AFL Autopsy 1 point (technical) win vs the Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Im finding it harder to 'get up' to support this car crash.

What is most annoying is there is always an excuse. Lunchtime catch up "its cause we're young", Don The Sash "cause Scott is first year in charge", on here it's cause we don't have a big bodied key defender. Their is always an excuse.

We are s**t and have been for a long time now. I had hope earlier in the year, I want to believe that as a young side the year is long and hence the legs are getting heavy, however, the same mistakes from yesteryear under previous coaches are rearing there ugly heads so blaming it on culture.

It's getting harder and harder
wheel moves slowly and the many false starts don't help

opted not to rebuild post 2016
opted to top up in '17-'19 (SSSS trades)
handled Woosha to Rutten really badley
handled Daniher leaving badly
handled Covid hubs badly
handled rutten out badly

12 wins in '22 by more than 2 goals (not easily turned around by a goal either way)
With 3 games left to go, that's down to 6, plus 3 under a kick.

You are right that this is culture.
I feel a lot has changed, but one thing that takes the longest time is to remove the reliance on the players who won't take you forward.
I look forward to see how we handle a few this year.....starting with Heppell.

For what it's worth, I get the feeling the AFL has become a bit of the have's and have not's since the inclusion of GCS and GWS.

Compromised drafts at their inception, father/son first rounders, next generation academy types for northern teams, gifted priority selections and Free Agent compensations all colluding to make it a lot harder to bottom out completely and start a rebuild.

I fear for WCE who have now entered into the twilight zone of the bottom 6.

GC, Ess, Adel, Frem, Haw and NM have all spent a lot of time in the zone between 8 and 18 for the last 6 seasons (the have not's). yes, some like Frem have had a 5th finish (2022) but they are mostly one-offs.

You assume finishing last gives you 1 and 19. This year it may be 1 and 27. Finishing second last gives you 2 & 20. This year it could be 3 & 28.

It seems like something exceptional needs to happen for a side to elevate and stay as a strong performer with consecutive finals.

Essendon had a window for exceptional in 2020. Picks 8, 9, 10. A chance to build a locked in 3 gun nucleus to guide the ship. A lot of pressure on those kids.

They are the key to a serious lift, if there is every going to be one.

For what it's worth, I get the feeling the AFL has become a bit of the have's and have not's since the inclusion of GCS and GWS.

Compromised drafts at their inception, father/son first rounders, next generation academy types for northern teams, gifted priority selections and Free Agent compensations all colluding to make it a lot harder to bottom out completely and start a rebuild.

I fear for WCE who have now entered into the twilight zone of the bottom 6.

GC, Ess, Adel, Frem, Haw and NM have all spent a lot of time in the zone between 8 and 18 for the last 6 seasons (the have not's). yes, some like Frem have had a 5th finish (2022) but they are mostly one-offs.

You assume finishing last gives you 1 and 19. This year it may be 1 and 27. Finishing second last gives you 2 & 20. This year it could be 3 & 28.

It seems like something exceptional needs to happen for a side to elevate and stay as a strong performer with consecutive finals.

Essendon had a window for exceptional in 2020. Picks 8, 9, 10. A chance to build a locked in 3 gun nucleus to guide the ship. A lot of pressure on those kids.

They are the key to a serious lift, if there is every going to be one.
We got lucky adding another young, top mid for relative peanuts too.
2020 added Caldwell, Wright, Perkins and Cox to our 22. Even if Reid never gets going, that's solid return. Esp with 3 of them 18-20yo at the time of adding.

If i'm WCE, i'm planning a Geelong style focus - target WA talent, get into the ears of young WA kids to nominate to come home after two years, etc.
You did the right thing and chased a 2nd flag. Now pivot to the hard rebuild.

We got lucky adding another young, top mid for relative peanuts too.
2020 added Caldwell, Wright, Perkins and Cox to our 22. Even if Reid never gets going, that's solid return. Esp with 3 of them 18-20yo at the time of adding.

If i'm WCE, i'm planning a Geelong style focus - target WA talent, get into the ears of young WA kids to nominate to come home after two years, etc.
You did the right thing and chased a 2nd flag. Now pivot to the hard rebuild.

Wright. No questions there.

Caldwell has been upper tier standard since hitting the 40 game mark. His last dozen have shown he can be an AFL standard mid. I have no idea why he wasn't given much mid time on Saturday.

Perkins. Juries out for me. 60 games now. Can't seem to elevate above the 15 touch, 4 mark, 1 goal standard. OK for a so-so HF but needs to find that one asset that sets him apart. Big year in 2024.

Cox. Solid first year and cruelled. 30 games is not enough to make a call.

Reid. * knows.

That 2020 8, 9, 10 threesome have got to give the fans something in 2024.

Caldwell has been upper tier standard since hitting the 40 game mark. His last dozen have shown he can be an AFL standard mid. I have no idea why he wasn't given much mid time on Saturday.

Perkins. Juries out for me. 60 games now. Can't seem to elevate above the 15 touch, 4 mark, 1 goal standard. OK for a so-so HF but needs to find that one asset that sets him apart. Big year in 2024.

Reid. * knows.

likely that caldwell was carrying something, not sure what at this stage, was subbed out early.

i personally think perkins has a future somewhere in our team, realistically a summer working with the midfield AND the forwards will do wonders for him, but currently in no mans land as to what role he plays, he could be an inside midfielder in the future but that might be 2-3 years down the track and by then who knows what the middle looks like.

agree with reid/cox. i think cox has what it takes, just needs to be put in a position consistently, prefer back than on the wing/forward

Reid. * knows.

I don't much rate Perkins as a HF. i think his gig is gonna be big mid. he may not have the best midfield craft, but he's strong, tall and competitive and we're crying out for that.

Cox needs to carve his role out in defence now. Pass mark for injury and us jerking him around as a wing, but he should ideally be replacing Heppell next year as an intercept rebound defender/defensive wing type.

Perkins may be okay, just needs to learn as a tagger/very defensive mid for a while

Cant remember who it was against but his hustle to get a holding the ball from a CBA impressive

Hes nullified Dawson and Cripps very nicely

Im starting to see small signs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back