Number 32 - Stephen Hill (pick 3 2008 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Stephen Hill

Beep 13.12 (76%)
3km 11.01 (75%)
Well... that's basically the same as Rich's, and competitive with some of our players over 3k iirc.

And Rich effectively had AFL level fitness and conditioning coaches working with him over the last few years. West Perth doesn't have that level.

Plus you get his speed. That agility, speed and endurance combination that Hill has is pretty rare..

Is it true Hill has a bit of indigenious blood? Speaking to a relative who plays for West Perth, he is very impressed with Hill, reckons he is grease lightning, hard worker, but also very humble. The more i hear about him, the more it sounds like he has more upside than Rich.

Is it true Hill has a bit of indigenious blood? Speaking to a relative who plays for West Perth, he is very impressed with Hill, reckons he is grease lightning, hard worker, but also very humble. The more i hear about him, the more it sounds like he has more upside than Rich.
His dad is indigenous

Isn't it obvious?? :confused:

Not only does he have the physical characteristics, but it's the reason all the nuff-nuffs keep comparing him to Tambling or JON. For no other reason than he's indigenous. :rolleyes:

havent heard much about hills actual football skills yet?
all i keep hearing is hes a great athlete.
Hes the right body type we need for our midfield we really dont need another small ball winning mid which rich was we have palmer haze etc for that.
So hill is a great add to our midfield group being good height an athletic outside mid that can be rotated back or forward.

But has he shown any football skills so far?
If not i think Yarran wouold have been worth the risk since they didnt want rich

Not only does he have the physical characteristics, but it's the reason all the nuff-nuffs keep comparing him to Tambling or JON. For no other reason than he's indigenous. :rolleyes:
Chris Yarran is the next Sampi/Tambling board. :thumbsdown:

According to The Age, Hill and Walters are cousins.

Apparently Yarran and Betts are related. :)

0,,6375551,00.jpg

Good colour :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Number TBA - Stephen Hill (pick 3 2008)

Stephen Hill highlights 2008

[youtube]0eRzNWVT4GM[/youtube]

Stephen Hill vs Vic Metro (2008 U-18 championships)

[youtube]k9CvCyeql-o[/youtube]

Stephen Hill at home after being chosen at pick 3 in ND by Freo

[youtube]nFcVk7G1Sug[/youtube]

Stephen_Hill_Draft_246a.jpg

StephenHill_200px.jpg

0,,6340308,00.jpg

Hill246x316a.jpg

Brad Lloyd on Hill

Selection No.3: Stephen Hill
West Perth/Quinns Districts JFC, WA, Medium midfielder/defender, May 1 1990, 182cm, 72kg
"He'll be able to play a midfield role for us in the longer term, but he's only fairly light at this stage, so there's a fair bit of development left in him to get his body up to AFL level."
AFL.com.au profile:

Date of birth: 1/5/90
Height: 182cm
Weight: 72kg
Club: West Perth/Quinns Districts JFC

Bio: Hill is a medium midfielder/defender with excellent pace and a raking left foot kick. He can play inside or outside football, winning both contested and uncontested possessions, and his run and carry is a feature of his game. He won All-Australian under-18 selection following the NAB AFL championships. From Quinns Districts JFC.

Jason McCartney says: Stephen came from right off the radar and really jumped up in the championships. The first game at Subiaco for Western Australia – and you've got to remember we're only playing 20-minute flat quarters – he had the GPS on him and he ran 15km playing off half-back and through the middle. He played with great bounce and agility and it was no coincidence that he broke the record for the agility test at the draft camp.

Stats: NAB AFL Under 18 Championships
Team
Mt K HB D M HO T G
W.A. 5 8.4 5.0 13.4 3.0 0.0 2.4 0.6

Draft Camp highlights:

1st agility test 7.77 seconds (draft camp record)
3rd 20m sprint 2.83sec
=3rd standing vertical jump 72cm
=7th repeat sprints (six x 30m sprints) 25.44sec

In his own words

What sort of player are you?
I play on the wing and across half-back and occasionally have a run in the middle.

Strengths?
Probably my speed and endurance.

Weaknesses?
Probably my strength.

Which AFL team do you support?
The Eagles.

Which AFL player do you feel you most resemble?
I don’t know, I can’t really think of any. I’m a bit of a runner, I’ve got a bit of speed. I really like Buddy Franklin from the Hawks.
FFC.com.au on Hill:

The club used its prized first round selection (No. 3 overall) to recruit highly rated West Perth midfielder Stephen Hill.

Stephen played for West Perth in both colts and league this year. He represented WA in the U18 National Championships and was rewarded with All-Australian honours for his performances. He showed huge improvement throughout the course of 2008 playing largely on a wing or across the back line. He also had some tagging roles, including against Port Adelaide draftee Hamish Hartlett, and executed the roles with aplomb.

A competitive, quick and AIS/AFL record holder for agility, Stephen has a damaging left foot kick and is capable of hitting targets at both short and long range.
2 Excellent Articles on Hill:

West Perth youngster Stephen Hill has leapt onto the AFL draft radar after a standout performance for WA at the State under-18’s Championships earlier this year. The 18 year-old capped off a superb tournament with selection in the All-Australian side and is now tipped to be an early pick in November’s AFL draft.
Hill said he was pleased with his performance at the championships but never expected to do as well as he did.
“It was surprising,” he said. “I never thought I would be All-Australian.”
West Perth Football Manager Ryan Lasscock said Hill’s carnival was “outstanding”.
“He didn’t look out of place. While he may have surprised people outside of our club, we saw what we see every week with Stephen,” Lasscock said.
The classy left-footer was even rated the championship’s best player by team-mate and possible number one pick, Nicholas Naitanui.
“I doubt that,” Hill said.
Hill said he would prefer to stay in WA and play for the Eagles or Dockers, but he would have no hesitation going interstate if drafted there.
“If I had to I would definitely go,” he said. “It would be tough not knowing anyone… and leaving my family and friends.”
Hill rated his mother Stephanie as his greatest inspiration.
“She’s been there for me all the time, getting me to training and games,” he said.
Stephanie said she would prefer her son stayed in WA, but added she would be happy wherever he ended up.
She said the club that drafted Stephen would be getting a “really good kid”.
“He is a caring, nice-natured boy,” she said. “He is well behaved, not aggressive, and he will try his best.”
Stephanie said her son had shown potential to be a good footballer from an early age.
“He could drop-punt a football when he was two,” she said. “His father was a very good footballer also.”
Hill started playing football at Quinns District when he was six, and was later selected in West Perth’s under-14’s development squad. He recently made his WAFL league debut against Peel on July 19.
Football Manager Ryan Lasscock said the Falcon’s had identified Hill’s talents from early on.
“He had a unique skill set that not a lot of kids have,” he said. “His best asset would be his pace. It’s exceptional.”
Lasscock said whichever club drafted Hill would be getting a quality person and a great footballer.
“Stephen is a quality kid who is going to follow instructions and do what’s best for the team,” he said. “He’s not worried about individual success, he just wants to win.”
Lasscock believes Hill has the ability to become an “elite” AFL footballer.
“The work is ahead of him but the way he has gone about his footy this year… it’s in his hands,” he said. “How far he wants to go is up to him.”
Hill is a West Coast Eagle’s fan and lists fallen star Ben Cousins as his football hero.
His favourite current player is Hawks superstar Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin.
Hill said he was excited at the possibility of lining up next to stars like Franklin and Cousins.
“I’d be honoured to play with or against them,” he said.

STEPHEN Hill can't remember exactly when he realised that if he grabbed the ball, and bolted, not many people could keep up with him.
But his mother, Stephanie, has a better memory. "He was three years old and I couldn't even keep up with him," she remembered last week.
"He went off to Auskick and he'd get the ball in the middle and just run off with it. Or he'd kick it from the middle to the goals, and none of the other kids would get to touch it.
"They ended up having to yell out to him to stop, just so they could get the ball off him."
Not much has changed since, although nobody is screaming at Hill to put the brakes on these days. He is the speed machine in this year's draft pool - in fact, he is this year's "It Boy", whose bold, creative and often ferocious play at this year's under-18 championships, combined with some brilliant speed and agility testing at last month's draft camp, has pushed him up the order in the last part of the year.
But where he used to run on pure instinct, Hill has had to re-teach himself to do it this year. Last season, as a quiet, shy 17-year-old, he was invited to train with the under-18 state team but cut after a single session.
"That was OK," he says even now, with a shrug. "They were a really good team last year. I was pretty lucky to get that far, I thought. I didn't think they would pick me. I didn't think they should pick me."
This year, that thinking started to change.
Hill made the squad and, during a trial game, hurled himself at a ball, looked up, realised he had won it, and took off. "I was still a bit nervous, but after that game I didn't worry any more, I just tried to play," said Hill, whose ability to quell South Australian draft prospect Hamish Hartlett in his state's second game, while still making things happen, made him begin to believe that his team really did need him.
He'd had things to think about on the way to that game, too: the trip from Perth to Adelaide was the first time the teenager had been on a plane.
"That was OK. That was pretty fun actually, jumping on the plane," he said. "But with the footy, I didn't even really know what a run-with role was. I didn't know how to do it, and then a few of the other boys were telling me what a good player he was.
"I didn't know he was as well known as he was . . . It gave me some more confidence." The process continued after Hill, with an All-Australian jumper to squeeze into his travel bag, went home. Having spent the first part of the season in the West Perth colts team, he was thrown straight into the senior side where his coach, Todd Curley, told him he wasn't just there on promise, or potential, but because he was required there.
Curley said: "I had a few chats to him, because he has held back a bit at times, and all I said was, 'We're backing you in here, I want you to play with the same mindset that you did in the under-18s'.
"And he did that. He had some big roles. He played on some good players and he just seemed to do it and love doing it . . . he's a super-quiet kid but he's always got a smile on his face and he's fiercely determined, he really is. It's very rare that he gets beaten, those second and third efforts come like an instinct to him.
"He's probably just one where you've got to continually remind him what he's good at, to tell to take things on, because he's got that real team mindset. But he's got all the tools. As his confidence grows, I think he'll learn to take the game on more and more." Hill is still quiet, and shy, although Curley did not sense any discomfort in him when he sat by his bigger, older teammates in team meetings, or darted between them on the training track.
"He's not a massive extrovert, but he won our guys over pretty quickly," he said.
"He leads in other ways; it's like whenever you need him, he's there for you.
"We had him play run-with roles, in attacking roles, even centre-bounce stuff in the finals. When we thought we really needed to win the game, he was the one we threw in there. I think he's most comfortable when the game's up and running."
Should an interstate club call his name out next Saturday, Hill has a lot to leave: he lives minutes from the beach, and his body board and wet suit practically live in his car boot, and he has a houseful of siblings and a mother who has done everything for him.
Ask how he'll cope he simply nods, another shy smile on his face. "I think it'll be hard, but I've wanted to do this my whole life," he said.

Kevin Sheahan top 30 profile:

Stephen Hill
West Perth / Quinns Districts JFC.
1/5/90, 183.7cm, 68.9kgs
An excellent 2008 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships and an
outstanding showing at Draft Camp has thrust Stephen into high draft contention.
He is a medium midfielder/defender with excellent pace and a raking left-foot kick.
Versatile, he is capable of playing inside or outside, winning both contested and uncontested
possessions, his run and carry a feature of his game.
Stephen won All-Australian honours after an excellent national carnival, and was Western
Australia’s best in their shock loss to Vic Country at Subiaco, gathering 15 disposals and
kicking a goal.
He played seven games in the West Perth Colts before he was promoted to the League team
where played eight senior matches. He was among the Falcons’ best in the Preliminary Final
against Swan Districts, while his eye-catching early season form earned him Colts Team of
the Year honours.
A standout at the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Camp at the AIS in Canberra, he ranked in the top 5
in the vertical jump, 20-metre sprint and the agility test where he eclipsed Danyle Pearce’s
camp record set in 2004.
Q&A
What was your 2008 football highlight? Making the Draft Camp and playing in the State
Under 18 carnival - playing on Telstra Dome was a great experience.
Which AFL players do you watch or model yourself on? Daniel Wells and Andrew
McLeod. I like the way McLeod rebounds from defence and his skills.
Which of your peers have impressed you this season? Clancee Pearce, Nick Naitanui and
Jack Watts have all been impressive this year.
What would your coaches and teammates say your strengths are? Kicking, running,
accountability and decision-making.

Coach Couch's consolidated draft profile:

Pav For AA on Hill: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12545378&postcount=25
Stephen Hill 182/69 West Perth

STYLE LIKE: Mark Nicoski

*TRADEMARK: Running with the Flight mark

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

*DISPOSAL, DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS
:

- Questionable, inconsistent at times penetrating disposal by foot
- Can launch the ball 60 metres with ease one minute then miss a stationary target the next over 15.
- Not a ball magnet, prefers to be led to the footy and feed off an opponents error.
- Not the most poised competitor, runs as if he is being chased by an axe murderer which hurts his composure. Usually decides upon the right target, whether it gets there is another issue.
- Good by hand fairly even ratio. One would like him to kick more
- Very strong attack on the ball and man.
- Good tackling technique
- Gets his hands free in the tackle.

*HANDS: Clean

*OVERHEAD MARKING: Prefers the chest mark over the dukes, not a huge pack marker but good overhead when he needs to be. Isn’t afraid to run with the flight of the ball into traffic.

*ATHLETICISM, INTENSITY, ETHIC, CONSISTENCY:

- Broke DC records, very agile, very quick. Good closing speed.

-Wiry to small frame, will be interesting to see how the extra kgs will affect his pace and agility
. Runs well with open space ahead of him, can become panicked with men in front
- Excellent attack on the ball and works well below his knees
- Massive introvert who is close to his family. May be subject to the go home factor if a Vic club picks him up.
- Disposal is a little inconsistent

*IMPROVEMENT SCOPE
- Large. That type of pace and agility could be used in a number of positions. My only query is whether he has enough class to succeed in any one position or will he forever be a jack of all trades master of none type utility.

*AFL VERSATILITY:
I don't think he’s marking over head or crumbing is good enough to play as a forward, his frame will hold him back from defence for a while. Most likely suited as a defensive mid/wingman

*QUERY: Disposal and Frame.

TBU Draft profile on Hill: http://wadraftprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/11/stephen-hill-west-perth.html

Gilly1972 on Hill:
Hill may be a bit riskier, but then the potential rewards are there too...not often a bloke who is 184cm, tests that athletically, possesses a natural and strong defensive side and can actually play the game comes along. Hill has more scope for improvement than Rich to boot. Hill is an elite athlete who doesn't have to learn the game.

Yes i can. 184cm, runs like the wind, huge engine, record agility, very strong defensive side (kept Yarran to one handball in their WAFL match after Yarran had been tearing it up), good overhead, typically one-touch player.....so he has skinny arms....what's not to like?

Stephen Hill fits your description. Yarran is probably a slightly better kick, but if you want an agile jet running off HB or through the midfield Hill is the go. Might be a little bit of a reach at 6 but not a huge one. Already has a solid defensive side to his game too and this would not need to be developed like some others....which is a bonus.

Again I can see where you are coming from but think you are placing too much emphasis on minor flaws that are fixable. That sort of pace, agility and engine aren't. His footy smarts are ok, and while he is not as instinctual as others, he usually buys himself time with the combination of pace and agility.

As for the body shape, if you blokes are willing to take a punt on Notte....say no more .

Personally there are others I would prefer at 6, but if the top 5 fell a certain way, he'd certainly be one of two or three I would look at for 6.

nah, why would we want a super quick jet with good skills and can run all day to boot.......also a great kid by all reports.....don't need him .

I'm with TGR.

I've had him top 10 since seeing some of his other champs games. Huge upside, was given the run-with role of every opposition midfielder and stuck to his task every time. Is prone to kicking a bit of a floater from time to time, but on the whole it is fine. Saw him kick a few goals on the run from 50m+ so he can't be too bad a kick.

I personally have him very close to the six mark, and would not be unhappy with him in navy blue next year.

mjp on Hill:

2/.Stephen Hill - Midfield - West Perth

To me he is that Del Santo type player. Elite kicking skills, good speed...but always has time with the ball. Another who has spent a lot of time playing in the 1's post-carnival, he probably hasn't had the impact his coach was looking for but certainly flashed a lot of ability. Left footer as well.

RCRM on Hill:
He's rated much highly overall inside recruiting circles than he his outside.

I find it hard to see him completely flopping like JON - even though he's skinny as a rake, he has a good sized frame that looks like it will fill out with the greater emphasis on weights at the next level and his defensive game is A-grade. At worst I think he'll be an excellent, versatile stopper that can keep up with anyone and hurt a bit going the other way in small doses. At best he'll be an elite, 2-way running, long goal kicking wing/midfield utility that no-one can keep up with. The rookie analyst (myself) sees the former more likely to eventuate, but much better judges see the latter as higher probability.
Snoop Dog on Hill:
# 18 West Coast Eagles – Stephen Hill (West Perth / 182 / 72)

I wrote earlier that I thought Blease could have the most upside – Hill would be hot on his tail. Often wonder whether this kid could end being in the top 3 or so from this draft. A wiry framed kid who plays more outside than in but if he fills out properly will be one of the hardest matchups in AFL footy. That combination of speed, endurance and a bit of strength will be sensational to watch. Lot like Brennan in his cat like movement but doesn’t have the leap of Brennan IMO. Has more speed though and a bigger engine. Typically plays on a wing and has explosive pace. Skills are very good when on but can butcher it under pressure at times. Could go a lot higher!

Emma Quayle on Hill:

12. Stephen Hill
(184cm, 69kg)
Don’t be fooled by this skinny little whippet — he’s as tough as they come. He’s got great skills and as his confidence grows (I think he’ll take
a little while to adjust to AFL footy) he’ll start breaking away on some
dashing runs and kicking long goals. He’s busy, diligent, and will be highly
exciting to watch.
Tim Clarke on Hill:

Stephen Hill Age 18
Hgt 182
Wgt 72

Team: West Perth/Quinns District JFC

Medium midfielder/defender with excellent pace and a raking left foot highlighted with a goal on the run outside 50m at Telstra Dome against Vic Metro. Had outstanding Championships and was at his best in wins against NSW/ACT at Subiaco, South Australia at AAMI and in Western Australia's loss to Vic Metro. Showed he can play inside or outside winning an average of 7 contested possessions per match, with his run and carry a feature.

Champion Data Ranking Average Points: 108.12
Quigley on Hill:

Stephen Hill (DOB – 1/5/90, Ht – 182, Wt – 72)

I know Hill has a lot of supporters out but I am not one of them. He is being talked up as an option at three but if I was asked to pick someone who I thought would not make it at AFL level it would be Hill. Okay first the good – he tested extremely well at draft camp and has a booming left foot kick. He is extremely quick (2.83 in the sprint for 3rd and 25.44 in the repeat sprints) and very agile having broken the record at camp in the agility test (7.77). He also has a very good leap (his 72cm standing vertical was third best). I was a bit surprised he didn’t figure in the 3km run or the beep test as from watching him he seems to have a pretty good tank and he covers a lot of ground in games. As mentioned the other big positive with Hill is the penetration on his kicking. He is a danger to score from 55 or 60 metres out and is at his best when he can just blast away on the run. Okay now for the downside – in my notes I had down that he runs like a chicken with its head cut off. He has an awkward running style and when he is forced to slow down and consider his options he can be indecisive to an almost comical extent as was seen at Champs. He does not seem to have great vision, his decision making is not good and his skills are a match. On short and middle distance kicks he misses targets too much for my liking. He is very light at the moment and has the kind of light frame that indicates he might have trouble bulking up too much. His best position at AFL level is likely to be off the HBF but he is too light to be considered there anytime shortly. Also despite the fact that he covers as much ground as anyone at the Champs he did not rack up the possessions. If you don’t get that much of the ball at junior level I don’t expect that to change when you play against elite company in the AFL. In fairness to him though he was given some run with roles at the Champs which he did okay although he is not really a close checking kind of tagger. Despite his pace he seems not to be a big chase and tackle kind of player. Despite all the negatives he has improved enormously this year and if he can continue to do that I could easily be eating my words this time next year. He certainly has some good physical tools and the games I have seen might not be a fair representation of his potential and where he is at. As I mentioned at the start there are plenty of WA guys who see him all the time who really rate him.
Lynch takes a mark on Hill

Selection 13
St Kilda
Stephen Hill – 182cm/72kg’s - Medium midfielder

Very quick with not only elite pace, agility but also endurance. Accountable & hard at the ball with a long & damaging left foot kick, will be well suited to Ross Lyons game plan.

The best game I have seen him play was the first game against NSW/ACT at Subi, he was good but I didn't have him in my best acording to my match notes.

I would probably say 'popular opinion sugests top 30 but could demand an earlier pick if teams are keen'

I see the opposite in games with Hill, seems to lack any real power in the body and tries to use pace and the gangly legs to get around traffic.

Goes in hard but it's a fair bit of velvet sledgehammer stuff with him

I have seen him 6 times this year (3 U18's & 3 WAFL) so I like to think I make a fair judgment on him and not base it off a 3 minute highlights tape.

I see a fair bit of Shane Edwards & Tim Houlihan in Hill, covers an unbelievable amount of ground yet doesn't win much of the ball, goes in hard but is fairly unproductive 'inside' since he lacks natural power in his game. I have seen him kick 60m with resonable ease but his kicks lack that power that actually hurts the opposition - Rich/Hodge/Dew/Hurn/Goddard/Gilbee ect have that real power behind the long kicks that teams absolutely fear. Hill kicking 60m to me is similar to Rosa or Mackie kicking 60m - it takes so long to get to the next player that opposition defenders can read it in the air quick enough for it to not have an impact.

Compare Hill to a Selwood or Masten who cover a similar amount of ground and they will have 40 touches, Hill would probably be lucky to get 20 touches.

The best game I have seen him play was the first game against NSW/ACT at Subi, he was good but I didn't have him in my best acording to my match notes.

I would probably say 'popular opinion sugests top 30 but could demand an earlier pick if teams are keen'
irel on Hill

There is a lot of poo-poohing of Freo considering Hill at number 3 by the BF master recruiters. I am aware that West Coast, Essendon and Port having very strong interest in Hill. In this strong draft Hill probably has the most upside in terms of development. Personally I like Hill. IMO, he will become a lethal weapon in a team with a reasonably good midfield that is able to feed the ball to him. Unlike Dalziel, Hill's possessions will be damaging. His "assists" statistics will be in the top end bracket. He will become what we currently don't have. A game breaker with excellent foot skills and vision that is at least a second ahead of his opponents. He is also athletically naturally gifted and with a couple of pre-seasons will have the potential to become a major force in the team. You will notice I am talking mostly about the future and not the NOW. Most people when they view Hill they see him in the current environment.

This is the reason I believe that he may not be associated with Brisbane. Because there is a belief that we have a window of opportunity for a premiership we need to fill the gaps with players that can fill an immediate gap and make pretty much an instant impression. Therefore the three players associated with Brisbane have been, Yarran, Ziebel and Swift. However if Voss opts to take Davis in the PSD and Cuz as well, than I would absolutely think that Voss would want Hill at Brisbane to compliment the midfield.

Is he a No. 7 draft pick. Some place higher value on him.
Do I like him to be picked at 7. Not unless these Yarran, Swift and Vickery have already gone. In that order.

Colin Wisbey profile: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528939

Stephen Hill (West Perth)

184/69 mid-age left foot mid /itility.

*STYLE LIKE: 184cm Bateman?

*MY RANKING (not meant to reflect appropriate draft pick to use): 4

Earliest pick I'd be prepared to use (if necessary): 4.

*PROBABILITY OF AFL CAREER: Definite. Ready year 1.

- Within an AFL team list, could prove capable of SUSTAINING a ranking of 3-5.

*HURT FACTORS (Offensive/Defensive/Negative): MH / MH / L

*TRADEMARK:

- Deftly vacuum the ball at pace then show good vision to spot up a target at 45 degrees with a deft left foot pass without breaking stride.
- Strip the ball from congestion or from an opponent, then a nearby team-mate finishes up with the pill in the blink of an eye without you even seeing Hill get rid of it.

*MAIN SELLING POINTS:

- Clean
- Quick (deft) hands
- Versatility / all-round package
- Read the play
- Pace
- Mental toughness / Embracing challenges
- Disposal

*MAIN QUERY:

- Nothing significant.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- Slim 184cm mid / flanker. I'm sold. He's been in my top 4 all year since May and I've seen no reason to slip him out. Great package. No significant flaws, minimal errors. Quick, smart. Covers ground. Excellent ethic. Adept overhead. Excellent linker, creates yet restricts. Excellent timing of his attack. Elite reader of both play and ball. Nearly elite user - hand or foot. No challenge too big.

- I compared his style with Bateman because I struggled to come up with a better name. Someone who can vacuum the ball off the carpet and then carry it at pace. Someone who can feed off in the blink of an eye. Someone who is quick yet as comfortable inside as outside. Someone who is more than comfortable (and very adept) in a run-with role yet gets plenty of his own ball in doing so. Someone who works just as hard defensively as offensively. Someone who has footy smarts yet doesn't just sing his own lyrics. Someone who uses the ball very well and rarely stuffs up. Someone who is not a big body yet is a very effective tackler / stripper, even from the front.

Wells and McLeod were the other comparison I tossed up with. (I'm comparing styles, not predicting Hill will be the next McLeod). In the end, I went with Bateman but Hill has some similarities with various aspects of all 3.

- "No challenge too big":
Excellent run-with performances on Hartlett and Scully in '08 Champs yet still got plenty himself. Also blanketed Rich in WAFL Seniors 2nd semi-final '08 (albeit without getting much ball himself either on that occasion). They are terrific scalps but what makes his performances this year especially noteworthy is that it is his first year in the "big" system. came into this with no U16 Champs experience, no WAFL Seniors experience, no U18 Champs experience yet he has rising from Colts early in the year, straight into Seniors and took to that like a duck to water and, in between, earned All Aus honours at the U18 Champs, claiming a couple of big scalps yet getting not much less ball than his highly-touted team-mate Rich and using it better. It doesn't seem to matter what challenges are put in front of him, he just devours them. The on-field professional way he goes about his game would be a credit to anyone but especially a kid in his first year in the "big" system.

I had him in my top 4 even when he was still playing Colts and trials. The more I've seen of him, the keener I've become. I estimated his upside as "(sustaining top) 3-5 on an AFL list", on the basis that that's a decent ask for any player, Hill has yet to collect much more than 20d (and they were at Colts level), and sustaining "top 1-2" is rarefied company occupied by the likes of Buckley, Voss, Judd, Hodge, Ablett etc. I don't expect that he will reach the "sustained 1-2" status but, given his outstanding achievements this year and his unqualified success in conquering all challenges put before him, I would not be all that surprised if he did reach "1-2" status.

- I would certainly draft him myself and be prepared to part with a pick as early as my ranking number if necessary. My guess is that he'll go around latish first round. I may not put my last dollar on him to win a Brownlow but I would put it on him as virtually a "sure bet" to be a very good, very reliable and very versatile AFL long-termer.

Oh, I finished the summary without using the word "deft". I can't leave that word out.

*DISPOSAL:
(see above)

- Almost elite reliability. "Credited" with 6 clangers out of 42 kicks in '08 Champs but I've rarely seen him do a clanger kick elsewhere.

- My only query with Steven's game at this stage is that he plays a fairly short game. He has shown he is capable of reasonable depth (at least on occasions) yet he very predominantly kicks shortish and often even feeds shortish. He's not a "chipper around with no nett benefit" type - he's often creative - but I would like to see him try a bit more frequently for kicks that have potentially higher hurt factor, even if that increases his error rate a bit.

- Not currently a noted goalkicker but rarely ventures that close to goals. Seems reliable when he does though, including .

- Nice economical kicking style.

- Healthy mix of kicks to feeds.

- Misses with the occasional handball bit is usually very reliable. Handballs often have good hurt factor and have appropriate power. And if you think you've seen quick hands before, quite a few of Hill's feeds are of the "How'd that other guy finish up with the pill?" slight-of-hand slickness.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:
(see above)

- Excellent anticipation. Reads both play and ball very well. Positions at, or runs, to the right spots with the right timing. In particular, reads (and collects) the spill extremely well.

- Excellent sharp traffic management.

- His judgement in a run-with role is terrific. He doesn't usually tag in the traditional "never leave opponent's side" manner per se. He keeps within range wherever his opponent goes but backs his own judgement and is very judicious re when to get close and when to back himself. When he ran with Hartlett, Hill had 16d and Hartlett 11d but 5 of Hartlett's disposals came in Q4, 2 of them in the same play. And Hill was on Hartlett all game. Late Q2, SA even started tagging / blocking Hill with Speight/Thompson at centre bounces to try to free up Hartlett yet Hartlett only had 6d to ¾ time.

*HANDS:
(see above)

- Reliably clean, all levels, all situations. "Deft" and "vacuum" are 2 words that spring to mind.

*OVERHEAD MARKING:
(see above)

- Good overhead for his size. Can mark from front or behind and has good hands. Capable of the occasional screamer. Doesn't always attack the mark when I'd like him to though. (Usually does but not on some occasions).

*ATHLETICISM:
(see above)

- Excellent pace and acceleration. Almost lightning.

- Endurance seems good. Covers a lot of ground. Runs and runs.

- Excellent reflexes.

- Lacks some strength (which will change once he's not so slim) but his tackling is surprisingly effective (in virtually a deft "stripping" manner rather than rugby-style).

- Big leap.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:
(see above)

- Has all this section well and truly covered, including desperation, hard running, chasing, tackling, spoiling, 2nd and 3rd efforts, attack on man and ball. Shown courage on occasions.

- Disciplined team player.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Highly consistent, quarter by quarter, game by game and regardless of what roles on the day.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- One of his strengths. Has the attributes to do a professional job in any flank or any midfield type of role. He is very well suited to "wing" but he kept showing us new strings to his bow during this his first exposed season "in the big leagues". Because of that, I'm reluctant to guess what sort of role he will end up specialising in but I suspect he will become one of those players who might play 5 different roles in 3 weeks as his coach tries to expose opposition weaknesses or curtail opposition stars or plug holes or provide run.

*CSI (COMPARATIVE SCOPE for IMPROVEMENT):

- On balance, "normal" in that he has now played WAFL Seniors and U18 Champs and is virtually top-age (but for 1 day). Perhaps "Normal" is a bit unfair as this is his first year in "the big league. Regardless of special factors, this kid just keeps on embracing the next challenge and the next and the next so I *suspect* he does still have plenty of improvement to come (especially physical development).

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '08 WA :
Averaged 16 disposals in 14 local games. Total goals 5-2 .
12 kicks per 20 disposals.
At least: 20 disposals in 4 games.
- Mid-way trend ... % change in disposals was -40%.

- Stats summary '08 U18 Champs:
Averaged 13 disposals and 3.0 marks in his 5 games. (Best TD 16). (Tot TOG 0%).
Averaged 13 kicks per 20 disposals.
Kicks long vs short: 8-23 (3 long per 10 kicks).
Ineffective kicks: 11/42 (2.6 per 10 kicks), incl 6 clangers (1.4 per 10 kicks).
Ineff handballs: 4/25 (1.6 per 10 handballs), incl 1 clangers (0.4/10 hb).
Ineffective disposals: 15/67 (4.5 per 20 disp), incl 7 clangers (2.1 per 20 disp).
HandBall Receives: 20/67 (6.0 per 20 disp). Uncontested marks: 10/67 (3.0 per 20 disp). HR+UM: 30/67 (9.0 per 20 disp).
Contested marks: 5 (1.5 per 20 disp).
Hardball gets: 8/67 (2.4 per 20 disp).
SP Clears: 7/67 (2.1 per 20 disp), incl 2 CBC (0.6/20 disp) and 3 other BU (0.9/20 disp).
Tackles: 12 (Avg 2.4 per game).

*OTHER STUFF:

- All Aust TY.

2008 WAFL stats: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...186998135&pname=Stephen Hill&news_task=DETAIL

2008 U-18 Championships Stats: http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...S&pID=188981407&client=1-4824-0-72735-8896973

2008 DC Results
183.7cm (30%)
68.9kg (4%)
43.2mm S7 skinfolds (83%)
22.0cm handspan (31%)
84.8cm arm length (72%)
72cm standing VJ (95%)
84cm running VJ RF (96%)
93cm running VJ LF (98%)
1.00 5m (96%) 1.66s 10m (98%) 2.83s (96%)
7.77s agility (100%) *All-time DC Record*
Level 13 Shuttle 12 Beep test (75%)
25.44s repeat sprint (88%)
11.01 3km (75%)

183.7cm (30%)
68.9kg (4%)
43.2mm S7 skinfolds (83%)
22.0cm handspan (31%)
84.8cm arm length (72%)
72cm standing VJ (95%)
84cm running VJ RF (96%)
93cm running VJ LF (98%)
1.00 5m (96%) 1.66s 10m (98%) 2.83s (96%)
7.77s agility (100%) *All-time DC Record*
Level 13 Shuttle 12 Beep test (75%)
25.44s repeat sprint (88%)
11.01 3km (75%)

Just wanted to highlight the discrepency between arm length and height. This kid will likely grow 1-3 inches taller over the next 18 months.

Out of all of that text on Hill I liked what Todd Curley had to say the best:

"I had a few chats to him, because he has held back a bit at times, and all I said was, 'We're backing you in here, I want you to play with the same mindset that you did in the under-18s'.
"And he did that. He had some big roles. He played on some good players and he just seemed to do it and love doing it . . . he's a super-quiet kid but he's always got a smile on his face and he's fiercely determined, he really is. It's very rare that he gets beaten, those second and third efforts come like an instinct to him.
"He's probably just one where you've got to continually remind him what he's good at, to tell to take things on, because he's got that real team mindset. But he's got all the tools. As his confidence grows, I think he'll learn to take the game on more and more." Hill is still quiet, and shy, although Curley did not sense any discomfort in him when he sat by his bigger, older teammates in team meetings, or darted between them on the training track.
"He's not a massive extrovert, but he won our guys over pretty quickly," he said.
"He leads in other ways; it's like whenever you need him, he's there for you.
"We had him play run-with roles, in attacking roles, even centre-bounce stuff in the finals. When we thought we really needed to win the game, he was the one we threw in there. I think he's most comfortable when the game's up and running."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back