Number 8 - Nick Suban (pick 24 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Number TBA - Nick Suban (pick 24 2008)

180.2cm (10%)
83.2kg (59%)
92.6mm S7 skinfolds (0%)
20.1cm handspan(6%)
Arm length 82.7cm (46%)
Standing VJ 65cm (79%)
Right running jump 76cm (74%)
Left running jump 84cm (79%)
1.13s 5m (30%) 1.84s 10m (37%) 3.04s 20m (52%)
8.25s agility (94%)
Level 13 shuttle 1 beep test (33%)
26.05s repeat sprint (63%)
11:27 3km (45%)

A few interesting points from the above info.

Comparing his height to his arm length would suggest the lad has some growing left in him. Will probably grow a few centimetres in height in the next year or so.

Quite poor in the skinfolds. It was mentioned on SEN during the draft. Attributed to the fact he was a border and typically their diet isn't upto scratch and they often present with poor skinfolds. Despite that still tested reasonably in the 3km trial.

Elite agility despite carrying the extra weight. Average pace which you could imagine might be improved by becoming a little leaner.

Decent spring as well.

Very happy with the club picking this guy up at 24. A nice contrast to the weedy Hill.

Yep, it's very encouraging that he tested well in quite a few areas the condition he was ... wouldn't be surprised if he's running sub 3s 20m, 70cm VJ, high 13 beep test and low 11 min 3km after after a pre-season or two. Interesting that our U-18 recruits seem to either have 'a bit more to love' (Suban, Bucovaz and Walters) or are ridiculously skinny ATM (Hill, Hall, Ruffles, Clarke) ... no middle ground with them.

Also has a very impressive football CV ... 2 x AA U-18 player (Back pocket), VC U-18 MVP 2007 and 2 x TAC Cup TOTY (Rover and Interchange).

I used play with his brother Mike, you will be stoked with this guy he has the left foot of Josh Drummond but he also has a 50m kick on his right one. Can read the play really well and also is a very good leader. He trains as hard as he can (he tries to base his game off Harvey) also will never give up. Will be a gun for you guys if you play him in the right possies. eg. wing, centre and hbf/bp. Can also shut down a Rioli while getting 20 possies himself.

Attributed to the fact he was a border...

That's a positive. Kids who've already lived away from home at boarding school are less likely to have homesickness problems I reckon.

I think it was Hinkley last year who said homesickness wouldn't be an issue for him because he was already used to to living away from home at boarding school.

Out of interest, where are you guys scoring the DC results from?

I dont want them, just curious because not meant to be for public consumption. Rgauci obviously knows people in his places ;)

Wow! My whole year was just 'made' last night, as i stayed at a friends house (i've known for 11 years) and our conversation went something like;

Friend: 'Ooo a relative of mine got drafted'
Me: 'Really.... drafted to what?'
'Fremantle!'
'No way really!!! wait... what suburb is he from?
'umm... Bacchus Marsh'
'SUBAN!!! NO WAY!!! HOW???'
'He's my 2nd Cousin, My uncles Nephew'
'HAHA! THATS AWESOME!...... You so have to hook me up and get something'

Anyway thats the main part so my friend of 11 years is related to Nick! thats so awesome! and now she is a convert and going to come to all the Freo games in Melb with me!! :D (she didn't really follow footy before this)

1st of new guys likely to play (not unexpected) per Haselby interview , and +ve comments re his ball winning ability

1st of new guys likely to play (not unexpected) per Haselby interview , and +ve comments re his ball winning ability

That's fair enough too.

Boy Named Su brings a fair bit to the table in terms of what we need. Another small in the backline with excellent disposal, and the ability to move into the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey dude its not possible that your friend is related to Nick, we dont have any second cousins in Australia. Unless there is Chris, Jules, Renee, Adam or Luke - they aint cousins cause we are the only ones might be telling porkies your mate!!!

Wow! My whole year was just 'made' last night, as i stayed at a friends house (i've known for 11 years) and our conversation went something like;

Friend: 'Ooo a relative of mine got drafted'
Me: 'Really.... drafted to what?'
'Fremantle!'
'No way really!!! wait... what suburb is he from?
'umm... Bacchus Marsh'
'SUBAN!!! NO WAY!!! HOW???'
'He's my 2nd Cousin, My uncles Nephew'
'HAHA! THATS AWESOME!...... You so have to hook me up and get something'

Anyway thats the main part so my friend of 11 years is related to Nick! thats so awesome! and now she is a convert and going to come to all the Freo games in Melb with me!! (she didn't really follow footy before this)

i actually go for st kilda but i played with and against nick for years he captained us in interleague he will be a star i remember playin on him in under 12's and i knew he'd play afl

Hey dude its not possible that your friend is related to Nick, we dont have any second cousins in Australia. Unless there is Chris, Jules, Renee, Adam or Luke - they aint cousins cause we are the only ones might be telling porkies your mate!!!

Well the friend's last name is Hellmann and its relation through marrige i think, i'll ask again and get names :) i have no reason to make this up so bare with me :)

Followed this kid in the NAB under 18 championships and he is an absolute gun.
Anyone think he has a chance of playing alot next year?

I don't think it's a case of taking anyones spot, more with players like Dodd and Mundy going into the midfield rotation Suban will slot into the back half as someone that can kick a long accurate ball. The modern half back. I expect him to get a chance early in the season, maybe even Rd 1 and if he plays as well as he's been training he'll be a regular.

I don't think it's a case of taking anyones spot, more with players like Dodd and Mundy going into the midfield rotation Suban will slot into the back half as someone that can kick a long accurate ball. The modern half back. I expect him to get a chance early in the season, maybe even Rd 1 and if he plays as well as he's been training he'll be a regular.
Thanks for the prompt response. I like what I am hearing about this kid.

No probs I like what I hear too. Before the WAFL draft one of the Assistant Coaches was heard telling the Souths coach not to get too excited if they got Suban as he is not expected to play in the 2's much this year. The overall impression I've gleaned through these boards and one of my clients who is a bit close to the action than the general public is that he is rated as a cool headed, mature young player with an excellent kick and a good footy brain. A nice young man to boot apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back