Number 32 - Stephen Hill (pick 3 2008 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Stephen Hill

IMO Rich is the next Hodge will be average for a few years before begining to dominate, i have a feeling Hill could be another tambling

:eek:

Actually Yarran is the most likely to end up the next tambling.... they both have identical draft wraps on them...

"Possibly the most talented, questions over work ethic and endurance"

Pinkus your right, if Rich was the next hodge he would be picked at 3.

For starters Hodge was showing the kind of mongrel and hunger in his teens, much in the same way Hill is said to...?

Hill has a raking left foot, agility, passion, but more importantly he realised last year he had to work harder so he did. I think Rich's downfall has come from success over a year ago and coasting ever since...

People are under a cloud of a little illusion here. The true great players have more than one weapon...

Freo - Hill, Mckernan, Robinson, Jetta, Pearce...Come on!

The way I see it, FWIW, is that if your players are second to the ball at most disputed contests, you need either better disposal or faster players. Good disposal can become wayward under pressure, but faster players stay fast because they're the ones that create the pressure.

Im happy to back the recruiting staff in with whoever they pick at 3, Hill, Rich or Hartlett...(Harlett would be my choice)

Im really hoping that Mitch Robinson is available at 21 or 24...iv seen this kid live a couple of time and he has the ball on a string...kicking could be improved, but at 190 he would be a nice fit into our younger brigade of midfielders...he can also rest foward and cause problems

and if we find someone from pick 40 onward who ends up showing as much as chris mayne, well you will get no complaits from me

:eek:

Actually Yarran is the most likely to end up the next tambling.... they both have identical draft wraps on them...

"Possibly the most talented, questions over work ethic and endurance"

Pinkus your right, if Rich was the next hodge he would be picked at 3.

For starters Hodge was showing the kind of mongrel and hunger in his teens, much in the same way Hill is said to...?

Hill has a raking left foot, agility, passion, but more importantly he realised last year he had to work harder so he did. I think Rich's downfall has come from success over a year ago and coasting ever since...

People are under a cloud of a little illusion here. The true great players have more than one weapon...

Freo - Hill, Mckernan, Robinson, Jetta, Pearce...Come on!

FacePalm_picard.jpg

that profile gives me zero confidence in hill, i have stated many a time that it will be a mistake to pick him up..... the "rich man's jarred oakley-nicholls" concerns me, because if hill plays anything like that dud, then we dont want him..... the "at worst a good stopper" concerns me because we need attacking ball winning, clearance players.... not another tagger and the "unsure as to whether he can become an effective AFL standard midfielder" worries me because, i thought the best part about us having pick three and with watts and naita going 1&2 was that we would be able to pick up the best young midfielder in the country, which according to this profile, hill is not....

im begging you freo please... PLEASE!!!..... pick up either rich, hartlett or ziebell..... there is no other option

im begging you freo please... PLEASE!!!..... pick up either rich, hartlett or ziebell..... there is no other option

For God's sake, how about having faith in our recruiters? Compared to them, you know absolutely nothing about any of the players in the draft.

If we take Hill over Rich, there will be a very good reason.

that profile gives me zero confidence in hill, i have stated many a time that it will be a mistake to pick him up..... the "rich man's jarred oakley-nicholls" concerns me, because if hill plays anything like that dud, then we dont want him..... the "at worst a good stopper" concerns me because we need attacking ball winning, clearance players.... not another tagger and the "unsure as to whether he can become an effective AFL standard midfielder" worries me because, i thought the best part about us having pick three and with watts and naita going 1&2 was that we would be able to pick up the best young midfielder in the country, which according to this profile, hill is not....

Looking at most of his comparisons they seem to be more based on the players movement style much more than what he thinks they will produce (he also said it was hard to find a good player comparison for Hill, which is very true). It's lots of fun to make the player comparisons, but at the end of the day each player has a very unique set of variables that will determine how far they go, even if they do appear on the outside to be very similar to someone else in playing style. Heck I've heard Josh Pullman from Swan Districts compared to Jonathan Brown (if you watch them both move there's a definite resemblance in their movement, but when you compare production the comparison ends very quickly). Always take these types of things with a grain of salt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For God's sake, how about having faith in our recruiters? Compared to them, you know absolutely nothing about any of the players in the draft.

If we take Hill over Rich, there will be a very good reason.

ok then, fair call, i have said my piece on the subject, if we select hill and he turns into mcleod, i will be stoked and will eat my words, if however he turns into JON, i will be dirtier than most..... i do stick by my post that i hope we chose one of rich hartlett or ziebell though.... anyway... bring on the draft, after all these threads about hill and rich etc, i actually think the most intriguing selections will be from pick 37 onwards :thumbsu: does anyone else think that moody will be selected with our last pick in the national draft?

FacePalm_picard.jpg

Well we are waiting for a reason for you to disagree troll?

If you read what i was responding to you will see my point. Or do you need an audio read-out?

Hill next tambling, no. Yarran the next tambling, most likely out of them all because both had identical pre draft wraps on them...

FacePalm_picard.jpg

Well we are waiting for a reason for you to disagree troll?

If you read what i was responding to you will see my point. Or do you need an audio read-out?

Hill next tambling, no. Yarran the next tambling, most likely out of them all because both had identical pre draft wraps on them...

By that logic, Rioli Jnr is also the next Tambling, because he had the same wraps on him?

Or even to take this point further:

"XXXX Perth youngster with super speed, decent height, plays a few good team efforts at senior level, displaying speed and dash, as well as good long kicking and a desire to get to every contest. They however skinny and raw...."

Is that Hill? Or was that Oakley Nicholls?

With regard to Hill, the only thing that we can be certain of at this point in time, is that he is going to be the next Hill.:p

ok then, fair call, i have said my piece on the subject, if we select hill and he turns into mcleod, i will be stoked and will eat my words, if however he turns into JON, i will be dirtier than most..... i do stick by my post that i hope we chose one of rich hartlett or ziebell though....

That's fair enough FE. :thumbsu:

Hill wasn't at the airport Today which suggests he's been told that we're definately going to pick him. If there was any uncertainty I'd say he would have flown east to meet the hierarchy from his new club.

Plenty of young mids also start out as taggers allowing their more senior opponent to lead them to the footy and teach them where to run. I reckon that will be Hills role early, playing on the quicker midfielders but with Crowley still taking the oppositions number one.

Hill wasn't at the airport Today which suggests he's been told that we're definately going to pick him. If there was any uncertainty I'd say he would have flown east to meet the hierarchy from his new club.

Not necessarily. Naitanui was flying out also. I think they just invite a certain number of "high profile certainties" to head over to TD to sit in that room with their families so they can show the reactions on the news... There'll be a local station's news camera at Hill's house, no doubt.

Being a West Perth supporter I cant really lose if we draft Hill however I would like to raise a couple of points:

1.Hill has developed exponentially this year - will his development continue at such a rate?
2.Hill predominantly played as a HBF, with stints on the wing for West and therefore I personally do not consider him a midfielder.
3.Although playing well at WAFL: level in 8 games, because of his mainly defensive roles he did not collate a large number of possessions - again further reason to believe he is not a genuine midfielder.

Fremantle have repeatedly stated they need midfielders - I hope for both Freo and Hilly we get it right.

Not necessarily. Naitanui was flying out also. I think they just invite a certain number of "high profile certainties" to head over to TD to sit in that room with their families so they can show the reactions on the news... There'll be a local station's news camera at Hill's house, no doubt.

Probably because the big Fijian is still in the mix at Melbourne.

Being a West Perth supporter I cant really lose if we draft Hill however I would like to raise a couple of points:

1.Hill has developed exponentially this year - will his development continue at such a rate?
2.Hill predominantly played as a HBF, with stints on the wing for West and therefore I personally do not consider him a midfielder.
3.Although playing well at WAFL: level in 8 games, because of his mainly defensive roles he did not collate a large number of possessions - again further reason to believe he is not a genuine midfielder.

Fremantle have repeatedly stated they need midfielders - I hope for both Freo and Hilly we get it right.

Just because he didn't play a mid role as a skinny 18 year old doesn't mean he wont play a mid role when he is 21.

Its exciting for the club if we do pick him. He's unique having pace and endurance with good skills. I'm not sure we've had a player similar to him in the past.

He's so raw, i can see the coaching staff coupled with the fitness staff licking their lips.

They'll literally be able to mould their own footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back