Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said I only remember Favell as a kid and it was more because of his involvement with South Australia and of cause in the 60,s on ABC radio cricket broadcasts.I presume he opened for Australia and before the Lawry,Simpson,Stackpole and Redpath era.

19 tests between 1954 and 1961. Given plenty of opportunities to establish himself, but ultimately was not good enough at the top level. Very similar arc to that of David Hookes.

19 tests between 1954 and 1961. Given plenty of opportunities to establish himself, but ultimately was not good enough at the top level. Very similar arc to that of David Hookes.
In terms of obscurity, also quite an obscure period of Aus cricket to play in. No big mythological figure like a Bradman to get people reading up on it, but also before living memory of most and little in the way of retrospective interviews/documentaries. (Perhaps why Chappelli feels the responsibility to crap on about it!!!)

No I agree he would be a bit obscure to most people. What makes him less obscure is that Ian Chappell thinks he was better than Bradman and loves dropping a story about 'my old captain Les Favell' every few seconds when he's commentating

Chappell is about as favourable towards Bradman as he is Steve Waugh, so not saying much.

The petulance for better or worse is about the only thing I find interesting about McGrath, he seems pretty devoid of character otherwise.

One of his diaries does reveal an unusual fascination for his own luggage that might impress some as being...intriguing.

Bradman was not the most popular person in SA that the public are led to believed.

Business ethics ?.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that Chappell didn't have legitimate gripes against Bradman RE disputes between players and the board, and I'm well aware that Bradman's personality split opinion, but Chappell's family have hated Bradman for a long time.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that Chappell didn't have legitimate gripes against Bradman RE disputes between players and the board, and I'm well aware that Bradman's personality split opinion, but Chappell's family have hated Bradman for a long time.

i think what most people have a gripe with Chappell about is the same reason people have a gripe with Warney re. Steve Waugh. Yes mate we know how you feel, you don't have to be pushing the agenda every time you speak.

The Chappell’s dispute would mostly stems from the Vic Richardson background. The pay dispute brought about by Ian & Lawry, would have been just icing on the cake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may have been mentioned in the previous mountain of posts... but Simon Dart. Whatever happened to him?
He was the next best thing along with Brad Hodge in Victorian Cricket.

Played cricket at Red Hill in the MPCA WHERE HES PLUNDERED RUNS FOR FUN.

Selfish, selfish cricketer but quite clearly a class above.

Famously said against my club “let’s beat these park cricketers” when we were even on points and ended up beating them in the round game.

Paid him $50,000 for 5 years straight.

Re - signed recently but has now taken up a job as international cricket coach with Japan cricket and has moved over there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradman is Exhibit A when talking about great sportsmen getting away with being sh*t blokes.

In 1930 after Bradman had scored 309* on day one of the Headingley test, ex-pat Aussie and soap magnate (yes, such a thing existed) Arthur Whitelaw gave him 1,000 pounds. This was an absolute fortune back then!

Have a guess how much of that Bradman shared with his teammates?

Zero. Zilch. Nada. He didn't even buy them a drink.

In 1930 after Bradman had scored 309* on day one of the Headingley test, ex-pat Aussie and soap magnate (yes, such a thing existed) Arthur Whitelaw gave him 1,000 pounds. This was an absolute fortune back then!

Have a guess how much of that Bradman shared with his teammates?

Zero. Zilch. Nada. He didn't even buy them a drink.

I believe such a thing as a soap magnate existed but not that one made his fortune in England ;)

That 2009 West Indies team when everyone went on strike would be great for this thread if anyone could remember them all.

I remember Floyd Reifer captaining them
A little late, but this is that West Indies squad to play Bangladesh:

Floyd Reifer (captain), Darren Sammy, Ryan Austin, Tino Best, David Bernard, Kraigg Brathwaite, Andre Creary, Travis Dowlin, Nikita Miller, Kevin McClean, Nelon Pascal, Omar Phillips, Dale Richards, Kemar Roach, Chadwick Walton.

A little late, but this is that West Indies squad to play Bangladesh:

Floyd Reifer (captain), Darren Sammy, Ryan Austin, Tino Best, David Bernard, Kraigg Brathwaite, Andre Creary, Travis Dowlin, Nikita Miller, Kevin McClean, Nelon Pascal, Omar Phillips, Dale Richards, Kemar Roach, Chadwick Walton.

Ridiculous that to this day that remains Nikita Miller's only Test exposure. 540 wickets at 16 in first class cricket. Yes spinners have had it easy in the WI domestic comp for a while but considering the chances given to players like Warrican, Bishoo (who was capable but very unreliable), Suelimann Benn etc, it's a travesty that he was never given more of a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back