Our best 5 players since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to be corrected but on sheer ability I believe Wells is easily top 5.

Maybe just me but I don't think Wells got near as much out of himself as he could have.

Jet at his best.
yeah, that final against *.....the "frank the tank one"....he lit it up, top of my head 33 touches and he he'd been out with OP for half the season or something and was very underdone. That said, was a real team effort, Sammy Wrights intercept, Drew's goals, Lindsay, and recall Dal having a day out too.

Leigh Brown
Shannon Watt
Sam Gibson
Aaron Black
Mason Wood

1. Carey. Destroyed teams and in my day, I took it for granted that it would happen every single Friday night. Because it did. He made watching footy an incredible experience for all of us 90’s kids.
Funny that he also single-handedly destroyed his own club too and forevermore since we’ve been referred to as the poor blue-collar battlers.
Thanks Wayne.
Thanks for the memories and I hope you sort your sh*t out. Ah, you’ll bounce back. Bygones are bygones. There’s no hard feelings here.

2. Boomer. Anything after this is splitting hairs but Harvey embodies everything we stood for particularly post 90’s: small, shouldn’t be succeeding, but constantly exceeds expectations. Much like us.
(Us poor, blue-collar battlers from 2002 - now)
Plus he’s the games record holder and the last BOG in state of origin. He’s our unique pint sized point of difference. Captained us and led the way during difficult times. Much like Wayne, who was first to be quadruple-teamed, Boomer often had to produce his best work being tagged by no-name hacks who would do nothing else but negate him in the most obscenely unsportsmanlike ways possible. It’s incredible he didn’t clobber someone into the next century, I would’ve.
Honestly, read Boomer’s book.
Then read it again.
Legend.

3. Archer. I’m biased because he’s a personal favourite but he was a consistent performer and what I loved about him most was that he was always a chance. Always. Didn’t matter who he played on, size, speed, Arch gave his all every time.
And has there been a better scowl at NM than the one Arch produced when he lost a contest? Martyn maybe. But old Mick had ‘resting lost a contest face’ at the best of times. Arch looked halfway between eating lemons and seriously contemplating killing the guy who marked over him.

4. Goldstein. It’s a ruck duel and I hate not choosing McKernan because his white-hot trot was indeed frightfully hot. But he was like the supernova that went kaboom.
I’m giving the ruck spot to Goldy because
A/ longevity - the longer he goes, the better he seems to be both within games and in his career overall
B/ he’s done it in an often third-rate midfield. He’s literally lifted the team across the line multiple times
Corey has his great years but then he went and ran under the ball a lot, bared his teeth, went to Carlton. I mean it didn’t end well, did it? He came back though and that’s all that matters. I like his tweets.
But yeah, nah, Goldy.
If for no other reason than his respectable ability not to kick JHF’s disrespectful little a55 at the break that time. And going on fox footy for an interview in 2022 if you’re a North player is braver than.. I can’t think. I’m waxing lyrical. I just love Todd.

5. Why did you leave me only five spots?
5a. Cunnington - class
5b. Grant - incredible
5c. King - mouth and running fast AF
5d. Blakey - mr consistent
5e. Sav - I ***ing loved the Sav
5f. Schwass - pivotal. And yeah thanks for leaving when you were getting a bit old and getting us Grant 🙌🏼
5g. Makepeace. I don’t care what you think, nobody looked more assured with the ball in hand and it’s a monumental travesty that he didn’t play 300 games.
If he took the kick-ins, I was happy. Got the ball in defensive 50 triple-teamed, I was confident. Kicked to someone free, through 8 oppo players, to the wing, making play? Yeah, every time. I trusted this bloke. Cooler head with even cooler tattoos. Troy is seriously, seriously underrated.
You don’t think I’m serious having him top 5? I am. The band Television only released 2 or 3 albums and they’re legendary. Troy only played 139 games and he is too.
He’s still a yuuuge fan of the club & demonstrates the same passion as me, an honest toiler, through his socialz….

.. and check out his (family’s) Family Feud appearance.

Honorable mentions:
Swallow, Martyn, Wells, Petrie, Pickett

Also:
Aaron Edwards, Jason Daniltchenko, Urch, Urquhart

Future #1: LDU

I love you all. Goodnight.

BTW not the only one Forever North just an observation, others agree with you which is all good
Arch still holds the record for the most courageous player award - the Bob Rose award iirc.

This is why its so hard to pick these five. Because the players have different qualities and while Arch might not be a pure silk footballer (tho his skils are underrated,) someone like Wells, who was silky as would have been up there with Duck if he played with the committment Arch showed at the contest. I'm not saying Wells was soft either, he wasn't but he did lack that killer instinct and if he had it he'd have been in the top five with us and all time.

(IMO obviously.)

Sometimes its commitment to win the contest that makes the best footballer. Especially in finals. Which is why I rate Turner and Jed higher than many other players.

And example of what i'm talking about is Martin v Danmgerfield in the 2020 GF. One guy went hard at it in that game and as a result is considered one of the best players of his time and all time. (The Norm Smith medals, multiple premierships and a Brownlow.) The other squibbed it and altho he won a flag this year, has just as much talent, maybe more, he won't be remembered in the same league in a generation.

A few gens of posts ^!

Didn't think I'd read about Makepeace in top 5 cinvo but I have a feel better for it!!

I have a soft spot for Firrito not in terms top 5 in ability, but he's one of my favourites......

This is a slight diversion to the purpose of the thread but I raise it as I found it hard to answer (my Brother is North too)

Somehow the discussion diverted to whether you'd rate Wells or Pickett higher when discussing our best players.

Brother went Wells (5th in his best), I chose Pickett.

thoughts?

ps; thank you for all the fantastic responses so far, great work.

This is a slight diversion to the purpose of the thread but I raise it as I found it hard to answer (my Brother is North too)

Somehow the discussion diverted to whether you'd rate Wells or Pickett higher when discussing our best players.

Brother went Wells (5th in his best), I chose Pickett.

thoughts?

ps; thank you for all the fantastic responses so far, great work.
Wow... difficult choice, thinking about it.

Will keep the thread running (unless Mods close it which is no worries)

Plenty of people away and disenchanted with our season i suspect!

Names in the mix and no, no tally yet just an observation of those who seem popular.

Carey
Harvey
Schwass
Archer
Stevens
Cunnington
Martyn
McKernan
Goldstein
Grant
Longmire
King

Breaking that into 5 (outside Carey) is really difficult so my question hopefully is interesting!

Thank you Mr Donkey (as per your prior request ; )

No Schwass is interesting (not saying you're wrong at all).

Man it’s tough, apart from Carey there’s no one that is automatic.

Edit- Archer also picks himself. He was a very good footballer, but I think his toughness shadows just how good of a footballer he was. Lovely kick, could go forward if he wasn’t blanketing someone.

Last edited:
Man it’s tough, apart from Carey there’s no one that is automatic.

Edit- Archer also picks himself. He was a very good footballer, but I think his toughness shadows just how good of a footballer he was. Lovely kick, could go forward if he wasn’t blanketing someone.

Totally agree mate hence made it top 5 not top 10, I did it myself so I settled on 5 as 10 easier (imo)

Totally understand on Archer, certainly a popular pick (he's not in mine) for the reasons you stated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have set us a very difficult and challenging task.

Carey
McKernan
Archer
Schwass
Stevens

I have gone with premiership players over non premiership players.

I have ; )

No Boomer. I also find him hard to place.

All good, as players listed fantastic so not questioning it in any way.

Its another one of those toughness vs silk situations with Wells and Choppy. Altho Chop had a fair bit of skill about him too.

Great point ferball

I actually think Choppy was underrated in his skill level.

Sure tough AF but he had plenty of natural ability too.

Wells I find so hard to rate - best silky and awesome.

Both very good players but my Bro has Wells as better but I think Pickett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back