AFL Autopsy 1 point (technical) win vs the Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive game from Hind. McGrath showing once again that he's an athlete first and footballer second (not good).
It's really not good for a number 1 pick. The foot skills he displayed were deplorable!
The skills from the whole club are not up to standard.
There must be footys in the gutter all the way up Melrose Drive!

So yes I am crazy but I have watched the game again.

Sides have worked us out which is not all that a massive statement but they have. I have been banging on about how s**t we are at marking the ball in general play for I do not know how long for now and it kills us. It allows sides to slow us down by playing man on man and forcing us to kick down the line. They know we will only mark maybe 2 in 20 so they basically make sure they do not play a large zone. They go man on man or a solid midfield zone and not allow us the short lead up kicks we where getting early in the year. There is no easy fix for this as it requires personal to be rolled over and new blokes to come in. We can not play fast footy because we can not mark the bloody thing.

Now Wright has his issues right now but we also make it hard for him. Our rucks get back in the forward line but rather than get in behind him and block they compete with him for the ball. Flip did it several times and Bryan once. FFS your you bloody brains you drop kicks.

Too many easy turnovers by foot. Streaming forward and total miss.

Transition goals out of the back half against us where generally a result of their defenders being allowed to run and create with their midfielders. We got swamped because the forward half is slow and some of them have no idea about defensive transition. It then puts too much pressure on the midfield who struggle to defend well at the best of times.

Alwyn Davey should be rested for the rest of the year. He has been banged up so much this year that he is now avoiding body contact.

Back six continue to do pretty well under massive pressure although Heppell had a pumpkin on his head tonight.

There is no easy fix for this. They will have to pull two rabbits and a hare out of the hat in the next 2 draft / trade / FA periods to fast track this .

How many superstars in the comp are there?
Correct me if I’m wrong but the last superstar we drafted was Lloyd (’95)
Outside of Jobe have we even had a player make the top 20 of drunk Robbo’s top 50 more than one year in a row?? (Yes I realise this isn’t the way to rate players).
Outside of Gold Coast I think every team has had player rated top5/10 in the AFL for multiple years at some point in the last 15 years except for us.

One thing I noticed one of the umps called about 3 kicks in a row short but they clearly traveled 20m.

Watching the Cats game 10m is ok for them.
Ground is smaller :p

I don't think the desire is the issue.

He has miscalculated and fed all of the bad habits of the team. He has applied principles in a vacuum rather than tailoring to fit the self satisfied front running culture at Essendon.

Everyone expected him to come in and make a mark. The players were intimidated by him, in a good way.

He could have used year 1 as the dictator everyone thought they were getting to make some harsh calls. To blow results up to actually set standards for the world class football program (he is so good at talking about).
wat? What would the dictator everyone thought they were getting have done differently?
sugar hit
What sugar hit was that?

Almost all of our wins before the bye were against current bottom 6 sides, excepting Melbourne without Gawn in Adelaide, 7th placed GWS and 8th placed Carlton.

You shouldn't have got a sugar hit from that. If anything it should have convinced you that even our "best 22" isn't all that good.

"Best 22" being our forward line minus Wright and our midfield minus Stringer, Heppell floating between wing and sub, Jones between forward and sub, and Langford between forward and back.

Since the bye we've dropped games against 11th, 12th and 15th which we probably would've liked to win.

When you look closer, that's Geelong in Geelong, Fremantle in Perth off our bye, and Sydney who should've beaten us by more than a point if Buddy didn't get hurt. And all that while our midfield was missing Draper, Stringer, Setterfield and Shiel.

If we're not a convincingly good team when we're in good health, then with injuries we're little more than hot garbage.

He has squandered the opportunity to make that mark for a sugar hit, to have a look at the list by playing a best 22 each week. It's young because there is no one else. He has been extremely conservative without the framework he has inherited.
What would you have done differently? Tank to avoid the sugar hit while playing Voss in every conceivable position at AFL level and hoping we don't destabilise the club and sack everyone except Dodoro for the third time in four years?

You can make all of the excuses in the world: got the job too late, needed to have a look, etc.
This has literally been the stated reality and KPIs for 2023 since he joined the club at the end of September last year.
But we're still where we are, conceding record rebound 50 scores to the worst side in 25 years.
What on earth are you talking about? What kind of record is that, who is counting and why? Stats without context are just data.
He should have spent time watching replays to catch up. The only thing we have achieved this year is that Perkins, Hobbs, Caldwell and a few others are a season closer to being able to carry us out of this mire on their shoulders.

The one thing Scott has been amazing at is rebranding the same old s**t.
What was he supposed to learn by watching replays of Essendon's games last year that would've made a difference?

We wanted to know things like;
  • whether the players failed in 2022 because of poor recruiting or some other factor
    • if Reid with further development can be one of our KPDs for the next ten years
    • if Jones with further development can be one of our KPFs for the next yen years
    • if McDonald-Tipungwuti can get back to his best and hold down a forward pocket for a couple more years
    • if Draper with further development could become a dominant ruck, or a second ruck/forward
    • if Caldwell with further development could become a dominant clearance player with strong defensive and attacking instincts
    • if Bryan with further development could be an exceptional tap ruck with a second string to rotate with Draper instead of a bench rotation
    • if Hobbs with further development could be a dominant contested mid, working well with Caldwell
  • whether the list build failed in 2022 because it's a bad list or some other factor
    • which position Cox is best in and whether he's more than just a freakish athlete
    • Perkins with further development could become a big mid or settle in the forward line
    • if Weideman would work well with Wright alleviating the need for Wright to play as a back up ruck
    • if the contested mids can possibly work together well or if we need more runners that will hold a spot in the structures and apply defensive pressure as part of the team when required
    • if the small mids can possibly work together well or if we have too many of them – and if Setterfield's size would straighten up the midfield, especially if Stringer is injured again
    • if Langford could fill the gap in defence, and if not where he should be playing and who else can fill that gap
    • if D'Ambrosio with further development could blanket a small forward as well as rebounding, or if we need another small lockdown defender.
    • With all that established, what our actual gaps are, what is superfluous, and how best to correct those issues.
  • whether the game plan failed in 2022 because it's a crap plan, poorly coached, or some other factor
    • Only way to know is to try and implement it, one layer at a time, and drill it over and over until they can do what is required in their sleep... then add another layer.
We never got to find out half of those things due to injuries, but you weren't going to confirm any of it by watching old tapes or dreaming about it either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

calm your farm bro! i was making a call back to when DERO and I were at a game and a dude was carrying on like you described so we called him on it and then his 12 year old son challenged me to a kickboxing fight.

you’ve got to call them on it!
You definitely deserved it.

Hepp is 31, he still has some ripper games but other times it's clear that he's well past his best.

McGrath on the other hand should be entering his prime but he's getting worse and worse. He peaked in that elimination final loss vs WCE.
I only watched the first quarter and a half - and we were getting on top when I left - but it did not seem to me that the poor play could be heaped on those two players. The skills were off across the team. Time and again the ball came out of defence and play broke down in the F50 because of poor skills of forwards and mids - a failure to make, or kick a sitter of a goal or a poor hand pass or kick to a player to set up the goal shot. The loss of Ridley was hard for the back 6 to cover.

Fun facts about today teams!

West Coke had 10 Premiership players today to our zero.
West Coke had a side with an average age of 24.4 to Dons 23.8.
West Coke had a side with an average game of 99.4 which ranked 3rd for the year. Dons side average games was 66.9 which ranked 14th for the year. The difference is 32.5 games advantage per player than the Dons.
Regardless how they have performed previously, todays side was older and more experienced than ours.
And we also didn't play to the standard we've set for ourselves, regardless of the opposition's makeup

As Eric Bischoff says “context is king”
We have had a ten win season which is likely to be an 11 win season.
I would have taken that at the start of the year.
My concern is that we are playing some blokes who are clearly paddlers and not playing some blokes who are young and might be better in time.
I think Baldwin for Laverde is a Monty.
I think Voss and Wanganeen deserve a shot.
When we looked like losing I thought we might finish low enough to nab Watson or Caddy. At least those blokes play with some flair.
i think what we do this off season will be intriguing.
I think Heppell needs to be moved on with a big farewell game against Collingwood.
I think AMT needs to be moved on in the same farewell game.
Lord and Stewart look like they will be moved on as well.
Then it gets interesting.
Having watched our seconds today Harley Reid would be fantastic.
Would Essendon have the courage to trade 1st round pick, Darcy Parish compo pick, 2nd round pick and a steak knife like Matt Guelfi to get the chance to get the kid?
you would hope so.
I suspect AFL is becoming a little like the NBA and you need to acquire a superstar or two and then build around it.
collingwood are doing that with the Daicos boys and Geelong did that with Cameron and Dangerfield.
Right now our best players are Jordan Ridley and Zac Merrett which leaves us significantly off the pace.

calm your farm bro! i was making a call back to when DERO and I were at a game and a dude was carrying on like you described so we called him on it and then his 12 year old son challenged me to a kickboxing fight.

you’ve got to call them on it!

You must have been relieved it was the 12 year old that called you out. They are so much easier to knock the f@rk out than a grown man. How did you drop him in the end?

Still better than an honourable loss.
It is and another minor point is generally we did lose this type of game in the last 10 or so years.

jmoo wan seen after the game.
beat up will ferrell GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back