Opinion Our Current Rebuild Will Ultimately Fail - Prove Me Wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

No club ever chooses or wants to sign for 5 years (or longer). Such deals are always to the advantage of the player

They reflect players leverage. And if the club was levered into 5 years then it’s not unreasonable to think it was for decent coin too
Scotty Pippen?

Sometimes a player just has their own reasons for wanting security.

Pretty concerning that none of our 2019 draftees are getting games atm. With three picks in the top 30 that year, it is a bit s**t.

Pretty concerning that none of our 2019 draftees are getting games atm. With three picks in the top 30 that year, it is a bit s**t.
its been a bit s**t for a while. I was looking over the corws ladder position over the years and from my poor counting the longest finals drought the team has had has been 3 years. this will be crows 5th year in a row with out making the finals, and the chances of them making next year are slim. this period has been the worst drafting and development period we have ever had. jesus our drafting under the tippet sanctions was better.

its been a bit s**t for a while. I was looking over the corws ladder position over the years and from my poor counting the longest finals drought the team has had has been 3 years. this will be crows 5th year in a row with out making the finals, and the chances of them making next year are slim. this period has been the worst drafting and development period we have ever had. jesus our drafting under the tippet sanctions was better.
And when you look at the list holes it’s pretty damming. We have all focused on our need for mids but our key defence and forward forward stocks are thin as is our developing ruck stocks.

But hey, Hamish is untouchable

2 of those years were impacted by COVID-19 (particularly the 2020 session) and that's why we are only now starting to see the development of the youngsters in the SANFL coming though, they are playing very well and why we are equal top with our only loss to one of the premiership favourite after leading by 7 goals at half time.

A lot of cockroaches people at the club have survived all this too.

******* too many, if you ask me.

And when you look at the list holes it’s pretty damming. We have all focused on our need for mids but our key defence and forward forward stocks are thin as is our developing ruck stocks.

But hey, Hamish is untouchable
Very bullish on Thilthorpe and Gollant, Himmelberg show he can perform under the pressure of a Showdown (big question mark around his consistency still) and Newchurch isn't far off a debut. McAsey isn't yet a complete write off given his performance in the SANFL this year and Worrell isn't far off a senior call up. Murray was quite good against Brisbane had he taken those marks, it was slippery and he usually has sticky hand and with a big kick he has potential.

I just posted this in the "Has Nicks lost the players thread" however it may fit here just as well.

Perhaps the issue is also the lack of development of our list. We have recruited arguably the best fitness guy so that should not be a problem in future seasons - we also employ a large number of AFL past players an yet our young recruits either stall or go backwards...
MCasey
Fogarty
Jones starting to show something now
Worrell promised games got nothing
Schoenberg the great hope heading backwards in 22
Pedlar not sure what we are doing with his yoyoing
Himmelberg plays a couple of good games a season which he was capable of in 2018/19
McHenry his 2020 statistics are nearly identical currently to 2022
Thillthorpe dropped to SANFL after playing one game this year.

None of these players have had break out development or huge improvement - perhaps it's our recruiting perhaps its our development of those recruited.

We seem to have stalled that could be Nicks or it could be we simply don't have the right players...

2 of those years were impacted by COVID-19 (particularly the 2020 session) and that's why we are only now starting to see the development of the youngsters in the SANFL coming though, they are playing very well and why we are equal top with our only loss to one of the premiership favourite after leading by 7 goals at half time.
The SANFL is going well, no argument from this end about that. the problem that I have is that the amount of elite players is next to none. yes covid hurt some people but for others it gave them opportunities that they could have run with Mcasey, hamill and Scholl were given senior games they didnt earn, Fog got more game time etc. My concerns go beyond covid look at who we drafted before that. do you remember all of the conversations about galluci. there are some hard working battlers who do a good job in the SANFL but i dont see superstars coming through. and thats what scares me, because it means that there is no premiership tilt in coming years. but hey i would love to eat humble pie, so lets see

The SANFL is going well, no argument from this end about that. the problem that I have is that the amount of elite players is next to none. yes covid hurt some people but for others it gave them opportunities that they could have run with Mcasey, hamill and Scholl were given senior games they didnt earn, Fog got more game time etc. My concerns go beyond covid look at who we drafted before that. do you remember all of the conversations about galluci. there are some hard working battlers who do a good job in the SANFL but i dont see superstars coming through. and thats what scares me, because it means that there is no premiership tilt in coming years. but hey i would love to eat humble pie, so lets see
I'm very bullish with the youngsters coming though, they might not be elite but a few potential A graders there. Gallucci had the attribute of a professional and athletic player with speed who Pyke wanted, clearly lacked dedication after being drafted as evident from Godden's public criticism of him and no AFL giving him even a rookie spot on their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of cockroaches people at the club have survived all this too.

******* too many, if you ask me.
it needs be a results based business. and i feel drafting for the crows is based so much on is the guy a hard working bloke who loves his mom. and dont get me wrong i love the no dickhead rule that sydney have but we should be a club that nurtures growth.

So from my eyes its a simple process to evaluate our drafting. every year the club should have had their recruiters give their top 60 picks, they should be ranked and have simple breakdowns. over a couple of years you could easily see what the club is missing and what trends are occurring. right now blind freddie could see the club cant draft an elite mid to save its life and the 4-5 years of very high draft picks have been crap.

For a club that has finished outside of the 8 for 6 out of the last 9 years, and being in the bottom 4 for the last 3 years you would expect the young players to be awe inspiring but instead they are meh.

I'm very bullish with the youngsters coming though, they might not be elite but a few potential A graders there. Gallucci had the attribute of a professional and athletic player with speed who Pyke wanted, clearly lacked dedication after being drafted as evident from Godden's public criticism of him and no AFL giving him even a rookie spot on their list.
my argument is not a recruitment vs development one it is simply a results based one. Its not working we lack elite young players and as result we are a middling side that will finish bottom 4 this year, and likely to be there next year. we can argue into we are blue in the face about why a player didnt do well but the reality is they didnt. Right now Galluci, Milleria et al were s**t picks.

my argument is not a recruitment vs development one it is simply a results based one. Its not working we lack elite young players and as result we are a middling side that will finish bottom 4 this year, and likely to be there next year. we can argue into we are blue in the face about why a player didnt do well but the reality is they didnt. Right now Galluci, Milleria et al were s**t picks.
Milera is coming back from serious injuries in consecutive years. You need to follow the SANFL on the young players developing, who knows one of those potential A grader might surprise you and develop into an elite player.

I have issue with people talking about Milera as a “s**t pick”. He was looking like AA standard just a few years back prior to the recurring injuries that have kept him on the sidelines. If you’re referring to “results based” then he’s more “a good pick crueled by recurring injuries.” He’s going to be somewhat rusty this year, but this is expected of someone coming back from long term injuries. A fit and firing Milera I have no doubts will fit snuggly in our best 22.

Milera is coming back from serious injuries in consecutive years. You need to follow the SANFL on the young players developing, who knows one of those potential A grader might surprise you and develop into an elite player.
As i said happy to be proven wrong, and i keep an eye on the SANFL but im not seduced by good games in the SANFL for people like Billy. have a look at most of the elite players in the league and you will see trends that occur, these are things like standout games early in their career, destroying it in the twos or some intangible that makes you stand up and go wow. we dont have those types of players right now, so we discuss middle of the road players until they get delisted and then we argue about how they could have been good if they played in the 70's or if they were more professional. results are the same.

I have issue with people talking about Milera as a “s**t pick”. He was looking like AA standard just a few years back prior to the recurring injuries that have kept him on the sidelines. If you’re referring to “results based” then he’s more “a good pick crueled by recurring injuries.” He’s going to be somewhat rusty this year, but this is expected of someone coming back from long term injuries. A fit and firing Milera I have no doubts will fit snuggly in our best 22.
I think that it is hard sometimes to separate the person from the pick. Its like Davis, from all reports he is a great bloke who would give you the shirt of his back, great trainer and he makes a great brekkie. but sadly he is not a great footballer. Milleria in many respects is the same but the reality is that he isnt elite, he has shown glimpses and got my blood flowing a couple of times but there has never been a breakout game where he took a good team to task. think charlie cameron in the prelim final. you said "he will fit snuggly in our best 22" so what, a high rated draft pick will fit snuggly in a bottom four side, that shouldnt be the measure of success. This is the problem we as a club have we look to justify being crap at recruitment and development. one side argues that is recruitment while the other argues about development, but the results stay the same.

As i said happy to be proven wrong, and i keep an eye on the SANFL but im not seduced by good games in the SANFL for people like Billy. have a look at most of the elite players in the league and you will see trends that occur, these are things like standout games early in their career, destroying it in the twos or some intangible that makes you stand up and go wow. we dont have those types of players right now, so we discuss middle of the road players until they get delisted and then we argue about how they could have been good if they played in the 70's or if they were more professional. results are the same.
These are the youngsters coming through who have a higher ceiling them Frampton.

These are the youngsters coming through who have a higher ceiling them Frampton.
my point was that SANFL results are sometimes skewed. Frampton has had lots of good SANFL games but we all know he is a plodder at best when it comes to AFL level. my point is that we are grasping at straws. outside of Thilthorpe and Rachelle the crows dont have B+ to A+ players coming through. that is an indictment on the club after years of high picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back