General Bombers Talk Official Podcasts - One on One, Bonnie T & Maddy P

Remove this Banner Ad

What impression of our midfiled group / leaders do you get when you hear these stories?
Same impression that has lead me to say we have had a latte leadership group for a long while.
The difference between you and I is I believe in what my inside contacts tell me and that is there has been a big focus on changing the culture of the whole club. However it is not a quick fix. Players will come and go and the leadership will develop and change over time. It guarantees nothing but the process has started.
I have been saying for years we have lacked leadership in the playing group. That we have not had many hard edge leaders. The biggest thing that blew up for Worsfold was his plan to let the players drive the standard . He did not have the leaders able to do that.
As far as they playing list goes they just have to keep chipping away. Working with the current blokes and also the new blokes in building their leadership skills.
The end of 2020 was a monumental kick in the nuts for our footy club. There was a massive shift in what we are doing now. The 2019 event does not bother me a lot as it was 2019. I know for a fact that we have been doing a lot behind the scenes with all the players as far as leadership and culture goes.

I can not say it guarantees success .It may not . What I do know is a young player coming into the club today is not going to be faced with the same club he would have 5 years ago.

Same impression that has lead me to say we have had a latte leadership group for a long while.
The difference between you and I is I believe in what my inside contacts tell me and that is there has been a big focus on changing the culture of the whole club. However it is not a quick fix. Players will come and go and the leadership will develop and change over time. It guarantees nothing but the process has started.
I have been saying for years we have lacked leadership in the playing group. That we have not had many hard edge leaders. The biggest thing that blew up for Worsfold was his plan to let the players drive the standard . He did not have the leaders able to do that.
As far as they playing list goes they just have to keep chipping away. Working with the current blokes and also the new blokes in building their leadership skills.
The end of 2020 was a monumental kick in the nuts for our footy club. There was a massive shift in what we are doing now. The 2019 event does not bother me a lot as it was 2019. I know for a fact that we have been doing a lot behind the scenes with all the players as far as leadership and culture goes.

I can not say it guarantees success .It may not . What I do know is a young player coming into the club today is not going to be faced with the same club he would have 5 years ago.
Im not saying it won't work - and haven't said that - and I've got no idea whats happening at the club. I'm also well aware that cultures in groups and organisations change. I am saying organisations with poor leadership don't change in a hurry and that these stories sound as soft as these players looked on Saturday.

One area i have expressed concern is that this same group is teaching the likes of Perkins and Martin how things get done at Essendon. Which effectively means our future leaders have either have to ignore the current groups ways or embrace them. The normal tendancy would be to fit in and embrace them.

Last edited:

Im not saying it won't work - and haven't said that - and I've got no idea whats happening at the club. I'm also well aware that cultures in groups and organisations change. I am saying these stories sound as soft as these plagers looked on Saturday

One area i have expressed concern is that this same group is teaching the likes of Perkins and Martin how things get done at Essendon. Which effectively means our future leaders have either have to ignore the current groups ways or embrace them. The normal tendancy would be to fit in and embrace them.
What will make a difference is it is not just learning from the current leaders. There have been a few different leadership courses and that will be ongoing for the young players plus there have been talks with leaders from various other forms of life. Also the coaches are playing a role. Truck may not rant and rave but he is very clear with the group and the standards that he wants to meet.

The biggest kicker will be who we draft in / trade in over the next few years. Genuine leaders do not simply learn their leadership. They are born with a level of leadership and then it is honed as they go along. Who is to say McGrath has not developed some different ideas he may use as he goes forward ? I know on the coaching front there is a massive difference from Worsfold and the players driving the bus to Truck and the coaching staff providing the standards to be met and pushing the players to meet them.
We showed improvement as far as team defense over the year last season.
We where depressingly horrible last week but it does highlight the work to be done and the fact that with injuries we are not a great team. Our leaders let us down for sure but I suspect they are a bit better than that and we did show it in the back end of last year.

What will make a difference is it is not just learning from the current leaders. There have been a few different leadership courses and that will be ongoing for the young players plus there have been talks with leaders from various other forms of life. Also the coaches are playing a role. Truck may not rant and rave but he is very clear with the group and the standards that he wants to meet.

The biggest kicker will be who we draft in / trade in over the next few years. Genuine leaders do not simply learn their leadership. They are born with a level of leadership and then it is honed as they go along. Who is to say McGrath has not developed some different ideas he may use as he goes forward ? I know on the coaching front there is a massive difference from Worsfold and the players driving the bus to Truck and the coaching staff providing the standards to be met and pushing the players to meet them.
We showed improvement as far as team defense over the year last season.
We where depressingly horrible last week but it does highlight the work to be done and the fact that with injuries we are not a great team. Our leaders let us down for sure but I suspect they are a bit better than that and we did show it in the back end of last year.
Thats interesting they are reaching out to different people and not just from the current group. If that's a new initiative by the club then thats great. At least it sounds like they are well aware of the deficiencies.

Thats interesting they are reaching out to different people and not just from the current group. If that's a new initiative by the club then thats great. At least it sounds like they are well aware of the deficiencies.
Lack of leadership depth and development was one area that came up in the review that Paul Brasher conducted . It may have sounded a bit like a bit of talk to make everyone feel good but he really did speak to a lot of people from inside to former players / inside people to others just looking on . He got a lot of real feedback and 90% was not flash.

Lack of leadership depth and development was one area that came up in the review that Paul Brasher conducted . It may have sounded a bit like a bit of talk to make everyone feel good but he really did speak to a lot of people from inside to former players / inside people to others just looking on . He got a lot of real feedback and 90% was not flash.
Great info Ant cheers. Why is Stringer not considered as a Vice Captain? He is one of the few who consistently leads by example on the field - also you think there are weaknesses in how the leadership group is selected / what it's based on?

Great info Ant cheers. Why is Stringer not considered as a Vice Captain? He is one of the few who consistently leads by example on the field - also you think there are weaknesses in how the leadership group is selected / what it's based on?
Not sure if Stringer actually wanted LG . Think he is happy to lead without the LG tag.
The weakness in the leadership is not really how they are selected as such but just a lack of depth in the options. I do like they have gone back to just 3. A few years ago the club insisted Joe and Raz be in the leadership group which was pretty much the beginning of the end for Woosha as he did not want them as leaders. Turns out he was right as both bolted.

Not sure if Stringer actually wanted LG . Think he is happy to lead without the LG tag.
The weakness in the leadership is not really how they are selected as such but just a lack of depth in the options. I do like they have gone back to just 3. A few years ago the club insisted Joe and Raz be in the leadership group which was pretty much the beginning of the end for Woosha as he did not want them as leaders. Turns out he was right as both bolted.

I'm getting a distinct impression that Woosha
In a way he was the right thing to get our club through that period but he was the wrong coach for this group with the way he does things.
I do believe player led stuff is the best way to do things, I've believed that for a long time and across sports.
But if you can't get the group to a spot where they can do that or you don't have the leaders than it just won't work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parish had the flu last week hence no episode – also interesting he got 10 in the coaches votes after having the flu lol

Taking the piss out of Cara a bit haha. Normally a bit of a joker, was super serious last week as acting senior coach. Described him as a genius that sees the game 5 steps ahead.

Peter Wright is the guest for the week, cute lil convo introducing him there, pumping him up a bit as they did with Shiel (must be a thing)

Talking about F1s, apparently 2MP is a big fan of the sport, and McGrath, Wright and Durham are in a fantasy league for it 🤔🤣 McGrath got to do a hot lap a couple of years ago so talking about that, he took Shiel with him. Had to be under 6' to do it which is why he got it, Hepp couldn't and Merrett didn't want it.

MasterChef, apparently 2MP a fairly good cook.

Dilemmas game thing, what do you do if you forget someone's name? Or their jumper number. Apparently they sometimes blank on Truck's name at pressers and stuff, coz they never ever call him "Ben".

Variations on "two metre", "two litre" etc. Apparently there's a meme where he's been photoshopped so instead of drinking gatorade it's a 2L bottle of milk that he got tagged in by Naismith. Guelfi had him for KK when he first arrived at the club, gave him a "2 metre wines" bottle of wine and a 2L bottle of milk with the meme printed out which is how the 2L thing stuck - apparently that's his favourite one. They also call him 2 seater/7 seater/Competer etc 🤷‍♀️ Other good nicknames at the club are Durham = Doozy from the name of the alcohol which he apparently loves, Laverde = Doss (from Jayden obviously) which Truck called him "Dossage" the other day 🤣 Parish got "Ratha" from Truck the other day which he pretty much only gets from McGrath...

Q about what it's like playing in Queensland as compared to Melbourne. 2MP no good at surfing despite living in Queensland for 6 years. The team up there isn't closely connected with the locals so they mostly spend their time with each other, which is good but when the team isn't going well there's no escape either.

Q about being left out of the team a lot at GC. Tough to break into the team during COVID when you're playing 1 in 3 reserves games but here he feels like he has the backing of the coaches, not taking it for granted etc.

Car chat - 2MP traded in a V8 for a ranger

Gary Ablett chat - 2MP played with him for 3 years, great person, prep for games was strange but worked for him, McGrath's idol growing up

Best sledge - apparently 2MP looks like the inside of an AirPod case according to one of the Adelaide defenders last week, but still not sure what it means hah

3 people to invite to a dinner party - LeBron, Brady, Federer

Trying to get Draper on the pod but it's difficult, apparently he's going to start his own pod 🤣🤣 Maybe Hind or Stewart.

Anzac Day special episode — starts much like McGrath’s interview talking about last week. Pay their respects for Anzac Day.

Guest is one of our wheelchair footy players, Sam Maraldo, who is ex-Navy and has competed at the Invictus Games which is cool. Appropriate. Talks a bit about his experiences and medals and such.

Heppell’s 200th so he was the guest this week.

They talked a bit about the players who had to pull out of the game last week, Durham lives with McGrath and woke him up from a pre-game nap to tell him he was throwing up, so that was the last one to drop.

Brought up a few old things Parish found on the internet, including shower thoughts from a Reece ambassador thing he did, a weird photo from Captains day in his first year as captain where he was chewing a broken old Sherrin to make it look like he ripped it open with his teeth.

First impressions of Parish and McGrath were mostly to do with when they got drafted and he was asked to call them and welcome them to the club — in particular the phone call to Parish which was pretty funny, yeah nah, nah yeah, yeah nah definitely 😂

Stories of growing up in Leongatha, his routine (getting up at 5.45 every day), bathroom habits (peasized bladder gets up twice a night every night), dreadlocks (which he apparently kept and found when he was moving house earlier this year - gross!), and the cat that his girlfriend surprised him with even though he’s badly allergic (apparently he’s now got a bit of immunity to this particular cat, but if he’s away for a couple of days he has to get used to the car again and take allergy meds).

Stories about his first two years at Windy Hill, walking in at 18 thinking how amazing it was and then pretty quickly realising the ground wasn’t up to scratch, having to do weights and meetings at WH but then going to other places, like Vic Park and PEGS for actual preseason training on the ground.

When they first started training at the hangar they had the ground but not the other facilities yet so they’d be doing their stuff in an old airport hangar while a bunch of locals were sitting at a bar at the other end having a pot of beer.

Hot and cold spas at WH were pretty feral, all the chlorine and stuff had to be added manually and used to get green moss all around the edges etc. Players would like shave their legs and then get boils after going in the pools apparently.

One time the chemicals got spilled and the poor bloke who spilled it was trying to clean it up, that whole saga ended in an evacuation and the fireys and all coming and sorting it out.

Favourite teammates over the time he was talking about Nick Kommer, Mark Baguley, Paddy Ambrose — guys that you knew what you’d get from them every week and they had a lot of grit.

Favourite games, his debut against the Bulldogs (10 goal win, those were the days!), Anzac Day, and the first game in 2017 when they came back from the year off and it was his first game as Captain against Hawthorn with Roughead also from Leongatha also playing his first game as Captain, and then we won that game.

Shout out for Hooker Wines doing a special edition 200th game bottle (2017 Shiraz), Chook apparently had something to do with getting the pics on the bottle and little blurb and stuff.

Also the whole thing about getting drafted and whether he had OP or not — I put that story in his player thread.

The latest episode has Nick Hind as the guest, worthwhile listen imo given he was a mature age draftee and actually has some life experience and some stories about that.

Also highlights how important it is to invest in the VFL program. I know in the past Hayden Skipworth made an impact while he was involved with it, and then Dan Jordan came through and has been influential as well (he brought Hind into the program).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back