our captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally think he needs to prove how good of a leader he is by stepping down.

Rory to take over and Matt VC. Tom Lynch can piss right off if he thinks he is a captains dickhole.

Tex's form has been so inconsistent anx while injuries have ravaged this year for him, in truth he hasnt been the same player we thought he was for years.

But more than that I think Tex is part of an AFC with serious branding issues. Its all well and good to be that hated captain (by opposition) if you back it up with great footy, but he has too often gone missing in games. Selwood is an example of a player who a lot of people hate, but is just so good.

Tex has let his frustration get the better of him several times over the course and given away silly frees becsuse he has decked a bloke or gotten that suspension a couple of weeks ago. It just doesnt help the team.

At the time I was very defensive of Tex with his postGF speech, but in hindsight I think it was pretty poor. I am sure it was because he was so gutted but I think it helped contribute to a real branding problem.

This season we have been absolutely bollocked by the media and oppo fans - Tex is central to this.

The speech, the Lever incident, the form, the thuggery.

All of it is excusable if times are good - but become an indictment when times are bad.

We dont have to be peoples favourite team - but the media harrassment would surely take a toll on the whole club. Its just been negatives all year.

Some of it isnt Texs fault - Im not suggesting that. But history has happened - I think he would be remembered as a heart and soul captain, but I think he needs to know time is up.

I would love it if AFC did a little mini-rebrand and I think Sloaney is a popular player throughout the footy world and a good image for the club.

Doesnt mean he cant still be a leader in the club.

Ideally Id love that rebrand to include Burton getting the door but thats another story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back