Prediction Our next Captain: plant your flag!

Who should Captain the Saints in 2017?

• Nick Riewoldt. Forever.

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • Leigh Montagna

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jarryn Geary

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • David Armitage

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Jack Steven

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • Maverick Weller

Votes: 74 35.9%
  • Jack Newnes

Votes: 40 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He meant "need" in the context of which he was replying, in order to make the situation of having a gay captain happen.

Well it wasn't terribly clear until his next comment...and by then I had already replied.

Like the idea of co captain Riewoldt and weller for 1 year (like a handover) . Dunno if it would work though

Whatttttt I'm the only one who's Opted for Monty? * me he's been there forever and despite what some think he has a go and is still best 22. He isn't scared to say a word and when he does he does it well. Give him his dues for *s sake. Still a ?Saints champ.

There was a period of time when a friend of mine was training with the Saints during pre-season, which was just prior to the drafts taking place in 2013. It is during this time that player will train with the club in an attempt to prove themselves for selection, so, barring the young players that had already returned, everyone was effectively competing against each other for the limited spots. It was during these training sessions that one person tended to stand out a little bit more than others - vocal, motivating, and also very helpful; he was more or less coaching the other guys with little tips, particularly around stoppages. As I said, since this was a competitive environment, then helping out others could jeopardised your own chance of being drafted, but that didn't seem to matter to this guy, as he handed out quite remarkable tips that he learned from none other than Ablett, himself.

Of course, no points for guessing that they guy I'm talking about is Weller. He seems to be a natural leader in a number of aspects; able to teach, gets along with his peers, lead by example, etc etc. That's why I'd most prefer him if Riewoldt was to step down. Newnes seems a similar type, however his playstyle is more unassuming and perhaps not quite as capable of doing a particular act that would help motivate opponents like Riewoldt so often does with big marks, efforts, and goals, or how Mav has done a few times already.

Plot twist: the friend of yours was Weller himself and you know this story because you are Mav. :p

Whatttttt I'm the only one who's Opted for Monty? **** me he's been there forever and despite what some think he has a go and is still best 22. He isn't scared to say a word and when he does he does it well. Give him his dues for ****s sake. Still a ?Saints champ.
Don't really see the point in giving it to someone who will be retiring at around the same time as Rooey anyway tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there's not an obvious choice (and there isn't - at least not purely from the perspective of the outside looking in) - and we possess probably the greatest leader in our clubs history with a year left minimum (probably 2) - why wouldn't he go again?

I'd love to see Nick hand it over to a Newnes or Steven at the end of 2017, Steven will only be 28 and will have learnt much more in 12 months given he is only new in a leadership role as it is, or alternatively Newnes will be a more experienced candidate and will have hopefully been groomed for it if that's the intention of the club.
There's no point rushing this.

I am picking Jack Steven. Just think Steven is a quiet achiever type who will grow more with the added responsibility.

Second choice will be Geary. He appears to be the more extroverted type - so on the other spectrum will not be afraid to say what he thinks.

I can see why everyone wants maverick, and he is my favorite player too now since Lenny retired, but I see newnes as the next bloke to capt
He has that Steve Smith look about him, he looks like a capt and his output is great
Maverick is the next Lenny hayes
Newnes is the next capt

Whatttttt I'm the only one who's Opted for Monty? **** me he's been there forever and despite what some think he has a go and is still best 22. He isn't scared to say a word and when he does he does it well. Give him his dues for ****s sake. Still a ?Saints champ.
I did think once that Joey was a leader in waiting about 5 or so years ago.

But I have found his mindset too negative and petty, which is amusing and not everyone can be Anthony Robbins, but its not what you need from your skipper.

A captain should lead by example, inspire others to follow and as good as our young group is starting to be I think Nick should keep the captaincy at least one more season as nobody sets a better example at this time, even on one good knee only.

as for beyond that I think if Jack Steven can continue his progress he may just be the next man in line that people will follow.

I can see why everyone wants maverick, and he is my favorite player too now since Lenny retired, but I see newnes as the next bloke to capt
He has that Steve Smith look about him, he looks like a capt and his output is great
Maverick is the next Lenny hayes
Newnes is the next capt
Really though Lenny would've 100% been captain if he was on a team with anyone but Roo I reckon.

This time last year Armitage was probably the favourite but his form has dropped off so badly I doubt he will be captain now.

Geary seems to be one of our best on field leaders but he may not be a best 22 lock long term which might give Weller or Newnes a look in.

Steven may be our best player at the moment but he just doesn't seem like captain material, would rather him just concentrate on being a gun mid for us.

It will probably be out of Geary, Weller and Newnes with Geary the favourite.

Roo one more year, and then re-assess. If that means we offer Fyfe the position, get it done! He would push us into a premiership side sooner rather than later!

Roo one more year, and then re-assess. If that means we offer Fyfe the position, get it done! He would push us into a premiership side sooner rather than later!
Not in a million years should we offer the captaincy to someone to get them to the club

Back