NRL wants ANZ Stadium to be made rectangular

Remove this Banner Ad

ANZs biggest percieved problem is its location. Adelaide Ovals biggest success factor is its location and subsequent ease of access.

True enough.....Perhaps the $350M would be spent on improving transport links (public or otherwise).

They certainly aren't blameless, the NRL being weak didn't help either, can only hope lessons are learnt and they find a way to fix it.

Bums on seats is really going to be the only way to fix it. All the conversion to a rectangular oval will do if attendance remains the same is take away another talking point RL people use to complain about the AFL. While the change might spike attendances in the short term for H&A RL games, if the tenant clubs are shithouse, that won't make any difference in the world. The Dogs attendance problems were not solved by us moving to Etihad just because our supporters had a shinny new home with a roof. Attendances for major international events is really not going to be changed much by the conversion. I can't imagine people from NSW would not go to a Origin decider (or even Origin game) based on the current config, or people staying away from a Socceroo WCC knock out qualifier. Those events are gonna draw no matter what shape the stadium is.

The AFL may actually be better off playing the long game and see how much of a long term difference this makes on RL attendances. The AFL averaged 30k out the gate at Etihad and prior to 2014, it had never dipped below that (this year was 28,241, last year only just beat the first year with 30,500 odd but generally it has been about 34-35k). The NRL averages has hit highs of 37k (only two games, both finals) to lows of 15k (in 06 and 08 in the years where they had more games then any other at ANZ) so it has been pretty variable, although as you can see http://afltables.com/rl/crowds/stadium_australia_vn.html the amount of games played has some sort of factor. But it's safe to say that over the distance the real average amount of people to go to a game at ANZ is around 17-18k. Is a shift to a rectangle stadium going to bump those averages to the high 20's in 10 years time? If the answer is no (and I suspect that unless the tenant clubs are regular top 4 sides are that the answer will be no), then the AFL might be in a much better position to get Spotless upgraded to whatever the hell size they want it to be. By restricting the size of Spotless in the early years, the AFL will be able to create a demand much bigger than they can service in terms of attendance if the Giants can make the finals, even a GF in the next 5-10 years.

This is not necessarily a negative though, as if somebody was willing to pay money to physically attend an event, it is a pretty safe assumption that they will then watch it on T.V if they cannot attend, which will then have a positive influence on T.V rights fees (or however we consume football in the next 10 years). This would not be a possibility if the AFL was able to move games to ANZ for games for a hypothetical GWS power playing a top 4 side which might get 40k-60k. By limiting the most GWS can get to a game in western Sydney to 25k, the AFL will then be in a much better position to lobby Government, with a club getting pretty safe 17-23k average crowds and 150k viewing audiences, to get upgraded to whatever they see fit. But again this, much like what RL people see in a potential reconfig, is pretty much predicated on the clubs having success on the field and putting bums on seats. Success is pretty much the one true driver of that through history and the AFL, to their credit, has done their best to give GWS the best chance of achieving that success. But if GWS remains bottom 4 for the next 10 years and the three tenant clubs at ANZ do the same, it won't matter what stadium they are playing in, people will stay away.

The only possible people who could truly make a realistic claim to get 40k off the bat from a true rectangular stadium are the WSW. But they may have benefited from what I initially talked about with the restricted demand by playing at Parra stadium (I CBF checking but I assume attendance at Parra is the same roughly as Spotless) and it remains to be seen if an A-League team would be able to draw 40-50k on a regular basis for standard H&A games, especially if their hot start to existence cools a bit. That also assumes the owners have not seriously alienated the fanbase by having a pay dispute with their players. But they clearly are the ones with most potential to market it to their fans and not have it wear off quickly as a novelty.

Thank goodness. The SCG with the new development will hold close to 50,000..remind me why we need more seats than that! 40-50K at the SCG is a heck of a lot better than 40K in an 80K dark hole in Sydney at Homebush (and I work for that silly Stadium so I should know lol)

Government should allocate tax dollars smarter than this. Eg public housing.
The stadium claims they bring in $300m to the NSW economy each year, whether that's true I don't know but if it is then it's bringing in a lot of money that can be spent on other things.

Also people should make smarter choices where they shouldn't rely on public housing

The stadium claims they bring in $300m to the NSW economy each year, whether that's true I don't know but if it is then it's bringing in a lot of money that can be spent on other things.

Also people should make smarter choices where they shouldn't rely on public housing
Public housing was only an example.
And money is it really going into the economy or is just lining company profit?

True enough.....Perhaps the $350M would be spent on improving transport links (public or otherwise).

There isn't much they can do transport wise. Problem is the stadium is a downright pain to get out of with nothing to do around the area

Also claims about money going into an ecomony are based on extrapolations of estimates of statistics. The same people claim large benefits from the Melbourne Grand Prix - I don't think they are correct and that tax money spent to subsidise > tax monies received from economic activity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It most certainly isnt the same size it was during the Olympics. The lower seating bowl had to be reconfigured to make it into an oval shape, and movable seating had to be introduced.

The real question is whether the shape would have been any different for rectangular sports had the ground not been configured that way. And it's hard to see how.

The ends certainly wouldn't have been - you can't just put extra rows of seats in front of the existing ones because there isn't the incline.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...a-league-in-2016/story-fnp0lyn3-1227211561696SYDNEY’S UNHOLY ALLIANZ

SIX NRL clubs could be forced to play home games at Allianz Stadium if chief executive Dave Smith is successful in lobbying for a new 65,000-seat stadium at Moore Park.

To convince the government to fund the project, Smith has given a guarantee that it would become the new home of rugby league and be used in similar fashion to the AFL at the MCG and Etihad. Clubs forced to abandon their traditional old home grounds could include Manly, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Souths and St George Illawarra who would join the Roosters as joint tenants. I texted Smith on Saturday for his comments on the situation but he did not reply.

I've been to Sydney before a couple of times but hardly left the cbd, isn't just hard to get anywhere in such a massive place?
Yep, its the way the city is spread, and the lack of infrastructure that is only now starting to be fixed (North west rail link, 2nd airport etc).

The only way we could have a stadium with better transport than ANZ is to build a stadium on top of Central railway station.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back