Preview Official Preview - Melbourne vs. Richmond, Round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 22, while strangely not the last round of Season 2011, presents a last chance at redemption for the struggling Demons. A classic SDG - Season Defining Game.

Melbourne vs. Richmond, Sunday August 21st, 4:40pm at the MCG.

melbourne_new_emblem_200x247.jpg
vs.
image_mini

Last time they met:
the Dees went in as lukewarm favourites in Round 14 and eventually prevailed by 27 points, but not before the Tigers gave it a shake early. Moloney, Watts and Jones were amongst the best, Frawley dominated Reiwoldt, and Ricky got his tackle on to finish with 14.

Recent form:
Melbourne has an average losing margin of 91 over the last 4 weeks, but the second quarter has arguably cost us any chance of winning the last two games against Carlton and West Coast. Surely it's only a matter of time before we can string four decent quarters together.
Richmond had lost 6 in a row before Sunday's stirring win over Sydney. Admittedly Sydney has been in average form of late as well, especially at the MCG, but the win breathed some life into their otherwise shot season.

Implications:
Melbourne should be desperate to finally chalk up a win after the month from hell. It's a last-ditch effort to gain some respectability from the season, and if we win it will keep a slim chance of finals alive.
Richmond will be out to finally get one on the Dees, having lost 4 or 5 and been the recipients of the finest tanking we had to offer on the other occasion. Further, they want to show improvement from last year. While they are already in the black courtesy of a draw, lose this and their development is revealed as having stagnated somewhat.

Selection:
at Melbourne, several names are on the fans' collective chopping block. Sylvia, Davey and Morton are all out of favour at the moment, but there is a case to keep all 3 in the team. Tapscott was average at best before being subbed off, and Dunn was quiet. Pickings are slim at Casey though. Jetta was good, Jurrah could come back despite missing Saturday's game and Green is 50/50 to return from a mysterious late withdrawal. Other options would be to blood a kid or two - Tom McDonald's name has been bandied about for weeks now and he must be close to a debut.
It looks like being a stable team this week at Richmond, with Jake Batchelor being the only likely out with some form of injury. Reece Conca would probably be the man to come in if that was the case.

Teams:
Melbourne

B: Colin Garland, James Frawley, Clint Bartram
HB: Aaron Davey, Jared Rivers, Joel Macdonald
C: Sam Blease, Brent Moloney, Tom Scully
HF: Jack Trengove, Stef Martin, Jeremy Howe
F: Ricky Petterd, Jack Watts, Brad Green
FOLL: Mark Jamar, Colin Sylvia, Nathan Jones
I/C: Jamie Bennell, Cale Morton, Jordie McKenzie, Liam Jurrah,
EMG: Lynden Dunn, Neville Jetta, Daniel Nicholson

IN: Brad Green, Liam Jurrah, Jamie Bennell
OUT: Luke Tapscott (soreness), Lynden Dunn, Daniel Nicholson

Richmond

B: Bachar Houli, Alex Rance, Will Thursfield
HB: Brett Deledio, Jayden Post, Matt Dea
C: Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Shaun Grigg
HF: Daniel Jackson, Tyrone Vickery, Shane Edwards
F: Robin Nahas, Jack Riewoldt, Jake King
FOLL: Angus Graham, Shane Tuck, Nathan Foley
I/C: Mitch Morton, Mitchell Farmer, Jeromey Webberley, Brad Miller
EMG: Matthew White, Jamie O'Reilly, Ben Nason

IN: Jeromey Webberley
OUT: Jake Batchelor (shoulder)

Match-ups: they seem pretty straightforward in our backline given Frawley's good record on Reiwoldt. Other than that, Garland and Rivers will take Miller and Vickery.
In midfield, Jackson will likely tag Moloney again, and I would like to see Cotchin and Trengove go head-to-head on a wing... delicious. Who does Jordie go to? I reckon Martin would be the likely choice.
Which match-ups do you think we'll see up forward for us? I want Petterd playing a defensive role on Deledio or Houli.

Tactics: the Tigers came undone due to our relentless forward pressure last time. Ricky especially caused many a turnover coming off half-back. Do we go with similar plans again?

The crowd:
last time round the crowd was excellent - 62,000, a majority of whom were vocal Richmond fans who got annoyed at everything under the sun. This time it's a Dees home game, and in the graveyard slot of 4:40pm no less... ew. How many will be there? Will you?

Verdict:
it's a coin toss, I can barely pick a winner here. Dees by 12. Your thoughts?

Discuss. The (constructive) input of Tigers posters is more than welcome, and tends to add to the discussion.

Dunn will probably go to Dids.

Don't understand why you would drop Tapscott for Jurrah or Green - he's a near straight swap for Nicho really, and with Strauss gone it means you need to have defenders. Dunn for one of those two more likely.

I'd rather Green didn't come back, Davey dropped for Jurrah. We actually looked good apart from the 2nd qtr last week. Possibly Sylvia too, although no clue as to who to replace him with.

EDIT: wd again dcrock, quality

You would need to win for Todd to be an improvement on Bailey.

Under Bailey your record against bottom eight sides was exceptional with the exception of the North Melbourne game. That it doesnt translate to competetive performances against top five sides is not relevant this week.

All other games the other team has not challenged you.

You had our measure not long after half time, last time we met and we are only seemingly returning to the form we were in around that time.

Thanks for the write up dcrock. :thumbsu:

I don't think we can be confident of a win given our last month, but if I had to tip, I would take us for a few reasons.

a) I think we're ahead of the Tiges as a team in that iffy group of teams above the battlers at the very bottom and the 'making of the numbers' finals teams. Last time around we managed to slaughter the ball and waste a bunch of opportunities and still fall in.

b) After being exposed to 4 of the 5 class teams in the league this year (all of whom exert probably twice if not three times as much pressure on clubs as the rest of the league) I think the boys will notice that considerable drop off in intensity and be able to execute a little better because of it. I'm interested to see whether our butchering of the ball over the last couple of weeks was mostly due to that superior pressure (as I figure) or we really are that bad.

c) Tiges were impressive last week and winning form is good form, but from memory over the last two years against Richmond and Melbourne at the G they have 3 losses and 1 draw. They obviously don't like playing the G against struggling sides!

Think we should have just enough, but we obviously have been anything from consistent this year and who knows what the last month has done to the group.

At least this appears one of the few matches in recent weeks that looks evenly matched and hopefully both side's average press/pressure will make for an open, high scoring match.

Dees by 15 (keeping the faith :)).

Implications:
Melbourne should be desperate to finally chalk up a win after the month from hell. It's a last-ditch effort to gain some respectability from the season, and if we win it will keep a slim chance of finals alive.
Richmond will be out to finally get one on the Dees, having lost 4 or 5 and been the recipients of the finest tanking we had to offer on the other occasion. Further, they want to show improvement from last year. While they are already in the black courtesy of a draw, lose this and their development is revealed as having stagnated somewhat.

I'd debate this, if we win 1-2 of the next 3 we'd be about on par for where most of us thought we'd be at the end of the year.

Selection:

It looks like being a stable team this week at Richmond, with Jake Batchelor being the only likely out with some form of injury. Reece Conca would probably be the man to come in if that was the case.

Most of our board are expecting (hoping?) Farmer to be replaced too, by Newman if he's available.

Am I the only one who thinks we will belt them? On form we shouldn't but I just have a feeling that we will.

Wouldn't mind belting them though.

I reckon we're going to belt them too. If we don't im going to jump of a building, can't take losing to these guys since I know so many Richmond fans.

IF both teams play to their best we should have their measure easily.

Who is our leading goal kicker?
Who is our most talented player?
Who has lacked good delivery all year?

Now that we have seen some decent delivery into our forward line... we just need a forward that can finish off the good work...

BRING BACK LIAM JURRAH AND PLAY HIM AT FULL FORWARD!!!!

To the OP, I'll be there. Club gave me two free tickets! Some e-mail offer they sent out to any member who's attended five or more games this season. I sent in my interest in response, and I got em. AWESOME! <3 haha! :)

Who is our leading goal kicker?
Who is our most talented player?
Who has lacked good delivery all year?

Now that we have seen some decent delivery into our forward line... we just need a forward that can finish off the good work...

BRING BACK LIAM JURRAH AND PLAY HIM AT FULL FORWARD!!!!

I agree Jurrah should be our full forward but he is way to lazy. Viney has put him back to the VFL and told him to earn his spot back By putting in big efforts, it is disappointing not having our best goal scorer playing but This season is over, Jurrah will be a better player in the long run for this. Bailey was too soft on him and the rest of the team, at least Viney is hardening them up already.

i think it will be a shoot out , if we kick straight ,we will win ......if we kick like under10's .....lol ...will be lucky to be close ..dees by 5 pts

I'm beginning to love watching the Tiges vs the Dees just to see Riewoldt and Frawley do battle. Having gone right next to each other in the 06 draft it makes for compelling viewing.

So far Frawley looks to have had the wood on Riewoldt, but Jack's coming into some form. This might be the weekend where he finally comes out on top.

I can hope anyway. :D

As many have said already this match is a coin flip, I've tipped the Dees but my heart says Tiges by 3 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm beginning to love watching the Tiges vs the Dees just to see Riewoldt and Frawley do battle. Having gone right next to each other in the 06 draft it makes for compelling viewing.

So far Frawley looks to have had the wood on Riewoldt, but Jack's coming into some form. This might be the weekend where he finally comes out on top.

As many have said already this match is a coin flip, I've tipped the Dees but my heart says Tiges by 3 goals.

Good comment. Although Jack only got 2 himself last week he had a hand in quite a few others. If we can equal the spread of 10 goal kickers this week it would go a long way towards a win.

Teams are in:

Melbourne: Out: Tapscott (soreness)
In (from): Green, Jurrah, Bennell, Jetta

Richmond: Out: Batchelor (shoulder)
In (from): White, Webberley, Nason, O'Reilly

Who will make the final cut? I want to see a bench of McKenzie, Jurrah, Jetta and Morton.

It's also a replacement game for Richmond so we should see an extra 15,000 at the game. After our win on sunday the fans will be out, only downside is the twilight fixture.

The last time we met we didn't make the most of our start and the usual backline suspects butchered the ball out of defence mid way throught the first, which got highlighted even more under the Dees pressure.

If we can play with the same intensity as we did last week I think we'll be hard to beat.

I'm going to tip the Tige's but with no confidence.

Teams are in:

Melbourne: Out: Tapscott (soreness)
In (from): Green, Jurrah, Bennell, Jetta

Richmond: Out: Batchelor (shoulder)
In (from): White, Webberley, Nason, O'Reilly

Who will make the final cut? I want to see a bench of McKenzie, Jurrah, Jetta and Morton.

Just curious as to why you would have Morton on your bench? Not sure how this kid keeps getting a game? Out of the players on your bench, he would most likely (in Melbourne fashion) be the sub which i think is a fate worse than Bate.

In that sense, I'd rather have Jamie B as the sub. At least he is willing to take opponents on with pace - something I have not seen Morton do at all this season.

Just curious as to why you would have Morton on your bench? Not sure how this kid keeps getting a game? Out of the players on your bench, he would most likely (in Melbourne fashion) be the sub which i think is a fate worse than Bate.

In that sense, I'd rather have Jamie B as the sub. At least he is willing to take opponents on with pace - something I have not seen Morton do at all this season.

Yeah it's a big call, but I think they should and will give him the last 3 weeks in the team to see if he can get some momentum about him leading into 2012.
And although he got slammed after Sunday's game, I thought he wasn't our worst. He had a dip, and was let down by a couple of terrible turnovers.

What's a sure sign that Melbourne are switched on game day?
It used to be if we started off well, but the last two weeks we've done that and then gone to sleep for a quarter and a half. If our disposal efficiency is about 50% we should give you a half decent shake.

Bench: McKenzie, Jetta, Morton, Jurrah

Morton gets a horrible wrap from our supporters. Thought he had good passages of play last week. Against a developing side he should get a bit more leeway in terms of pressure and I feel he could thrive.

I have aheap of tiger mates who are very confident about winning this. I think they are dreaming. We have struggled this year against sides that have a fully formed press that doesn't allow us to play the run and carry. With a bit more space watch us get into a groove and pile on the goals. Quick through the ground to our forwards against an undermanned Tiger backline will see us beat them comfortably by about 5-6 goals.

Read my mind man. Both have a saints connection, next to each other in the draft, both number 8, both guns. Will be fun to watch for the next decade. For the record if we play half decent we should beat the tigers. Always a big if with us though I guess. We seem to be a level above those below us and nowhere near those ahead of us. Demons in a close one.

Funny,some of the posts in here about Richmonds form from melbourne supporters is amazing one sided :p. Fact out of the 12 loses this season Richmond have been in a winning position in 9 of them by the end of three quater time. That for me is a true indication of a developing team with a healthy team spirit.

Can you say the same thing about Melbourne ? Keep in mind your guys should be 1 year a head in the rebuild but by results it dosent look that way at the moment. Yes you guys have a greater depth of talent on your list but I fear the culture of endorsed tanking, forced retirments or trading of players who have bleed for the red and the blue has now come to roost.

Now im not going to reveal how I know this, Lets just say my work brings me into contact with the melbourne footy club but book mark this...at seasons end you will have 4 "rated" players demanding to be traded...there is huge problems at Melbourne and a majority of those problems are with in the list...Talented guys vs Workmen like players

Viney is trying to address it but IMO its a little to late

Richmond by 4 goals

Now im not going to reveal how I know this, Lets just say my work brings me into contact with the melbourne footy club but book mark this...at seasons end you will have 4 "rated" players demanding to be traded...there is huge problems at Melbourne and a majority of those problems are with in the list...Talented guys vs Workmen like players
:rolleyes:
Credibility = zero

Remove this Banner Ad

Back