Best version of our theme song?

Which version of our theme song do you like the most?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've always favored the rendition of our theme song that was played in the lead up to when we enter the field in the Grand Finals from the 90's. It's got the faithful, correct lyrics but with a more modern, up beat tempo. Even in the 1999 Grand Final when we dropped the 'North Melbourne' tag and were only referred to as 'Kangaroos' - in the pre-game theme song it still included the original 'North Melbourne' lyrics as you can listen to bellow.

I have a 1967 version, sung by Smacka Fitzgibbon (google him.) The Herald and Weekly Times Ch 7 and 3DB group put out EPs (google it) for every club that included the theme song, history of the Club (voiced by 3 DB's Don Kinsey) plus an unsung jazz version and a dance version of the song. I put my hard earned 50c on the counter, accompanied by some tokens out of The Herald and came home very proud to be able to play it on our new family record player (@45rpm- google it.) Went to arrange a photo to attach but realised I lent it to my nephew a few years ago. Some of the other seniors on the forum might recall and even have one too. From memory the Smacka version was played at our home matches for a while before the Fable version took over in the mid 70s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back