Official Club Stuff OFFICIAL GEELONG CATS THREAD - Questions, comments and suggestions for the Club

Remove this Banner Ad

take Cats Media to a more transparent place we feel it should be
Good to hear Mitch. Many here feel the same.

Can I just say that the BigFooty community, as I'm sure you appreciate, isn't really made up of garden variety fans that are satisfied by the content put out by the club through the usual channels. That's why people come here - to discuss and to dig down to another level. To the extent you are willing and able to do so, the value you can provide by contributing on this board is to provide something that people don't get elsewhere. That's not to suggest it needs to be any club secret - it could be things that just don't have mass appeal - but the thirst here is for something different to what we see through the website, Twitter and Facebook. How realistic it is for you to bring something like that here is of course a challenge you face that we all appreciate.

As much as I take the piss I also think we need to be aware that the posters like myself who post here are a certain level of fan, more fanatical than a lot of others, so we have a greater thirst for knowledge and the nitty gritty stuff.... The casual fan on the street potentially doesn't share that, and the content needs to be such that it can work on both levels.

I don't envy what you can and can't do and understand you have restrictions, I think we just find here that we desire a greater level of info

100%. And I too sat towards the more fanatical end like yourself as I trawled BigFooty back in the day. It's only really since I've worked in the AFL industry that I find myself too saturated to get back on here and post as myself... well, that and the fact the Tasmanian board barely registers a pulse these days. Even Bay 13 and GD hasn't been enough to bring me back... yet.

But I know that Tom and myself recognise your board as some of our most passionate fans. That's why he started to engage with you in the first place. I can't speak for the rest of our team but I'm personally happy to wear any criticism or feedback because we're actively trying to improve Cats Media as much as possible (within reason, as I explained earlier). Be warned though - I enjoy extracting the urine as much as anyone on here so you'll be getting some back when warranted!

- Mitch

I'm not sure whether there's been an issue in the past that I'm not aware of in regards to getting players on the podcast and with fear of passing the buck, the content team here is separate to the media/PR team and they're really the ones you would need to talk to to lock in a player for a chat.

If you want to send a request through to me at mbroughton@geelongcats.com.au then I'm happy to forward it on.

As for me or Adam personally appearing on there... no issues at all with that. I must say I don't know what we could add that you can't but if you're up for it I'm sure we can work something out!

- Mitch
I will pester you shortly :thumbsu:

As I'm sure most of you can understand, we find ourselves in an interesting position as the content arm of the football club. I made note of my background in an introductory post last year, but Adam, our video editor Grant and myself have all worked within print and television newsrooms so we understand the demand and desire for news and information that you all have. We share it too.

The issue is that there are a number of things we're either not privy to or specifically asked not to cover. First and foremost, we are always asking ourselves "what do the fans want" and "what do they want to know/see". That's our starting point. Though just because we can see a story unfolding before our eyes doesn't necessarily mean we can bring it to you. I do realise that in many ways is a cop out but it's a reality we hope you can appreciate.

Internally, we're conscious of opening and exposing more of our football department to yourselves and the general public and we think there's been a few good steps in the right direction there. But it is a process and for those like myself and Grant who have only been at the club for a year, there's a certain element of trust that needs to be earned before we can really take Cats Media to a more transparent place we feel it should be. Again though, the reality is we are in essence a public relations arm of a football club and there won't ever be a time when we're not.

- Mitch

As much as I take the piss I also think we need to be aware that the posters like myself who post here are a certain level of fan, more fanatical than a lot of others, so we have a greater thirst for knowledge and the nitty gritty stuff.... The casual fan on the street potentially doesn't share that, and the content needs to be such that it can work on both levels.

I don't envy what you can and can't do and understand you have restrictions, I think we just find here that we desire a greater level of info

To Official Cats (Mitch's) point about being a PR arm of the club, it seems like a perfect chance for Willo_ to request access to a player or Podcats member to appear on a BFCats episode - given the PR is about promoting the club that would be great example and vehicle to do just that.

Im sure there would be limitations and things that are off limits or not coverable - as is the case for many interviews in mainstream media TBH - but IMO it would still give a good insight to the club and to although there are boundaries to discussion topics Mitch would still be able to give a good personal insight to us.

As for us being a more detailed supporter group, that is more that apt here. Regardless of opinions, and there are plenty of those :D, the footy intellect on here is higher than the average supporter session and fan day. Im sure there are things that can be discussed that have occurred the past, that could be related to the present and future that would not be breaking code or trust boundaries and still be interesting to the group, board and interview panel.

GO Catters

EDIT - it seems these ideas have been addressed - looking forward to it whatever the outcome.

Classic to see Mitch an old Board trawler from back in the day.

Working in TV myself over here I completely understand the saturation you can get when your passion also becomes your day job - rarely watch any of it these days.

Last edited:
They moved to the Reg Hickey stand
I think there is multiple sites... and with good reason as they are awesome

Better than spending 8 bucks on a s**t pie or chips

I think there is multiple sites... and with good reason as they are awesome

Better than spending 8 bucks on a s**t pie or chips
The red tent is gone though so I assume they moved to the Reg Hickey stand. And yeah they are awesome. Had one at the Vic market the other week and it was s**t in comparison.

Well Official Cat I guess my question on the coaches contract fell the wrong side of the line.So I'll move on to question two can you clear up for us the reasoning behind the departure of SJ it was the subject of lot of conjecture here when it happened,plenty of theories thrown around.
Cheers
YPO
I'm still here...

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody informative this thread,so far this year we have learned where to get a good hot dog and that's it,riveting stuff.

So far you've asked questions about Chris Scott's contract and the circumstances surrounding Steve Johnson's departure... yet you sound surprised?

Personally, I've gained a lot from the hot dog discussion.

- Mitch

So far you've asked questions about Chris Scott's contract and the circumstances surrounding Steve Johnson's departure... yet you sound surprised?

Personally, I've gained a lot from the hot dog discussion.

- Mitch

That's advantage Official Cats on the whacking department id suggest. Whack and whacked back.

So now we've managed to get that out of the way....

What's the general feeling about the new recruits - especially Zuthrie ( we have Cuthrie and Zuthrie now :)). Are we in a position to have an upgrade available (meaning do we have a current LTI?) and do you think we are likely to get an upgrade at some point. Clearly one JLT game does not an upgrade make, but do you think its possible?

I have read the report of JLT 1 you guys did and there was good excitement there....

Do you think O'Connor will get a JLT game or is he just too far off?
And does the same apply for SOS ( son of Simpson) given that he got to the club later than everyone else?

On the non playing front, is T Sel getting fully into the Wells mould of recruiting? Is it logical to think there might be a succession plan afoot given Cookie and Hocking have always maintained that part of their job is to ensure their skills are passed onto a successor before they depart? Not expecting Wells to call time or anything but it seems logical..
Go Catters

Is there any chance of updating the wallpapers available on the website? I'd prefer player shots to branding if possible but it'd just be good to see a year more recent than 2013 mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back