Opinion Our most exciting player

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure on what evidence you would put Will Phillips. Underwhelming for me in these early days. Give him a year or three to show his wares.

Its true, I would have drafted McDonald ...

Genuinely asking how you are Phillips as underwhelming?

You mean from training so far or his underage games?

TBH he's been solid at training but not nearly as dominant as a walsh or rowell was in their preseason.
Maybe his training style or the way we're playing him but so far he's not presenting as an absolute god midfielder of the game.

TBH he's been solid at training but not nearly as dominant as a walsh or rowell was in their preseason.
Maybe his training style or the way we're playing him but so far he's not presenting as an absolute god midfielder of the game.

He looked pretty good today. Not dominant, but busy and neat with ball in hand. Don’t forget, he’s coming up against some hardened bulls in there.

Nick Larkey. I just like big power forwards and he is our best one. As much as great smalls bring excitement, nothing for me anyway, is as good as you main man taking a pack mark or being hit on the lead and kicking it from 50. browns 10 goals against port was the most excited I had been since the 15 finals series.

He’s quick enough. Strength is going to be his enemy initially I reckon. He’s a solid kid, but a kid nonetheless.

Ok on speed. Just seems to run strangely but it's hard to tell pace on clips rather than in person

I reckon he's tougher than we think.
Tried to find footage of Liam Ryan copping a massive knock that bounced him of the boundary fence at Subi . KH ran from the square at full pace and copped him just inside the line and the guy flew a good 40+cms of the ground. Liam got up and bounced on. Liam was a stick figure, but tough. That's how they train at Subi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d vote for The Bull on today’s evidence. Looks primed. Corr was imperious in defence today, but Z swatted him like a fly in one contest.

Don’t forget, he had back surgery before last preseason. Looks to be well and truly over that. And the mullet is flowing.

Does his body shape look better.

Interesting comment on Philips from Corr in a recent interview about him taking a defensive mark in the D50 and reducing pressure on the backs. He seemed pretty impressed by him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nick Larkey. I just like big power forwards and he is our best one. As much as great smalls bring excitement, nothing for me anyway, is as good as you main man taking a pack mark or being hit on the lead and kicking it from 50. browns 10 goals against port was the most excited I had been since the 15 finals series.

The style we had for most of last year was the exact opposite of conducive to Larkey's game (particularly off an interrupted season). He's a decent mark, an exceptional and at the moment generational kick for goal and has amazing smarts / body positioning for his weight. Dropping it on his head for the next 5 years would be a ticket to early retirement. I reckon a fast, aggressive, high scoring gameplan will suit him to a tee because he is great at reading the play and great at outpositioning athletically superior players. Hoping for him to stamp himself this year and show we can build a long term forward line around him.

Interesting comment on Philips from Corr in a recent interview about him taking a defensive mark in the D50 and reducing pressure on the backs. He seemed pretty impressed by him.

do you remember what interview that was mate? ive been trying to follow them all but i dont recall hearing that.

edit: dont worry. someone just bumped the corr thread and i found it. in case anyone else was interested: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=781048

Last edited:

I know its picky given the early days, but on some of the highlight clips I thought he spooned up his kicks a bit into the forward line.
Maybe 'underwhelming' is a bit harsh, but it was said in relation to the Ziebull putting him as the most exciting player on the list, after a month of training.

I know its picky given the early days, but on some of the highlight clips I thought he spooned up his kicks a bit into the forward line.
Maybe 'underwhelming' is a bit harsh, but it was said in relation to the Ziebull putting him as the most exciting player on the list, after a month of training.

Yeah cool.

I'm as excited as Phillips as most but he reminds me a tad of Daniel Harris more than a Dusty or Nathan Fyfe.

However that's on extremely limited vision and not in person so it means very little.

That Zurhaar bump and collect is a thing of beauty.

Perfectly executed.

do you remember what interview that was mate? ive been trying to follow them all but i dont recall hearing that.

edit: dont worry. someone just bumped the corr thread and i found it. in case anyone else was interested: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=781048

Tried recalling of how mids who has regularly been doing this, our wings in Dumont and Polec probably but outside of Higgins it’s not a strength I remember from existing mids at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back