Opposition Supporters say the darndest things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion = a belief, the objective truth of which can't be verified

Fact = an assertion that can be proven true or false

Opinion example: The film Titanic was overrated and was actually quite boring.

Fact example: The film Titanic has won the equal most Oscars of any film.

The former is an opinion because it can't be verified. It's based on belief and therefore can't be measured or proven true or false.

The latter is a fact because it can be proven true or false. In this case it is true, but if it was false then it would still be a fact, just not a true one.

If you were to say that Bont had a big nose then that would be an opinion. The reason it's an opinion is that there's no objective truth about what a big nose is. Everyone will have their own beliefs about what constitutes a big nose. However, if "big nose" was defined as a nose in the 90th percentile and above for length, then it becomes a fact because now it can be proven true or false.

If you were to say that Bont had a big nose then that would be an opinion. The reason it's an opinion is that there's no objective truth about what a big nose is. Everyone will have their own beliefs about what constitutes a big nose. However, if "big nose" was defined as a nose in the 90th percentile and above for length, then it becomes a fact because now it can be proven true or false.
So just because it’s provable, it is a fact that Marcus Bontempelli does not have a nose?

Is that the same as a FACT?

Asking for an epistemological friend.

It depends on the definition of fact that you subscribe to. I believe that under most definitions of "fact," it is a necessary condition that it is true. So if you were to say, "Bontempelli doesn't have a nose," it is a statement of fact but it only becomes a fact if proven true. But it's not an opinion, even if it is proven to be false.

It depends on the definition of fact that you subscribe to. I believe that under most definitions of "fact," it is a necessary condition that it is true. So if you were to say, "Bontempelli doesn't have a nose," it is a statement of fact but it only becomes a fact if proven true. But it's not an opinion, even if it is proven to be false.
Ah OK. We're on different trams.
I was referring to a Big Footy "FACT" where capitalisation is proof enough and renders any further discussion pointless.

On a separate but related note I've just bought a copy of Ed Coper's "FACTS* and other lies". Hoping it'll be a good read. Will let you know if it is.

But in this case it is only ‘proven’ to the people involved when they look in the history book and confirm the fact.

After about 5 minutes of Googling I’ve just read a few sources say that a ‘false fact is still a fact’. If that is indeed the case then I’m happy to concede that I have no idea what a fact is.
Sorry, but you can't have an opinion on a provable fact.

It can be a belief or a mistaken belief but the fact is still the fact.

It is a fact that Carbine won the Melbourne cup in 1890 and a fact that Phar Lap won it in 1930, but any discussion on the better horse becomes opinion as it is not provable.

Sorry, but you can't have an opinion on a provable fact.

It can be a belief or a mistaken belief but the fact is still the fact.

It is a fact that Carbine won the Melbourne cup in 1890 and a fact that Phar Lap won it in 1930, but any discussion on the better horse becomes opinion as it is not provable.
That wasn’t my point at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason Beveridge is so wound up at the moment and not in a good place mentally. He has come to the realisation his one coaching achievement is a lie and after getting overrun in the Grand Final last year, he is finding it difficult to come to grips that he will never actually coach his team to a flag.

Same reason so many Bulldogs supporters will continually defend the frees they get when they know they are just blatantly wrong. There will always be that knowledge eating away at them that 2016 stunk to the high heavens

Let's play a game of Sydney supporter or Melbourne supporter.

Sydney supporter paying $1.01.

Sydney had literal (or factual 😂) advantages such as COLA yet their flags aren’t tainted, but the dogs one is because of 12 more free kicks in a game we ended up dominating in the last quarter?

BF logic.

Just frequented the Sydney board and had a look at their post-game discussion. Couldn't believe it. Their obsession with the Bulldogs is a pathological illness. Some really nasty, bitter and twisted stuff being said.

Just frequented the Sydney board and had a look at their post-game discussion. Couldn't believe it. Their obsession with the Bulldogs is a pathological illness. Some really nasty, bitter and twisted stuff being said.
You really shouldn’t be surprised nothing but little sooks

As many of us have said in multiple threads, the umpiring conspiracy stuff is baffling. Why would the AFL not favour GC, GWS or even other interstate clubs who could do with a flag win to ensure eyeballs on the footy? No, they’re favouring a minor VIC club that they’ve never really shown any interest in promoting or supporting through an equitable fixture or any other levers?

Logic is completely out of the window.

As many of us have said in multiple threads, the umpiring conspiracy stuff is baffling. Why would the AFL not favour GC, GWS or even other interstate clubs who could do with a flag win to ensure eyeballs on the footy? No, they’re favouring a minor VIC club that they’ve never really shown any interest in promoting or supporting through an equitable fixture or any other levers?

Logic is completely out of the window.
Exactly. Plus they won't accept the explanation of more discipline in the coaching, tackling correctly, being first to the ball, better positioning, and that their players lack discipline, and many are bigheads who try to get away with stuff. Yet they can't come up with even one plausible reason for the AFL/umpires to favour us.

I explained patiently to one poster why three specific frees (alleged later by that scurrilous statement by the AFL) to Sydney that weren't paid during GF16 didn't mean they were deprived of three goals. I think he was starting to get it, but I can't be sure ;).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back