AFL Autopsy One of the worst losses of the year vs weagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips would have been a better fit than Bryan last night IMO.
But he had a little niggle. This has been his problem all along. Plays well then cops an injury. This really frustrates me and I’m sure him even more. I think he is more than capable of playing senior AFL footy but if he can’t stay on the park we really need to replace him with an experienced, senior ruckman.

Objectively speaking, this was nowhere near the worst loss. West Coast were close to full strength with an experienced team and Essendon still dominated general play. Without checking, I'd say West Coast named an older and more experienced side.

Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle were bad losses. It wasn't a great game, but this is not the West Coast that got thrashed by 100 points.

I will say however that I hope this game is the end of not playing a genuine KPD.

Objectively speaking, this was nowhere near the worst loss. West Coast were close to full strength with an experienced team and Essendon still dominated general play. Without checking, I'd say West Coast named an older and more experienced side.

Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle were bad losses. It wasn't a great game, but this is not the West Coast that got thrashed by 100 points.
It was bad because we dominated everything but lost. It’s not like they didn’t try, it was the poor execution that disappointing, and at ease that the Eagles could score.

I will say that I hope this game is the end of the ludicrous idea of not playing a genuine KPD though.
They were still equal bottom of the ladder, morale low as a club, coach circling the drain, players 1-2 games back from LTI's and carrying a lot of ageing veterans. West Coast at "full strength" are still an old team on their last legs and we made them look like 2016 again.

Agree it wasn't our worst loss but we should've won that.

It was bad because we dominated everything but lost. It’s not like they didn’t try, it was the poor execution that disappointing, and at ease that the Eagles could score.
I edited my post to include the worst part of the loss. That is the stupid idea of not playing a genuine KPD against a team with Kennedy. I hope this game was the end of that.

Maybe I'm just removed from this season and looking at things long term, but I don't mind losses like yesterday because the effort and ability to play well is there. I dislike uncompetitive losses like Sydney and Geelong because there's nothing to take from that.

They were still equal bottom of the ladder, morale low as a club, coach circling the drain, players 1-2 games back from LTI's and carrying a lot of ageing veterans. West Coast at "full strength" are still an old team on their last legs and we made them look like 2016 again.

Agree it wasn't our worst lost but we should've won that.
Even based on general play that should have been a comfortable win, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over finishing 16th or 15th. I couldn't care less about that. Sure West Coast are ageing, but was the named side objectively stronger than West Coast's side? I don't think it was. Considering West Coast pushed Geelong last week, this is more of a shrug shoulder type of loss rather than an infuriating loss. Being equal bottom of the ladder doesn't really mean much when you've been fielding WAFL-level players because of COVID protocols and injuries for the first half of the year.

Even based on general play that should have been a comfortable win, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over finishing 16th or 15th. I couldn't care less about that. Sure West Coast are ageing, but was the named side objectively stronger than West Coast's side? I don't think it was. Considering West Coast pushed Geelong last week, this is more of a shrug shoulder type of loss rather than an infuriating loss. Being equal bottom of the ladder doesn't really mean much when you've been fielding WAFL-level players because of COVID protocols and injuries for the first half of the year.
It does though. They know finals aren't a possibility and they lose that incentive to give 100%, and a seemingly general consensus that the coach is on the way out. Can't tell me being equal bottom doesn't do anything to a teams mindset.

Hard to say - their named list was decent (and so was ours) but context of where they are in the season and is a club is important. They're still had the deficiencies I listed above. I thought we had shown improvement in the last few weeks but I am questioning that now - seems we've largely reverted to the mean.

A lot of young, inexperienced players in our line up. It is always difficult to win interstate. Eagles are not as weak as earlier in the year. We should have won if we kicked more accurately...but didn't. Good experience for the kids. A lot of them are improving week in week out. I know we have not a lot of patience left as Essendon supporters but the more games these kids play together the better we will be down the track.

It does though. They know finals aren't a possibility and they lose that incentive to give 100%, and a seemingly general consensus that the coach is on the way out. Can't tell me being equal bottom doesn't do anything to a teams mindset.

Hard to say - their named list was decent (and so was ours) but context of where they are in the season and is a club is important. They're still had the deficiencies I listed above. I thought we had shown improvement in the last few weeks but I am questioning that now - seems we've largely reverted to the mean.
Yeah that would make more sense if we weren't 16th with only two more wins heading into the game (now only 1 win ahead). I'd say they had far more to play for than us. Longest losing streak (and longest home losing streak) in club history, experienced players returning, pushed a top 4 team last week, haven't won at home in a long time, second biggest crowd of the season. If anything, being equal bottom in those circumstances would have given them the motivation to beat a team sitting 16th in front of home fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did i say I wasn’t supporting Rutten? I still believe he is the right coach, but I also understand how reactionary our club can be.

Kind of surprised by this comment because I can't really think of a time (other than what got us in to the saga) where the club has been reactionary at all.
We (IMO) pretty much always just try and maintain the status quo, often for far too long

Strange game. Not quite like the 1st half of the season yet not quite like last week either, kind of like in between.

In general play we were able to maintain a structure that created contests and moved the ball as well as we did last week but were burned on the turnovers due to the high press.

Surely the coaches have run the numbers giving them more than enough data to suggest that we concede more goals than we create from pressing that high.

It amazing when you think we had 27 scoring shots and put 97 points on west coasts defense even though they were the ones holding their defenders back and they had 27 scoring shots and put 107 points on us with them having at least 2 loose players in their forward 50 for 80% of our turnovers, that's the game right there.

As others have said, Eagles last night was not the same team that's played for most of the year, but are the team that got 3 goals of beating Geelong.
I thought Eagles matched Essendon pretty well everywhere and goal kicking accuracy made the difference.

Wright last night reminded me of Laycock grabbing big marks and missing set shots for goal arghhh.

The only thing worse than us not playing a KPD was Dunstall's commentary.

ace ventura GIF

Strange game. Not quite like the 1st half of the season yet not quite like last week either, kind of like in between.

In general play we were able to maintain a structure that created contests and moved the ball as well as we did last week but were burned on the turnovers due to the high press.

Surely the coaches have run the numbers giving them more than enough data to suggest that we concede more goals than we create from pressing that high.

It amazing when you think we had 27 scoring shots and put 97 points on west coasts defense even though they were the ones holding their defenders back and they had 27 scoring shots and put 107 points on us with them having at least 2 loose players in their forward 50 for 80% of our turnovers, that's the game right there.
Game of 2 defences.
Everything we did was rushed. Everything they did was in open paddocks.

We are the “ we are there for you” team. Geelong, too old too slow, we’ll fix that.for you. Briz being held back until later in the season ? That’s ok, you go half pace, we are here for you. Richmond,we have been there for close to a decade for them, they know we are there for them. Crows ? We tried hard to be there but they refused that one. Melbourne ? Gave them a good hit out but never really in it. carlton ? On our 150th ? We were there for them and they took full advantage
saints ? Silly Saints ****ed that one up, took it for granted, we were there for you as your attitude clearly showed, arrogance cost you there. Norf is on the horizon, we all know what happens next, been terrible, like w.coast, need another win, we know the rest.

We are the “ we are there for you” team. Geelong, too old too slow, we’ll fix that.for you. Briz being held back until later in the season ? That’s ok, you go half pace, we are here for you. Richmond,we have been there for close to a decade for them, they know we are there for them. Crows ? We tried hard to be there but they refused that one. Melbourne ? Gave them a good hit out but never really in it. carlton ? On our 150th ? We were there for them and they took full advantage
saints ? Silly Saints ducked that one up, took it for granted, we were there for you as your attitude clearly showed, arrogance cost you there. Norf is on the horizon, we all know what happens next, been terrible, like w.coast, need another win, we know the rest.
Maybe we're there for Norf to ensure they get pick 1? It would very thoughtful of us.

Kind of surprised by this comment because I can't really think of a time (other than what got us in to the saga) where the club has been reactionary at all.
We (IMO) pretty much always just try and maintain the status quo, often for far too long
I think the Knights hire/firing, the extending of Worsfolds contract were two moments of reactionary decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back