Discussion Official 2021 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have Zerrett going at 120 odd this year. Just has so many avenues to his scoring

I'm actually the reverse on him, only because his biggest score in recent years came during a condensed season. He's such a 'burst' player that plays like 80% max game time, that his disposal wasn't affected at all due to the shorter quarters. With reduced interchanges and longer quarters, I can see those with a bigger tank - Walsh, Gaff, Lloyd, Grundy etc. being the ones who really benefit.

Zerrett is still a safe choice, but I don't see him being as good as last year - just personally.

Watch him now go 125 and get snouted, haha 😂

I'm actually the reverse on him, only because his biggest score in recent years came during a condensed season. He's such a 'burst' player that plays like 80% max game time, that his disposal wasn't affected at all due to the shorter quarters. With reduced interchanges and longer quarters, I can see those with a bigger tank - Walsh, Gaff, Lloyd, Grundy etc. being the ones who really benefit.

Zerrett is still a safe choice, but I don't see him being as good as last year - just personally.

Watch him now go 125 and get snouted, haha 😂
Ended the year going 125 when he got more CBAs and has averaged 115 three times. As reliable as any of the uber premiums imo. Not huge upside though. He's good to lock in a ~115 averaging captain and not stress all year.

Looking at the D5-D6 conundrum. At the moment it looks like the two reasonable options in the ~$300K range are Young and Cumming. Very little in the sub-$300K range that you'd be confident fielding (Ling, Hamill, Pearce etc.)

This means a lot of people will need to field both of Young and Cumming, which exposes you to risk should either of them score badly/get dropped/get injured, as there is no reasonable replacement available without restructuring your team. (Similar conundrum that people are dealing with regarding Flynn at R2/R3).

This actually happened last year, D6 was a nightmare for me all year and I had to burn through trades trying to find someone decent (didn't help that Young got injured so early).

Therefore, is there any merit in just fielding one of these guys at D6, and picking another keeper in defence in place of a similarly priced mid? (e.g. picking Crisp/Docherty/Stewart instead of Taranto/Walsh) You would then need to select an additional rookie in the mids, where the available options are much more bountiful than cheap defenders. That rookie would also be $100K+ cheaper than whichever of Young/Cumming you didn't pick, and would arguably score similarly. Easier to trade out too in case of injury/dropping.

If it transpired after 1-2 rounds that Young and Cumming were in fact both good reliable picks, you could always downgrade your D5 (e.g. a Harmes/Ash/Scholl type) to them and bank the cash. Thoughts?

Therefore, is there any merit in just fielding one of these guys at D6, and picking another keeper in defence in place of a similarly priced mid? (e.g. picking Crisp/Docherty/Stewart instead of Taranto/Walsh) You would then need to select an additional rookie in the mids, where the available options are much more bountiful than cheap defenders. That rookie would also be $100K+ cheaper than whichever of Young/Cumming you didn't pick, and would arguably score similarly. Easier to trade out too in case of injury/dropping.

Not a bad call. I guess it comes down to whether Crisp/Dochert/Stewart + cheaper Mid Rookie breaks even/scores more than Taranto/Walsh + the second of Young/Cumming. When placed like that I'm not as confident that it would.

I’ve watched most of the scratchies, but the only game I thought to keep track of stats was the one in Adelaide and it was only the players I was particularly interested in. There were a few others I wish I had tracked as well such as Butters, Rozee, Schoenberg and MacPherson.

I don’t claim to be 100% accurate but it gives a guide.

I thought from a Fantasy perspective (and this is guesswork) the best were DBJ, Amon, Keays, Butters and O’Brien. ‘Til three-quarter time Amon was everywhere. Breakout year maybe and possibly underpriced.

Most promising were: Shoenberg, Drew, Sholl and possibly Bergman. He would be touch and go.

Hateley probably only played after quarter time but marred his scoring by being handball dominant. Same with Sloane. He probably only played half a game. The role was there, but he didn’t seem to be the Sloane of old. This week will tell I guess.

On the other hand, Sholl was kick dominant.

Anyway here are the stats as I saw them.

Ps. probably missed tackles but, to be honest, it wasn’t a very contested game.
Pps. If Drew is named, I'm picking him.

Scratch.png

I’ve watched most of the scratchies, but the only game I thought to keep track of stats was the one in Adelaide and it was only the players I was particularly interested in. There were a few others I wish I had tracked as well such as Butters, Rozee, Schoenberg and MacPherson.

I thought from a Fantasy perspective (and this is guesswork) the best were DBJ, Amon, Keays, Butters and O’Brien. ‘Til three-quarter time Amon was everywhere. Breakout year maybe and possibly underpriced.

Most promising were: Shoenberg, Drew, Sholl and possibly Bergman. He would be touch and go.

Hateley probably only played after quarter time but marred his scoring by being handball dominant. Same with Sloane. He probably only played half a game. The role was there, but he didn’t seem to be the Sloane of old. This week will tell I guess.

View attachment 1068745

Didn't even bother collating total scores? Lazy kent

*joking, thanks for this

Looking at the D5-D6 conundrum. At the moment it looks like the two reasonable options in the ~$300K range are Young and Cumming. Very little in the sub-$300K range that you'd be confident fielding (Ling, Hamill, Pearce etc.)

This means a lot of people will need to field both of Young and Cumming, which exposes you to risk should either of them score badly/get dropped/get injured, as there is no reasonable replacement available without restructuring your team. (Similar conundrum that people are dealing with regarding Flynn at R2/R3).

This actually happened last year, D6 was a nightmare for me all year and I had to burn through trades trying to find someone decent (didn't help that Young got injured so early).

If it transpired after 1-2 rounds that Young and Cumming were in fact both good reliable picks, you could always downgrade your D5 (e.g. a Harmes/Ash/Scholl type) to them and bank the cash. Thoughts?

Lol I have Cumming Young @ D4 and D5 at the moment

The others I'm considering are Harmes, Big Boy, Clark and

*drum roll pls*

Aliir Aliir!

Played very well yesterday by all reports. Injury to Paton might play into his favour
Sounds like 3 way battle for that spot.
Witherden has looked crap today. Duggan on the other hand🔥🤔
Witherden got a lot of it early but didn't impress much. My concern with him (apart from the fact that I don't really like him) is job security. If Duggan holds that new role he looks good.
Is this a ridiculously risky defence?

Keep in mind, ive gone BANG with the rucks, and have a powerful midfield, But this defence... is keeping me awake

View attachment 1066430
The rooks are interchangeable. I'm sure it will be fine when you put selected defenders in there.
Hately was ordinary according to AFL site report.
Anyone got his stats/pts?
See above. Fairly accurate, I hope, But mainly handballs and his kicks weren't great. But he was busy.

Yeh its a bit bizarro world.
Fyfe 'should' beat them all in theory so the only freo player I'd be considering is Fyfe.

I'm really warming on fyfe actually. He's easily a 100+ average player regardless of where he's fielded.

He didn't score well last year and had an interupted year. Shortened quarters did him no favours with his increased minutes forward.

But this year we're back to normal, and fyfe is looking fit and firing.

Option A: he spends alot of time forward. He should still go better than his price tag and potentially gets DPP. He should get better service as their midfield is improving quickly.

Option B: he rotates mid/fwd In a 50/50 split. Still winning. Still may still get DPP which is icing.

Option C: he plays mainly mid and rests forward. The ultimate fantasy player.

Edit: Do Freo even need Fyfe forward? Their forward line looks fine in that regard. It made sense to play him there last year to get him through the year and fast track the kids... but this year it just makes sense to get him back in the midfield atleast 60/40split.
Problem I have is total score. His average will be fine but how many games does he play?
In the last four years he has missed 14. The year prior he played only 5 times.

Hickey, Flynn R1, R2.... Toying with this if the rookie situation is awful. Still likely to pick ROB though.
Well, your rookies have got to play somewhere. Rucks as good a place as any especially when they will outscore most rooks, but you will be sweating on no injury or getting dropped for a few months.

If it happens, how do you replace such a cheap ruck?

Will probably require two trades to end up with an undesirable middle ranked guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I currently have Max but his huge price tag has me worried even going at 115 he will lose a fair bit of coin

Hes my captain option and i dont have much else. Dont really have any uber premium types both Titch and Duncan that i liked have missed too much PS to pick and the rest i feel might be too pricey with the shorter season or interrupted preseasons

I dont like the Steele, Oliver, Zerrett, Macrae, Treloar, Neale types enough

So who are peoples top 2-3 options for captain. With Gawn the plan is to probably just lock him in for the first 6 rounds every round

Are people trusting Grundy or ROB early on as captain options for the first 6-7 rounds or have confidence and are picking say a Z.Merrett or Lloyd and happy to captain them?

Im trusting Grundy. I just can't see Gawn repeating last year. It rarely happens. I am almost positive he loses value. Grundy/Witts here. Also hoping Adams or Dunkley can get back to their very best. Plus the ever present Danger and THE pig, Titch. I feel fine about captain options without Gawn

Well, your rookies have got to play somewhere. Rucks as good a place as any especially when they will outscore most rooks, but you will be sweating on no injury or getting dropped for a few months.

If it happens, how do you replace such a cheap ruck?

Will probably require two trades to end up with an undesirable middle ranked guy.
Meek and Bailey Williams (if named) can replace them. If there's no back ups I agree.... Makes it hard to start with them.

The aim would be to have say Young and Hickey turned into 'insert defensive rookie who stands up' and a ruck premium by about round 6.

Thinking is that imo the safest rookie option right now to score 60+ is Flynn.
Hickey imo is the safest player in that 300-500k price range to score 20+ points above his price.
In the ruck there's free points from stoppages so even the crappiest full time rucks average 75 or 80.

I also think most rucks from last year are slightly overpriced due to the extra time on ground.

So if imo the best value is in the ruck, there's back up and the premiums are overs....
It's a possibility but ROB will probably be there.

View attachment 1068745
Was sholl on a wing? Cheers for this btw, great info

View attachment 1068844

Thoughts please? My team as of today!
Very good mix of candidates likely to be top 1&2 in their position, few value mid pricers (Green, Daniher could be kept for quite some time)
Lock it in til teams are named, it's a good side.

As with all of us (especially those going guns and rookies) just gotta check how many Sunday rookies you have as teams won't be announced til Sat night and there may be no one to trade to then.

The late team announcements is why I'm ok with a more mid priced team. Job security doesn't favour rookies and I don't wanna be screwed over by 'OUT's' every damn Saturday all season.
So I'll be making my money in blue chip value.
Spend $370k, cash in at $410k if I have to.

Ride a a premo with low break even and grab that cash, rather than biting my nails trying to get a $170k'er to rise in enough value to be worth trading out (ie, Ned Cahill last year pissed me off no end)

Lol I have Cumming Young @ D4 and D5 at the moment

The others I'm considering are Harmes, Big Boy, Clark and

*drum roll pls*

Aliir Aliir!

Aliir Aliir was great in both our internal trial and scratch match against the Crows. Slotted effortlessly into the back six and should be our intercept marking guru for the foreseeable. A shrewd pick indeed.

Poor old Grundy. One quiet year in Coronaball and everyone forgets he's the 120+ fantasy GOAT PIG.

I would think Grundy is all you need to feel perfectly safe for captaincy choices in 2021.

Pies have alot of games before Dees in the opening rounds.

So the ultimate is:

Grundy vice loop hole. Gawn Captain.

And loop hole whenever there is rookie holes you can no longer plug (or plug well).

Yes but thats too much money in the ruck department that it will make the rest of your side look quite weak

Im not discounting Grundy at all. Its just Gawn and Rob have been gifted a very nice early run.

What are we confident in Grundy scoring against S.Martin/T.English combo round 1? Will be a tough ask

Captain options I'm currently rolling with Grundy, Gaff, Danger and Lloyd.
Surely one of them fires straight out of the gate.
Just a matter of picking the right one each round.

With the rolling lockout you certainly dont need as much of a full blooded poweful captain option.

I remember when Moreias Magic didnt pick Titch to start the year because he got a very VC score on the Thursday or Friday and had 6 rounda in a row of Thursday games

Yes but thats too much money in the ruck department that it will make the rest of your side look quite weak

Im not discounting Grundy at all. Its just Gawn and Rob have been gifted a very nice early run.

What are we confident in Grundy scoring against S.Martin/T.English combo round 1? Will be a tough ask
I’m bullish on ROB with his early start and the fact he’s a s**t ton cheaper than Gawn. The one thing that keeps bringing me back to Grundy is the amount of early games pies play. Great VC loop option. But ROB is bloody tempting with that run and the upside I think he has

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back