O and M 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't he traveling from Adelaide at weekends? Considering that its a 10 hour drive each way and at least 6 hours each way via plane/train - I can understand why he'd be so keen to get away after games.:eek:

All at panther land understood the need for Billy to head home after a game due to the travel. However on one occasion he was said to be heading home and ended up out at howlong on the sauce with the spider boys and almo and then in at paddy's later on, where he bumped into some team mates. That p!ssed a few of the boys off!

Is there too much money in footy these days? like how much would Yarra and Albury paying a week, 15k? jus to put 21 players on the paddock, thats not including 2nds... i respect Lavington, North, Wangaratta for not spending ridiculous amounts to players (that i know of could be wrong) i understand your Pendergasts and Leslies would be on a fair wack of coin to keep them at clubs.. With the Hume league offering so much i understand that u do have to up the anti, but also is there any loyalty in footy anymore? Sad that people perfer to play for money then premierships these days!

How many clubs will even be able to afford to keep a reserves side on the park in 3-4 years? Basically anyone at Corowa who's any good but doesn't get a game is soon snapped up by Wahgunyah, Rutherglen or CDHBU, same goes for North Albury, one of their guys was a permanent 2's player who switched to the Hume league with his mate for $200 plus a game. Word going around was the Roos were considering alinging their 2's with CDHBU as both clubs basically have only 30 committed players and the Hume is a better standard than O and M 2's.:confused::confused::confused:

Unless clubs can pay some of their reserves more than a couple of bucks like Albury has in recent years, players will continue to head to the bush for a couple of hundred a game. You cant blame some of the players for heading out there, and it will keep happening as long as some hume league clubs continue to throw around more coin than some of the o and m clubs. 2 questions:
1. What measures can be put in place in order for ovens and murray clubs to retain a full list of players? and
2. What has happened to young footballers wanting to play at the highest level they can, rather than chasing the big bucks and thinking they are king s&%t for doing so.

It used to be a privlidge to play o and m seniors, and you had to work to get there. Now you have young blokes that are getting a game purely because the standard has dropped (with quality talent leaving the league to chase coin) walking around like they are an AFL superstar thinking they no longer have to work hard. The culture around the league has changed drastically in the past 10 years, and what sort of shape is the league going to be in down the track if it continues.

So... the little master Craig Ednie is back.

Yarra now flag favourites?

good call? bad call?

My prediction is this...(remembering i have been wrong once before) Craig to turn the place on it's head firming Yarrawonga into short priced favorites by starring in their victory over Albury before doing a soft tissue injury ruling him out until late in the finals series where he returns and reinjures himself.This then allows every coach in the land to continue the message of a strong pre-season or a starring role by the champ will have players turning up the week of Game 1 in 2012:eek::eek:So this is all our chances to get rich by backing Albury as they are wound out to $4.Happy days!

Unless clubs can pay some of their reserves more than a couple of bucks like Albury has in recent years, players will continue to head to the bush for a couple of hundred a game. You cant blame some of the players for heading out there, and it will keep happening as long as some hume league clubs continue to throw around more coin than some of the o and m clubs. 2 questions:
1. What measures can be put in place in order for ovens and murray clubs to retain a full list of players? and
2. What has happened to young footballers wanting to play at the highest level they can, rather than chasing the big bucks and thinking they are king s&%t for doing so.

It used to be a privlidge to play o and m seniors, and you had to work to get there. Now you have young blokes that are getting a game purely because the standard has dropped (with quality talent leaving the league to chase coin) walking around like they are an AFL superstar thinking they no longer have to work hard. The culture around the league has changed drastically in the past 10 years, and what sort of shape is the league going to be in down the track if it continues.

Greg, you are spot on. From experience , i played my first o and m senior game when i was 17 and still at school.This was a huge achievement for me and I was so thrilled to be playing with and against some great players in the league'; for me so exciting.Without going into my career, I PLAYED SOME 15 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE from 1978 to 1993 and i never thought of going to play in the minor leagues where I recieved many offers with good bucks. For me, to play Ovens and Murray was the pinnacle.

Fair call Gregg The Egg . You just have to watch a game and see how low the crowds are these days. The standard is dropping away real quick. Also the O& M don't get the big ex AFL players like they used to .GV is closer to Melbourne and they have more cash. I would prefer to drive out of town and watch a lesser league which can have a better standard some weeks. These young blokes who play 2's would get eaten alive by players 10 years on the feild and off. They have some big ego's and there team is on the bottom. In the end what can the O&M do ??? You need big cash to get big name players !!!!

Ballarat is the sleeping giant (hardly sleeping) in Country footy now.

Close to Melbourne, plenty of cash and a high VCFL ranking.

They are, and will continue to get, the best of the Melbourne travellers IMO.

Something needs to be done up here, the standard is falling away (and fast).

What the answer is... who knows?

scrap the ressies comp?

a points system?

Unfortunately, money seems to be the answer to all of footy's problems these days.

I will say that people haven't treated inter-league with the respect it deserves either.

I think a lot of players and supporters up here underate how important VCFL rankings are... A lot of good players seriously look at where the league is rated before deciding where to play.

We all like to stick our head in the sand and think the O&M is still number 1 in the state (I confess to being one of those people) but the reality is.. it isn't.

Fair call Gregg The Egg . You just have to watch a game and see how low the crowds are these days. The standard is dropping away real quick. Also the O& M don't get the big ex AFL players like they used to .GV is closer to Melbourne and they have more cash. I would prefer to drive out of town and watch a lesser league which can have a better standard some weeks. These young blokes who play 2's would get eaten alive by players 10 years on the feild and off. They have some big ego's and there team is on the bottom. In the end what can the O&M do ??? You need big cash to get big name players !!!!
Dont know how big your crowds generally are but i have seen 3 games of OMF this year these being the first OM games i have seen (including Lavi V Yarra which was two top three sides competing) and can tell you that home and away games in North Central footy between towns of between 800/1500 in population the crowds are bigger than the 3 OMFL games i have witnessed. Although crowds were disappointing I can tell you that the Lavi/Yarra game I saw was of equal quality of games i have seen in Bendigo and Ballarat this year.

Ballarat is the sleeping giant (hardly sleeping) in Country footy now.

Close to Melbourne, plenty of cash and a high VCFL ranking.

They are, and will continue to get, the best of the Melbourne travellers IMO.

Something needs to be done up here, the standard is falling away (and fast).

What the answer is... who knows?

scrap the ressies comp?

a points system?

Unfortunately, money seems to be the answer to all of footy's problems these days.

I will say that people haven't treated inter-league with the respect it deserves either.

I think a lot of players and supporters up here underate how important VCFL rankings are... A lot of good players seriously look at where the league is rated before deciding where to play.

We all like to stick our head in the sand and think the O&M is still number 1 in the state (I confess to being one of those people) but the reality is.. it isn't.

Big call stating people haven't treated interleague with the respect it deserves. I watched the OM play MPNFL down in Frankston and they were two points away from the 1 v 2 game. Stop being a drama queen bourky and had they won we all would be raving about the standard of the comp. My mail is Penda and his team left know stone unturned in their preparation. I hope the OM sticks with him for 2012. And yes agree they are not number 1, the OM is ranked 5.
Also while I am at it I may as well keep going. Point system. Interesting you are referring to Ballarat above as the sleeping Giant. A sleeping giant that trialled a points system and threw it out.:thumbsu:

Big call stating people haven't treated interleague with the respect it deserves. I watched the OM play MPNFL down in Frankston and they were two points away from the 1 v 2 game.

It was just about the best game of football I've ever seen and I should have made clear by "people", I didn't mean everyone.

It was more about the head in the sand type mentality where because of the league's previous reputation, certain people think it's just going to fall into place come inter-league time.

The O&M was once just about on a par with the state leagues.

What has happened?

20 years ago, the comp's best players would play two games in one weekend just so they could represent the league... say what you like, only a handful of players would do that now (and I'm stretching it by saying a handful)

I know the game has changed yada yada but something has fallen away over the years.

Stop being a drama queen bourky and had they won we all would be raving about the standard of the comp. My mail is Penda and his team left know stone unturned in their preparation.

Penda did a great job, but he can't make everyone play, can he?

Fact is, if the O&M had a full squad, they win.

Simple.

But they didn't.

I hope the OM sticks with him for 2012.

Already confirmed that they are.

Also while I am at it I may as well keep going. Point system. Interesting you are referring to Ballarat above as the sleeping Giant. A sleeping giant that trialled a points system and threw it out.:thumbsu:

Didn't say it was the way to go, just a topic of discussion (which this thread desperately needs)

I agree, the points system has plenty of flaws.

You seem quick to shoot down ideas, have you got any of your own?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was just about the best game of football I've ever seen and I should have made clear by "people", I didn't mean everyone.

It was more about the head in the sand type mentality where because of the league's previous reputation, certain people think it's just going to fall into place come inter-league time.

What has happened?

20 years ago, the comp's best players would play two games in one weekend just so they could represent the league... say what you like, only a handful of players would do that now (and I'm stretching it by saying a handful)

I know the game has changed yada yada but something has fallen away over the years.

Simple.

But they didn't.

Didn't say it was the way to go, just a topic of discussion (which this thread desperately needs)

For God's sake Bourkey-Get rid of the 1 week at a time.Not the girl's fault but she was right-No-one cares what is in her lunchbox.If you want to fill some paper space do an interview on these people as they are the same thing every week (insert differn't name).Understand and applaud the effort but it is a wank.:thumbsdown:

What has happened?

Simple.

But they didn't.

I follow the OM from a far and have only seen last years grand final and the interleague game. Viewing the two games alone, one could be forgiven for thinking things are travelling along well up north. Two of the best games of country football I have seen for a while.
On the points system I merely pointed out the correlation between Ballarat growing in strength and not having a points system. Why would the OM consider this if their goal is to get up the rankings? Why place a system in place that restricts recruitment? Also points systems do not stop the $$$ in country football.
You’ve reinvigorated the forum

Penda is a good bloke and footy player and this is no disrespect to the guy but it seems like the O&M have been giving the job to someone who has ambitions to coach and is doing it to bulk up their resume.. (Lambert, Jackson, Pendergast) Why dont they give the coaches of the O&M a chance to coach the rep side. Start at the Premiership coach of the yr before and if he is unavailable then ask the runners-up coach etc.. For players i think it would be a thrill to play under a premiership coach especially if they havent played under one before and for those whose coach it is you would think it would make it a lot harder to say no to play considering they play for him during the year. Thoughts?

Penda is a good bloke and footy player and this is no disrespect to the guy but it seems like the O&M have been giving the job to someone who has ambitions to coach and is doing it to bulk up their resume.. (Lambert, Jackson, Pendergast) Why dont they give the coaches of the O&M a chance to coach the rep side. Start at the Premiership coach of the yr before and if he is unavailable then ask the runners-up coach etc.. For players i think it would be a thrill to play under a premiership coach especially if they havent played under one before and for those whose coach it is you would think it would make it a lot harder to say no to play considering they play for him during the year. Thoughts?

Hitman, I will fill you in I what I know..Cant say much for Lambert cause I dont know.. Jackson took it on cause no one else wanted it.
The league offered it to Penda because he has an excellent report with all the players in the league and they know and respect him. This being said the idea was to get the best players on board cause possibly only he could have done this with the relationship he has with them. Did he have the best team available, probably not but went with it anyway. A few late withdrawals didn't help the team.
I also assure you coaching in the O & M is not on the cards for Penda for some time yet.

Originally Posted by Bourky23

On that logic, it would seem that you think the standard is not too bad.
Cake & eat it too, much?? :)

However, I'm constantly being told by past players that it has.

I remember B. Hollands on radio some weeks ago stating that is was certainly less physical (than when he was last in it) due to many teams having heaps of kids rather than mature bodies.

Nevertheless, times have changed and probably irrevocably - the pool of people prepared to work harder/longer for relatively poor money compared to what lesser comps will pay & expect is much smaller.

Their lives will reflect that choice.

Christ I hope I'm wrong.

For God's sake Bourkey-Get rid of the 1 week at a time.Not the girl's fault but she was right- No-one cares what is in her lunchbox.If you want to fill some paper space do an interview on these people as they are the same thing every week (insert differn't name).Understand and applaud the effort but it is a wank.:thumbsdown:

Could not agree more....what a disgrace!! And even the poor girl had to say "ground hog day" 5 times..... it's ground hog week at the border - print a rubbish article and embarrass the people while doing so. Not a bad thought on an interview style, ask a question and answer it - it may actually lead somewhere, cause no-one cares what time sub standard sports 'stars' wake up....

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

On a lighter note - is Yarra at the point where they are good value on the punt?? Albury still about $1.55 and Yarra at almost $4 I think with one Craig Ednie waltzing in and getting 20 quality touches....Big ground and big day and Keenan doesn't miss 5 sitters and Yarra are home for my cash?? Thoughts?

Expect to see the Doggies bring more of their former players back to the Kennel next season. Bloom and B.Hibberson (Holbrook) are likely to return, Fulford and Ohlin (Henty) are only 50/50 chances. Even if the Doggies can bring back their locals and not spend the world they are a chance for big improvement in 2012.

"Judd resigns with full support of playing group"

Bullshit!! Half of the club are pissed of with the coaching staff, Young gun Tyler Robinson quit last night, Murray bushrangers player Ryan Cobain quit earlier in the year and moved to Rovers, a few 2nds players have left and numerous people pulling the pin throughout pre season.
Even half of the under 18's dont want to player under the current coaches next year. Rumors that Jamie Allan wanted out at the start of the year aswell as at least another 5 players, plus all the problems in house that people arent aware of, the club is going down hill!! and have made the wrong decision with this one.

"Judd resigns with full support of playing group"

So, that would actually be right then from what you say - otherwise it would be "Judd re-signs with full support of playing group"

I read your post a couple of times before I twigged I'd not missed anything greatly controversial ( outside the Wang player group allegedly anyway).

once again the border mail and its right wing christian agenda is trying to convert us all to the good lord in the one week at a time article :D.
what is it with local sports people being hand clappers?
they have to bounce back this week with a young footy/rugby player who goes on a big saturday night, pulls one then kicks her out so he can get the boys around to have a sunday session:thumbsu:

once again the border mail and its right wing christian agenda is trying to convert us all to the good lord in the one week at a time article :D.
what is it with local sports people being hand clappers?
they have to bounce back this week with a young footy/rugby player who goes on a big saturday night, pulls one then kicks her out so he can get the boys around to have a sunday session:thumbsu:

Don't get me started.For God's sake(pardon the pun) get rid of this.It has turned my Wednesday's angry.Here's something for you Bourkey-rate the top 6 clubs similar to the Herald Sun into A;B and C graders spo we can find a premier between Albury and Yarrawonga;do reports on what club's need to fill to challenge in 2012.Do anything other than One wank at a time-it is like Star FM-the exact thing replicated with a differn't name.I get up at 6am;I eat soy beans for breakfast and egg plant for dinner-I read last weeks Interviewee and I am determined to be healthier and holier than them.

Is anyone going to comment on the elephant in the room?Not interested in why it was front page news-more so will Monday's front page derail the Tigers at all?I would imagine that his recruitment which caused internal angst may now be seen as a very short sighted one-or am i incorrect and are the Tigers to be applauded for giving a talented player another opportunity at this level? If he doesn't play footy again this year will it come back to bite them with players losing their spot moving elsewhere in 2012 as their loyalty didn't seem to be rewarded?Just trying to get something happening on here as it is an exciting time of year and we are pretty quite.Reckon the Hoppers will knock over the Panthers this week as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back