Our best 5 players since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

A few gens of posts ^!

Didn't think I'd read about Makepeace in top 5 cinvo but I have a feel better for it!!

I have a soft spot for Firrito not in terms top 5 in ability, but he's one of my favourites......

Apparently Makepeace is Heath Shaw’s favourite player. I’m not alone. <shrug.gif>

He still bats hard for north, Troy. I just love him as a person.

Read his wiki ;D

1.Carey
2.Cunnington
3.Harvey
4.Grant
5.Goldstein

HM: Martyn, Stevens, Archer, Wells, McKernan, Petrie, Simpson, Schwass

Personal favourites: Petrie, Wells, Goldie, Winnie, Cunners, S. Thompson, L.Thomas

Who will make this list looking back from 2030?: LDU, McKay (hopefully Thomas, Goater)

Last edited:

The thing about these lists is that if you rate player X above player Y, people tend to think you don't rate a player at all.

That said here are 5 players and everyone else is junk ;)
Carey
Schwass
- Consecutive BnF's when Carey was in his prime can't be sneezed at.
Stevens - Two BnFs during a very successful period. There was the saying in the 90s "No Carey No North", but the stats strongly support "No Stevens No North". Robert Harvey rated him as his toughest opponent when he was winning Brownlows.
Harvey - Played over several generations and was excellent over the journey.
Longmire - Averaged 77 goals a season (not a typo) from 1990 to the end of 1995 - all before he his 25 birthday and all while sharing a forward line with Carey and a bunch of other stars. That injury robbed him of agility but a true team player who adapted to other roles in the late 90s. Put Gary Hocking to shame in the shower at a State of Origin match. Serious gun who's career before injury is criminally overlooked.

Not sure if deliberate FootySmartSimpson, no Schwass even in HM's?
To explain: I arrived to AFL at age 9 when I moved to Tassie from NSW (I had no idea AFL even existed up there). This was in 1995 so I only have a couple of good Schwass years to go by. No doubt the guy was silky smooth and tough as nails.

McKernan dropped his knees to the back of the of John Barnes head, I was there and thought right at the time, he just cost himself a Brownlow.

Are you sure that's right? (maybe you are)

My recollection is he tripped an opponent by hand in the softest suspension of all time? (and AFL changed the rules after)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a free kick to me. The trip cost him the Rising Star.

Geez...it's a little hard to tell cos Simmo obscures the view, but it looks like the Geelong dude falls across Corey's right foot, causing Corey to stumble forward and land in said dude's head. Not sure what Corey was meant to do TBH.

Even the 50m penalty was rough given it was accidental, and given how many ear massages Micky Martyn handed out per game totally accidentally without punishment

Looks like a free kick to me. The trip cost him the Rising Star.

Just like Cunnington's incident; his leg got caught under the player, and tried to minimise the weight going onto his leg and avoid a leg break. Had no where to go really. Mitchell's flying elbow on Goldy was much worse.

Last edited:
Wells a very common omission in best 10s let alone top 5.

2 Syds and best first year player.

Wells a very common omission in best 10s let alone top 5.

2 Syds and best first year player.

By that measure Jy is in the Top 10.

I think that Schwass being overlooked is surprising. 2 Syds in a gun team when Carey was in his prime says plenty.

That he isn't Hall of Famer yet is criminal. Carved out more good footy at the Swans, bagging another B&F and AA. And if the shitbloke factor counts against guys like Carey and Ablett, then surely all the good stuff Schwatta has done should count in hs favour.

By that measure Jy is in the Top 10.

I think that Schwass being overlooked is surprising. 2 Syds in a gun team when Carey was in his prime says plenty.

That he isn't Hall of Famer yet is criminal. Carved out more good footy at the Swans, bagging another B&F and AA. And if the shitbloke factor counts against guys like Carey and Ablett, then surely all the good stuff Schwatta has done should count in hs favour.

Oh yes MM I'm not suggesting Wells should or shouldn't be.

He isn't in my top 5 (or 10) I was merely pointing out his record is quite impressive, plus he was electric on his day.

Totally agree on Schwatta. My thoughts exactly.

Remember the spray Pagan gave him and Archer after being suspended in the 97 Prelim (might be qrong)

Last edited:
I think Mick Martyn might be being underrated (including by myself)

Very rarely beaten, in a different era of footy with far less zoning etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back