Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Today is an historical day for me. Forty years ago today I began my utter hatred of the Richmond Football Club and everything attached to it.

For those who don't know the story... Grand Final 1980 - Collingwood versus Richmond, Sept.27.

I was offered a ticket to the Grand Final from a fellow teacher at my school. One catch: he was a Collingwood member, so the ticket was in the Collingwood members section. I would have to sit and watch the Grand Final among the great unwashed. Even in the early years of my love of footy, I was quite aware of that rabble. But, what the heck. Bert picked me up in time to watch part of the reserves game His lovely wife had loaded us up with homemade chicken sandwiches, cake and sundries and Bert brought the drinks, though they were non-alcoholic. What a great day it was going to be!

I decided to politely, though unenthusiastically, barrack for the Magpies on that autumn day, considering my surrounds and fearful for my safety. In those days Ricmond was the lesser of two evils to me and I had happily tipped them to win. The first quarter was a disappointment for the black and white crowd around me; the second quarter even worse. Collingwood was down by 43 points and my friend had had enough. He had seen this scenario before. So he decided to leave!

The bastard not only left me alone among the criminals in the Magpie members section, but he also took all of the food and drink which we had yet to really consume. I don't think I even had a taste of one of those delectable looking chicken sandwiches. I have almost blanked that dastardly act from my memory.

So there I was, all alone, like a waif from WWII, an innocent late 20ish year old in the middle of a losing war zone. The day had turned into an unmitigated disaster. And I'd have to take the train home on top of it! And all because of Richmond.

Other incidents added to my contempt of the Tigers over the years, but those are stories for another day.

So that is how I began my hatred of Richmond. Thank you, Collingwood, for making that possible and a personal thanks to Bert. We remain friends to this day. In fact, he and his daughter drove to Chicago from his daughter's home in Grand Rapid Michigan to see me just for a few hours about six years ago. He still owes me!

This is a fun selection of stats from the year. We had the fewest hitouts this year by a mile. Up there for uncontested possessions and marks i50 though.

The frees for and against are interesting being mainly ruckmen, some of the frees from ruck contests are extremely questionable.

I've seen a few posts about the team's progression this year compared to last year, with different metrics being talked about.
Thought I'd look at the teams we lost to in each year and do a basic comparison. I think looking at the teams we lost to provides an insight into the consistency of the team across the year, something that is usually an issue for younger teams.

2019, we lost to the following teams :
Cats (1st)
Lions (2nd)
Pies x2 (4th)
Eagles (5th)
Roos (12th)
Dockers (13th)
Saints (14th)
Blues (16th)
Suns (18th)

W:L ratio = 55:45
Average final ladder position of teams we lost to: 8.9
Median final ladder position of teams we lost to: 8.5

Power (1st)
Lions (2nd)
Tigers (3rd)
Cats (4th)
Saints (6th)
Pies (8th)
Blues (11th)

W:L ratio = 59:41
Average final ladder position of teams we lost to: 5
Median final ladder position of teams we lost to: 4

For a team finishing 7th in both years, there was a hell of a lot more inconsistency in our 2019 campaign where we lost to 5 of the bottom 7 teams. We generally got the job done in 2020 against lower teams, with Carlton being the only blip there. We did have some poor performances against good sides in Saints and Pies though.

Overall we had a better record this year when adjusted for games played, and losing to the better teams rather than throwing games away is a good sign of progression. Potentially more consistent effort within games could have resulted in more wins or bigger wins.

As the team gets more experienced I'd expect us to be improving our position come end of year by: a) totally eliminating the howler game or two (Pies, Blues) and b) More consistent 4 quarter efforts each week resulting in 1-2 extra wins and 10-20% percentage.

Based on the last 2 years though we're definitely tracking in the right direction.

There was a little video during the CSM broadcast about a barbeque the club had had sometime at the hub - anyone see it? Dunks was hosting/cooking, assisted by "Brick" Trengove. Toby was making salads - and was wearing a t-shirt with the logo or picture on the front that I noticed was blurred out. Any clues? Any hypotheses?

There was a little video during the CSM broadcast about a barbeque the club had had sometime at the hub - anyone see it? Dunks was hosting/cooking, assisted by "Brick" Trengove. Toby was making salads - and was wearing a t-shirt with the logo or picture on the front that I noticed was blurred out. Any clues? Any hypotheses?
I saw that. My uneducated guess was that it was a brand that conflicts with a sponsor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe he was wearing an Old El Paso tshirt.

Has anybody else seen the Herald Sun today? The newspaper has a special wrap-around as its front and back pages to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the merger between The Herald and The Sun. On the front it states they are "celebrating all that makes Melbourne and Victoria so great." The wrap-around contains many caricatures drawn by Herald Sun chief cartoonist Mark Knight. I am not infuriated or outraged at what Knight has drawn, but it was noticeable that among the caricatures are Tony Shaw holding the 1990 premiership cup aloft. Yes this was a significant premiership because a lengthy drought was broken and I do not expect Knight to have depicted every premiership over the last 30 years. However, he has also drawn a picture of Joffa which can only relate to Collingwood's 2010 premiership as Joffa was not a football personality back in 1990. There are also Collingwood-related drawings of Lou Richards and Eddie McGuire (driving a tram). Furthermore, there is also a drawing of Luke Hodge holding the 2015 premiership cup, most likely to signify Hawthorn's three-peat. In addition there is a drawing of Dustin Martin, who is not holding a premiership cup, but he does have two Norm Smiths to his name, so there is a Richmond premiership link with him being present. And so my point is that I was disappointed our premiership was not depicted in some way. I think Knight has missed a golden opportunity to draw one of three great images. Firstly he could have simply shown Easton Wood holding the premiership cup as with Hodge and Shaw. Or, what a great image it would have been to show Luke Beveridge putting his medal around Bob Murphy's neck. Or, for a touch of levity he could have even drawn Bont tipping that tub of sports drink all over Bevo.

And on a brief sideline, I thought Cate Blanchett could have also been featured. She is a Victorian (born in Ivanhoe) and is the only Aussie to win two Oscars.

Has anybody else seen the Herald Sun today? The newspaper has a special wrap-around as its front and back pages to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the merger between The Herald and The Sun. On the front it states they are "celebrating all that makes Melbourne and Victoria so great." The wrap-around contains many caricatures drawn by Herald Sun chief cartoonist Mark Knight. I am not infuriated or outraged at what Knight has drawn, but it was noticeable that among the caricatures are Tony Shaw holding the 1990 premiership cup aloft. Yes this was a significant premiership because a lengthy drought was broken and I do not expect Knight to have depicted every premiership over the last 30 years. However, he has also drawn a picture of Joffa which can only relate to Collingwood's 2010 premiership as Joffa was not a football personality back in 1990. There are also Collingwood-related drawings of Lou Richards and Eddie McGuire (driving a tram). Furthermore, there is also a drawing of Luke Hodge holding the 2015 premiership cup, most likely to signify Hawthorn's three-peat. In addition there is a drawing of Dustin Martin, who is not holding a premiership cup, but he does have two Norm Smiths to his name, so there is a Richmond premiership link with him being present. And so my point is that I was disappointed our premiership was not depicted in some way. I think Knight has missed a golden opportunity to draw one of three great images. Firstly he could have simply shown Easton Wood holding the premiership cup as with Hodge and Shaw. Or, what a great image it would have been to show Luke Beveridge putting his medal around Bob Murphy's neck. Or, for a touch of levity he could have even drawn Bont tipping that tub of sports drink all over Bevo.

And on a brief sideline, I thought Cate Blanchett could have also been featured. She is a Victorian (born in Ivanhoe) and is the only Aussie to win two Oscars.
Or McLean jumping on tboyds back

All's well, worbod.

There's a ballerina wearing Essendon socks at the top of the back page of the wrap.

Could there possibly be anything more important to all Victorians - and the Hun - than that? :cool:

Yep, saw that this morning & thought exactly the same thing.

On a positive note our premiership did make one of the best newspaper covers - photo of the team with the cup (inside 2nd back page wrap around I think).

1602133667320.png

'Dogs overcame 62 years and a shameful name change. Hibernian FC in the Scottish Premiership League overcame, wait for it, 114 years.

'Dogs overcame 62 years and a shameful name change. Hibernian FC in the Scottish Premiership League overcame, wait for it, 114 years.

I didn't realise they also broke their drought in 2016. Their 114-year wait is one year ahead of Sussex waiting 113 years to win the County Championship in English cricket in 2003.

Does anybody know whether Footscray received anything after we defeated Essendon in the Championship of Victoria game in 1924? Did we received a trophy, shield, certificate, pennant or some such thing? The title Championship of Victoria seems to be an unofficial title with the game being known as Dame Nellie Melba's Appeal for Limbless Soldiers. So seeing as it was an exhibition game for a charity-related cause I was wondering whether the club has any memorabilia to commemorate its victory.

I have Jack Meuleman’s medallion they were awarded after the match.
He is my wife’s grandfather.
i could post a photo if you would like ?

We offered it along with other stuff of his to the Bulldog museum , but they never got back to us.

King Harold, we're still waiting to see this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back