Natural foot: Right

Honours:
Tasmania 2003
National Draft Camp Invitee 2003

TAC Stats:
2002: 13 games, 1 goal, 11.2 PPG.
2003: N/A

Profile:
Now here is a player that does look a likely type. Gilmour is only eligible to be drafted by 1 day, but I doubt he will get the chance to play underage footy again.

Gilmour played most of last season when Tassie were in the TAC Cup, half the year he was just 15 years old. Given he is a matchstick now I'm amazed he didn't get killed! This year he played really well in the lead-up games before getting injured just before the carnival and not getting a chance to play. Not only did this rob Tasmania of another good player, it also robbed them of leadership.

Gilmour was picked late in the year for the Tasmania Devils in the VFL and did quite well. He was very good against Box Hill of all teams off half-back. For a 17-year-old weighing just 66kg his courage is outstanding. He is not afraid to put his body on the line.

I suspect he will end up playing on a wing or half-back flank at AFL level, will need 2-3 years to baulk up. He has a very good footy brain and uses the footy well. He also excelled at draft camp, with top 10 results in agility, sprint and vertical leap. Given his youth and size, there is a lot of scope for improvement you would suspect, and I reckon he is worth a pick in the middle of the draft, rather than waiting until next year and possibly having to pay a lot more.

From the AFL Phantom Draft:

49. Brisbane Lions – Alex Gilmour
(Tassie Mariners) 29 June 1986, 180cm, 68kg

An impressive young midfielder who has stepped up to higher levels of football throughout his junior football career and handled it with aplomb. This was shown during the 2003 season when he played VFL football for Tasmania. Gilmour has firmed as a strong candidate to be drafted in recent times, while there is an outside chance that he might even be selected in the second round. One of the best young Tasmanians in the draft, Gilmour missed this year’s National AFL under 18 championships due to injury, but made his presence felt at the National AFL Draft camp, when he achieved top ten results in the agility, 20-metre sprint and the right-leg running vertical jump. A smart footballer, Gilmour can win plenty of the ball and has been linked to Richmond, Port Adelaide and the Brisbane Lions and could be in the mix for the Lions with possibly their last pick of the draft.

gilly

From red white online phnatom draft,

Alexander Gilmour (Tasmania)

another inside midfielder, Highly tipped to go first round up until a few weeks ago, he has fallen because of other clubs needs. He is not afraid to put his body on the line. He has a very good footy brain and uses the footy well.

GOALden Hawk says...

Daniel Jackson

Details:
Club: Carey Grammar
DOB: 25 Apr 86 Hgt: 185cm Wgt: 83kg
Position: Forward

Honours:
State Screening Camp Invitee 2003

TAC Stats:
2003: 7 games, 6 goals, 13.6 PPG.

Profile:
Don't really know too much about this guy - I only saw him play once against the Western Jets as a leading forward. He was nothing special, a red head who presented OK.

Jackson only played seven games (possibly due to school footy) but seemed to play in a variety of roles for Oakleigh, including a couple of games on the ball, and a game against Geelong where he kicked 4.2. He is very young. I would think he will get another year at TAC level to impress, but perhaps some sides saw something in the games I didn't see him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking a longer term view with our first 3 picks.

AFL Phantom Draft

76. Richmond – Daniel Jackson
(Oakleigh Chargers) 25 April 1986, 185cm, 83kg

An emerging forward who can also play in the midfield, Jackson could be somewhat of a surprise, but Richmond is believed to be sounding out the youngster who also plays for Carey Grammar. Jackson has also attracted the interest of Melbourne, but with a potential pre-season pick on the cards, he might be out of the Demons’ reach. A developing player, the Tigers might look to him now, instead of letting him slide through for another year.

kids so far.

Going with youth so far..and since our obvious defiency is height AND THEY AREN'T selecting those types means they must be going with the best available. They arent selecting ttalls for the sake of it.

IMO.

Which is a good thing !:)

Getting down to the Richmond-Carlton draft now. Most other clubs passing and finishing up.

GOALden Hawk says

Brent Hartigan

Details:
Club: Tullamarine
DOB: 7 Apr 85 Hgt: 177cm Wgt: 73kg
Position: Defender/onballer

Honours:
Half Back Flank in TAC Team of the Year
State Screening Camp Invitee

TAC Stats:
2002: 16 games, 3 goals, 12.2 PPG.
2003: 22 games, 10 goals, 19.0 PPG.

Profile:
Hartigan is a defender who plays much taller than his 177cm and had an exceptional season for Calder. I'm a real fan of this guy - he probably isn't the right size to get picked up but I hope he at least gets a go on a rookie list.

Hartigan's old man Dean played 36 games for the Bombers in the 1970's. Hartigan's main assets are his pinpoint kicking and his discipline. He will do all the right things. At this level players can be unpredictable and do things that clearly seem wrong at the time, yet Hartigan is predictable because he will always do the thing that is required.

Brent missed out on state selection, but played on the red-hot Luke Herrington the week after the carnival and flogged him, keeping him goalless. He is a good spoil and mark, and will use the ball superbly out of defence. He rarely wastes a disposal and can kick goals and play onball if required.

In the Preliminary Final he was pitted against Herrington and again beat him. Was prepared to back his judgement and run off him, kicking a great goal after running down from the back pocket. He is balanced and poised. I'm not sure how quick he is and he might be a bit short to play anywhere but back pocket, but I think he is definitely worth a shot on a rookie list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back