Our best 5 players since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough ask. Apart from Carey it’s pretty even.
Yeah. Four spots.

Winnie was a gun. For a few years Higgo was incredible. Schwatta was an absolute weapon. So was Spitta. Most people don't have any of those four. I'd definitely have Schwatta in there. His insane attack on the ball (or player) set the tone for that side I reckon.

So I guess that's one of the four spots gone.

Schwatta is one of my all time favorite players.

Same.

Remember in 97 (I could be wrong) when Schwatta and Archer both out suspended and we lost. (Carey injured)

Pagan was FURIOUS.

Preliminary against Saints (again i could be wrong as I regularly am!!)

Archer in many top 5s.

Not "wrong" as it's opinion but Archer not in the conversation.

hmmmm interesting exercise...Boomer won 5 Syd Barkers....what is also intersting is how we rate our "best players" vs how the coaches do for players performing their role in any one season...eg/ Brawlings 3 Syd Barkers.

Personally:
Carey, McKernan, Boomer, Cunners, Archer.....

Love to include Schwatter and Shagger in there as well who funny enough we traded one for the other.....win win for both clubs.

Also back to "role players" I'd have to give special mention to a player that few would even consider on here but he bled blue and white, one of my all time favourite players, AND probably one of the best small forwards in the history of the club, and probably the best since 1990,,,Lindsay Thomas. Guy kicked 32 goals in just his second season, kicked a bag of 7, 6 and multiple bags of 5. Who'd forget his opening few minutes lighting up the semi against geelong 2014? Career best of 53 goals in the 2013 season. Yet if you google his name all that comes up is hits on selwood, ducking, and a bunch of negative stuff......the media hounded the guy, yet he was tough and resilient.....I personally rate him on par or better than Charlie Cameron for example who the media love.....different times.
Great shoutout to Lindsay Thomas! That game against Carlton where he kicked 7...unplayable. That game was the closest to a Carey-like dominance from a North player since The King himself. Yes that includes Petrie and Brown monster games.

Carey
Harvey
Goldstein
Stevens
Archer

At his absolute best no one better to watch than Wells. Should’ve been a top shelf, A grade, primo, uber superstar.

Thank you for your post.

Just a question and no "right or wrong" but how does Archer reach your top 5?

Thank you for your post.

Just a question and no "right or wrong" but how does Archer reach your top 5?
Archer put the fear of God into the opposition. Was worth a few goals head start I reckon. Had so much respect from opposition fans which says a lot. The hardest of hard-arses. Just so reliable every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Archer put the fear of God into the opposition. Was worth a few goals head start I reckon. Had so much respect from opposition fans which says a lot. The hardest of hard-arses. Just so reliable every week.

Yeah he did, fair call and no worries, absolute star but can't have him top 5.

Pickett was a gun for the same reason as opponents scared before they even laced their boots up.

Happy to be corrected but on sheer ability I believe Wells is easily top 5.

Maybe just me but I don't think Wells got near as much out of himself as he could have.

Jet at his best.
I always felt that Wells untagged looked as good as anyone. But he was too easily impacted by a tag.

Being able to beat a tag is a primary skill for that type of star player. Its like a key forward who can't kick straight.

Same.

Remember in 97 (I could be wrong) when Schwatta and Archer both out suspended and we lost. (Carey injured)

Pagan was FURIOUS.

Yep, 97 Prelim. Loudest crowd I’ve ever been at, including half a dozen GFs.
Those 2 suspensions, Carey playing with one arm and McKernan had his shoulder badly injured early by some saints no-name trying to put him through the fence early in the game.

Same.

Pagan was FURIOUS.

Ditto, loved Schwatta and was also my favourite. I was lucky enough to run around in number 2 for a couple of years in the Seniors for my Amateurs team during the ‘90s and loved it that I shared the number with Schwatta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto, loved Schwatta and was also my favourite. I was lucky enough to run around in number 2 for a couple of years in the Seniors for my Amateurs team during the ‘90s and loved it that I shared the number with Schwatta.

Would have been a great experience for sure!

Lucky for some! Schwatta my favourite player but couldn't put him above those other guns.

McKernan is hard to rate.

His best was awesome, hie worst was terrible.

I can't have him as a top 5 (or ten) just as purely his peak was far too short.

Archer in many top 5s.

Not "wrong" as it's opinion but Archer not in the conversation.

Arch is hard to place. I ended up putting him in my top 5. The thing that swung it for me was that as much as he established his name as a hard nosed defender he could
have been anything as a permanent forward. He kicked 148 goals from 311 matches and at an average of just under a goal a fortnight - not bad for a bloke who everyone rates for his defensive attributes. However, it gets more interesting when you dive a bit deeper and think about much (or little) time he played forward over his career.

He actually scored his 148 goals in 94 matches. If we assume in those 94 matches he played full time as a forward then his average goals per game (as a forward) is ~1.6 goals per or 35 in a 22 game season.

The reality is however that he was often sent forward to pinch hit and a lot of his goals also came from drifting forward whilst playing from half back, so in reality his efficiency based on time playing as a pure forward would be even higher than 1.6.

He scored 3 goals or more on 13 occasions, and in 1995 he kicked 28 for the season and in our 1996 Premiership year when he won the Norm Smith for his defensive efforts, he kicked 24.

Particularly during the 90s, Arch was one of many offensive options Pagan had if he needed to shift the magnets - think also Roberts, Sholl, Crocker, Fairley.

What amazing player and clubman he was! I wonder what he thinks about the sooky little kid who ran back home to mummy …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shermanator and the rest of our North crew, you can absolutely pin the 98 GF loss on my ehaviour.

As underage (I was 17) got my slightly older mate to get me a Cuban.

At half time, should be way further in front sure, but dominating........

.......hence I kicked back, lit up the Cuban, gave a few people a spray on North, and celebrated our impending win.

Yeah, so, sort of not a really good or smart move.

Sorry all.
You Bastard!...... in 96 I was on the fence behind the goals at the punt road end, and I reckon it wasn't until 5 minutes to go that I actually relaxed and enjoyed the game.....thankfully in 98, I was on the island of Corfu building international relations with a couple of waitresses ...and found out the result from some f%&ktard * fan from Werribee of all places bashing on the door excitedly to tell me the result.....I do recall smiling and thinking fk I made the right call on that after all!.....(still can't remember how I ended up meeting old mate from Werribee on the other side of the world).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back