Our best 5 players since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that it's opinion but this seems a strange one. We all love Cunners, but Boomer is a 4 time all-Australian and 5 time Syd Barker Medallist. Cunners has never been all-Aus and has 2 Syds playing in weaker teams.

I'll interpret "best" as meaning who would you pick playing at their best, rather than longevity.

1- Carey
2- McKernan
3- Boomer
4- Archer
5 - Stevens

If Boomer had played for Collingwood or Carlton he'd be spoken about in revered tones that acknowledged his Hall of Fame level of ability over and above his games played record.

No way I can give you my five best over such a long period. I won't even attempt that.

Micky Martyn did a stella job but won't get a mention. I'll go ten best and the ones that made going to the footy well worth it for me, these guys all had or have something special and are etched into my memory.

1. Wayne Carey- no explanation required.
  2. Brent Harvey- knew his limitations as well as he did his strengths. There isn't much he didn't achieve.
1666231259639.png

3. Peter Bell- that is just crazy numbers and so consistent.

1666231571334.png
1666231480278.png

4. Corey McKernan. - in his second season, played 21 games, kicked 22 goals, 110 marks, 190 HO & 300 disposals lol. We've guys currently in our top five B&F not getting near that output.

oh well

5. Wayne Schwass- so silky but tough asF

6. Bryon Pickett- just imagine his opponent the night before the game, it would have been akin to being told you're off to the Eastern Front tomorrow. No words would have been spoken but you knew that your family knew you probably wouldn't return.

7. Winston Abraham- Ohhh Bruce would agree.

8. Archer- no words needed.

9. Cunnington ( Cunners you took Stevo's spot)

10. Grant

So yep they'd all be in my team of the period we're discussing.

Corey didn’t even win the B&F in ‘96, but I still think it’s the greatest single season I’ve seen from a North player. For a brief period there he looked superior to Carey.

I reckon Schwass is criminally underrated in North lore.

One of my Uncles loved Schwass so much that he insisted that Grant was no good for the whole time he was playing lol. He just wouldn’t recognise how good Grant was.

Shane Clayton
John Baird
Joe McLaren
David Calthorpe
Digby Morell

I could go on.

I get that it's opinion but this seems a strange one. We all love Cunners, but Boomer is a 4 time all-Australian and 5 time Syd Barker Medallist. Cunners has never been all-Aus and has 2 Syds playing in weaker teams.

Yes that point is noted as have others posters made similar comments.

To me Harvey was a star obviously and on achievements clearly in front of Cunners.

Maybe I'm underselling Boomer as I just felt he was more icing than cake and that Cinners record in terms of win loss when he hasn't played shows how important he is.

Again, good discussion.

Agree,,,I was gutted when we traded him...but was stoked at picking up shagger as well....shame we couldn't have both in the same team. I had the privilege of having a photo taken with some mates Schwatter and the Cup at the social club after the 96 win, I think it was the Tuesday or Wednesday after and I don't think a sould was sober yet. Also reckon he, mckernan, kingy, or arch all would have been worth norm smith medalists in 96.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Carey
2 Boomer
3 Martyn
4 Schwass
5 Archer

Purely taken from the point of view that these guys gap between best and worst was so small that you knew that they would win their position on most days. Yeah Mick got stitched by Lockett on occasions but who didn't. All of them just great competitors. Watching the Schwass highlights just brought back how complete a footballer he was and how good 90s football was.

Carey
McKernan
Harvey
Grant
Cunnington

5 is a bit tough, we had a lot of great players in the 90s, I think if we had Cunners in the 90s... we would have won 4 or 5 flags, assuming we didn't kick like we did in 98...

Carey
McKernan
Harvey
Grant
Cunnington

5 is a bit tough, we had a lot of great players in the 90s, I think if we had Cunners in the 90s... we would have won 4 or 5 flags, assuming we didn't kick like we did in 98...
Look Around Ok GIF by Bounce

Don't want to put more misery upon us (we have enough going on) but.........

.......Longmire.

If not for his knee injuries I suspect many top 5s would include Horse.

Shermanator and the rest of our North crew, you can absolutely pin the 98 GF loss on my ehaviour.

As underage (I was 17) got my slightly older mate to get me a Cuban.

At half time, should be way further in front sure, but dominating........

.......hence I kicked back, lit up the Cuban, gave a few people a spray on North, and celebrated our impending win.

Yeah, so, sort of not a really good or smart move.

Sorry all.

Last edited:
Archer to me is a difficult one.

Hugecrespect as a player but I'd put Martyn above him.

Neither in my top 5 but both have strong claims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back