Number 32 - Stephen Hill (pick 3 2008 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Showed on the weekend that he is just as good in the air as he is at ground level. Plus they were tagging him in the backline, what a gun.
not only tagging him but also targeting him. Almost every time he disposed of the ball he was dealt with afterwards. Umps better keep an eye on that

Got one in the head which should've been at least a free if not a report
I agree - half back flank at the City end. On the replay the vision was there (a bit fuzzy and at a distance), if Hill had rolled around holding his head after impact it would have attracted the attention of the MRP. It clearly looked like a deliberate elbow/forearm to the head as Hilly was getting a handball away and should have been looked at. He is being targeted now and the club needs to highlight it.

This thread is an interesting read from start to finish. Our initial trepidation at not selecting the AFL ready Rich. Then the excitement as we saw our young star emerge. Hill's composure with the ball is exceptional. For someone so young he rarely burns the ball.

I have no dispute with Rich having a better debut season. Though i think we nabbed our 'Rich' at pick 24. Hill is unique and looks great after 1 season.

The overall consensus was his vast scope for improvement. The season just gone has just scraped the surface. He's already grabbed the umpires top votes in a game already.

I look forward to seeing him grab a lot more BOG as he develops further.

I found towards the end of the season even Hill's teammates were looking to give him the ball as much as possible because they all realised he uses the ball so well and has the smarts he is just the bloke you want to have the ball.

I think it was against Port at the end of the season where continually at half back players like Dodd, Tarrant, Broughton etc were giving it off to him and then Hill kicking it to Half forward was just beautiful.

When we got the final Docker Mag for the year I put the poster of Hill up on my office wall. I haven't put a poster of a footy player on my wall for about 30 years. I just love this kid. Has become my favourite player. Absolute kudos to the club for having the cojones to take him over Rich. Wouldn't swap him for anyone.

When we got the final Docker Mag for the year I put the poster of Hill up on my office wall. I haven't put a poster of a footy player on my wall for about 30 years. I just love this kid. Has become my favourite player. Absolute kudos to the club for having the cojones to take him over Rich. Wouldn't swap him for anyone.

One of the best things is that nobody outside the club seems to rate him either, I'm looking foward to seeing him progress over the next few years, close to my favourite player now too.

I think it was against Port at the end of the season where continually at half back players like Dodd, Tarrant, Broughton etc were giving it off to him and then Hill kicking it to Half forward was just beautiful.
Port were really conscious of him in that game, recieved a bit of rough stuff after he'd (accurately) disposed of the ball. Didn't phase him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best things is that nobody outside the club seems to rate him either, I'm looking foward to seeing him progress over the next few years, close to my favourite player now too.

I was just reading that 'best midfielder in 5 years' thread on the main board and I hardly see any mention of him. If he doesn't end up a better player than Rich I will eat my own face

Re: Stephen Hill

The guy seems very switched on, reliable, hard at it and a very good bloke. He can play footy aswell.

I guarantee you will all love him at the end of next year.

I'll bump it.

Nice work there Qstradamus.

I was just reading that 'best midfielder in 5 years' thread on the main board and I hardly see any mention of him. If he doesn't end up a better player than Rich I will eat my own face

Big call there maximus. Rich is going to be a very good player, and already is for that sake. Hill has the potential to do anything but both are going to turn out to be superstars.

Big call there maximus. Rich is going to be a very good player, and already is for that sake. Hill has the potential to do anything but both are going to turn out to be superstars.
I agree, Rich will be very good, but I don't see him reaching superstar status. His left boot is an awesome weapon, but after that, what part of his game is truely elite?

Just watching the Saints game again......Hilly looks very reluctant to use his right boot. A few occasions he put himself under extreme pressure, in order to get onto his left. Thinking back, nothing really stands out where i remember him using his right. Anyone know if he has no right foot?

I like the comparison to Peter Matera.
So i thought I'd look at some stats.

Hilly is currently averaging approx 3 disposals less a game over career than Roo over his.
About half a mark less.
But about half a tackle more.
Half a goal less

If you look at his 2010 though:
he averages 3 possessions more
a full tackle more
0.1 goals more

The really interesting stat I reckon is that Roo had a ratio of approximately 3:1 kicks to handballs, while Hills is 1:1 so this reflects the change in the game, maybe how much more open it was (and that Roo was a Blue and Yella seagull waiting for the easy balls outside the packs ;)).
It got me wondering whether we can structure Hill's use more so we can use that left foot weapon of his more...will Palmer coming back make it easier for that to happen?

Also interesting that Roo only played 6 games as a 21 year old...then kicked into it in 1991 with the run to the GF, so I think that makes Hills start to his second season as an 18 year old even more impressive.
2009: Average 14.8 disposals, 3.1 marks, 2.7 tackles, 0.4 goals
2010 first 4: 21.8 disposals, 3 marks, 3.5 tackles, 1 goal .

I've noticed Hill use his right foot a few times to good effect. Stands out in my mind because left footers are generally woeful on the right foot, with the notable exception of Simon Black.

In one game this year there was a passage where Hill burst out of a centre bouncedown with a man hot on his tail and delivered a pin point right foot pass to a man on a lead who didn't have to break stride. It only went about 25-30m but it was centremetre perfect and that's all he needs to be able to do on his right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back