understand how Lord can look reasonably potent at AFL level and simultaneously get outbodied and outworked at SANFL level. Hopeless from him.

Neither Hayes not Visentini looked like taking a contested mark all day.

Scully is a traffic cone.

Entire game plan was bombing it on forwards heads and at no stage did any of them do anything positive.

snafful is just a forward's graveyard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well of course it is the best talent are all playing AFL around the country each week, the mature age brigade in state leagues are all failed AFL players for the most part.

We are on this weird plane where there is still a passion to be excelling at this level when it's really not what it used to be, and our main aim is development of baby draftees.
From what I’ve seen I don’t think this competition is a good place to develop anyone.
I know it’s all we have but it’s not good enough.
The Vic teams have a massive advantage having a VFL comp.

At risk of contradicting what I just wrote above, I agree with much of this. You'd get into whatever of the game you saw, and a close ending got the crowd pumped up for the main event, but it wouldn't ruin your day if they lost. You'd be more interested in watching developing players on the fringe of league selection.
The 1983 reserves grand final team had enough talent playing, they could've given current West Coast a touch up
Yeah the first time I saw Andrew McLeod and Michael Wilson was playing Ressies and with both of them you could see the qualities they had playing at that level when they were young and roar. Ressies was about improving your game playing against men and getting on TV. I remember Ian Day referring to one of my mates as "He's a big lump of lad. I bet he's a country boy". He got s**t for years about that.

quinton narkle came straight in from nowhere and pretty much racked up a couple of BOGs.

do the players in the sanfl just not give a s**t? are they not trying? there are a lot of "afl" players.

Look at the players just from Port that came from the SANFL to become name players in the VFL.
Bradley,Ebert,Phillips’s,Wanganeen,Buckley,Williams, Leslie,Anderson the list goes on and on and that’s just Port players.
You couldn’t develop a Cockroach in this shyt comp.

Look at the players just from Port that came from the SANFL to become name players in the VFL.
Bradley,Ebert,Phillips’s,Wanganeen,Buckley,Williams, Leslie,Anderson the list goes on and on and that’s just Port players.
You couldn’t develop a Cockroach in this shyt comp.
I'm not sure the point you are making though? if those guys you mentioned were teenagers now they'd be high draftees & scattered all over the country not developing here.

In respect to our SANFL team they don't play like a team because they don't train together plus there's no continuity because the top up players come in and out of the team regularly. When you have such a large amount of young guys playing against players with more strength you are likely to struggle.

I don't know if attitude is an issue but I wouldn't entirely be surprised if it is. But the general lack of skill and strength will always make it hard unless we have 18 AFL listed players all with developed bodies.

We are at a distinct disadvantage because of the SANFL rules.

I'm not sure the point you are making though? if those guys you mentioned were teenagers now they'd be high draftees & scattered all over the country not developing here.
It’s just showing it was an elite competition compared to the pathetic eyesore we have today.
All these players came from SA how many players of that standard are running around from SA today?

It’s all about winning In the afl. So having good form and players pushing for afl spots in the sanfl is good for the AFL team.

Mead and Burgoynes stats look promising so that is good.

I know they put sanfl and aflw flags in the mix for that highly optimistic 3 flags in 5 years goal, but the reality is they could 5peat the sanfl and AFLW and that wouldn’t mean s**t if we keep blowing prelim chances in the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Yes because a reserves team with a winning culture was great depth for the league team. The reserves team would be the players 20-35 in the league squad and the final few players were the best Under 17's getting experience against men and harder bodies. Usually if you were very good you would skip Under 19's. For instance Craig Bradley started playing Under 17's when he was 12 or 13. I remember because we played together. By the time he was 17 he was playing league.
Pretty sure Gavin Wanganeen played at U19 level when he was 14, unbelievable when you think about it. (Turned 50 today by the way)

It’s just showing it was an elite competition compared to the pathetic eyesore we have today.
All these players came from SA how many players of that standard are running around from SA today?
If you were to name a potential SA state of origin team at the moment the midfield is insanely good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back