Analysis Our set shot kicking accuracy: what is going on and how to improve it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just goes to show what happens when you set out to "tire players out". Coaches don't change game plans too much so they still run as hard and as long....and they're too fatigued to kick properly for goal. More soft tissue injuries as well!

Bring back unlimited interchange. Swanny's long gone Gil (our dominance is over) so you can let everyone get the rests when they need them.

My impression is we were deadly last year and it's raised expectations, but we've fallen back to the pack due to JDG losing his technique and Stevo reading the game better, timing his leads better and thus having a lot of shots from the edge of his range.

No big problem, but hopefully JDG gets his kicking technique back. Could happen at the drop of a hat.

Keep it simple

So, this article was just published today about goal kicking accuracy.

Very timely considering I just raised this issue myself. So it seems like a competition wide issue according the the article.

Here is the stats table in the article:

40954a3d0efa104f0c6bca82036f4d5d

Geelong sit at around 60% set shot accuracy. It's no wonder they are flying at the moment. Goals win games.

The snapshot data is most interesting. On face value that data looks bad, but then you factor in the ground position and it takes on an entirely different complexion. I’d say the decrease in accuracy of that style of kick is the greater proliferation of the J curve kick.

I can’t help pondering whether at some point it will become standard to kick a snapshot any time you’re within 30m of goal “on the good side for a left or right footer”. It’s a lot easier to hit the belly of the ball when kicking around your body leaving a greater margin for error. Only a thought experiment...

FWIW I’d say JDG is converting at over 70% from snapshots in 2019 and circa 30% the rest.

it's about psychology and physics!

Psychology: clear the mind, concentrate, focus on one thing, one bad shot should not affect the next shot - they are independent events!

Physics: straight lines then apply force to the straight lines. line everything up in a straight line - run in in a straight line, follow through in a straight line - etc

1558220914488.png

PS - Stevo's ball twirling when lining up makes me nervous but it was a great torp yesterday - love him anyway!

Psychology: clear the mind, concentrate, focus on one thing, one bad shot should not affect the next shot - they are independent events!

Physics: straight lines then apply force to the straight lines. line everything up in a straight line - run in in a straight line, follow through in a straight line - etc

View attachment 676561

PS - Stevo's ball twirling when lining up makes me nervous but it was a great torp yesterday - love him anyway!
I actually think one of the issues is that we all, including the players, visualise the perfect drop punt as being about straight lines, but when you plant your weight on your left foot your right foot naturally swings through on a bit of an arc. In searching for the straight lines of the mathematical world, we're ignoring the natural curves of biomechanics.

line everything up in a straight line - run in in a straight line, follow through in a straight line - etc

View attachment 676561

!

I play a bit of a game with my son when watching the footy.........pick the result of set shots based on the run up looking for things like stutters and esp walking out to the side of the kicking leg. I don't have stats but at a guess I would say a 80 % success rate . Most of the errors are false positives when they stuff the ball drop on a good run up , but the bad run ups are hugely accurate

I actually think one of the issues is that we all, including the players, visualise the perfect drop punt as being about straight lines, but when you plant your weight on your left foot your right foot naturally swings through on a bit of an arc. In searching for the straight lines of the mathematical world, we're ignoring the natural curves of biomechanics.

I think people who say keep doing whatever helps you whether it's the twinkle toes routine or Stepho's ball spinning are on the right track.
Everyone is different. Just think of how differently everyone walks. Everyone will have their own gait. I think the old text book style of teaching goal kicking for a long time has held players back and we haven't really evolved from that too much.

My theories for the reason in the general decline in set shot accuracy are:
- Players are more fatigued. It has become more and more a game of endurance. It's not about outrunning your opponent it's about running hard enough for long enough to create opportunities against very tight defensive structures. Unfortunately they do have to kick with the same legs they use to run.
- Teams guard the centre of the ground so much now and actively try to entice shots from the boundary.
- I don't think it's about players doing LESS goal kicking practice than before I think it's more about teaching every other part of the game has ramped up in volume more than goal kicking.
- Related to the above people have kind of forgotten that goal kicking is a different skill than field kicking. I think a lot of midfielders who are great kicks around the ground don't put the time into goal kicking (both set shots and in general play) because they/their coaches think they'll be fine. Field kicking is about using what time and space you have to get vision of your target, make a decision on which target (if many), then shape the ball so it lands in a spot advantageous to the teammate. The 'shaping' of a kick is usually more forgiving when passing to a player than kicking for goal. When you kick for goal it's more about shaping the trajectory, not about where the ball lands. You might think a kick for goal is more forgiving because, well, the space between the goals is a lot bigger than a player but that's not the case necessarily as the receiver of the pass can move, often in 360 degrees of direction. Players are getting better at passing via foot especially considering the amount of pressure on players with the ball and the targets off the ball. I think a lot of energy has gone into teaching that and it's affected goal kicking. I wouldn't change that though.

An interesting experiment would be to measure the trajectory of players kicking to teammates, good kicks could will probably come up with 10 different ways to kick it with 10 different trajectories and they'd all be good kicks. You can't be a good set shot and have multiple trajectory paths however. It is required to be a good passer of the ball though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that painful stat! Should make somebody do something - not hard to get improvement - there'll always be misses but we must be able to improve our set shot kicking esp from within the arc - forget on the boundary line - most of them are flukes.. [tks a bunch D freakin Sheed :(] -

Would love to know how many goals from each category.

For example those percentages for Geelong 100% 'off the ground', how many is that? 3,4 5?

That would be interesting. You would assume for Geelong that there would be at least plus 5 off the ground.

It’s definitely been of concern this season. Hopefully it doesn’t cost us any time soon but we definitely need to lift. Geelong are showing the way.

It’s atrocious.It’s the only thing keeping Sydney in the game..Hopefully it doesn’t cost us the game.

Keep it simple.

When in doubt keep it simple.

Remember how head f"cked Clokey got trying to work out ways to improve his errant kicking?

Sometimes we overthink things and get fixated on IMPROVING things when all that is really necessary is to REDISCOVER the routine and rhythm that served us well through the juniors and development leagues.

I paid particular attention last night and had no overall issue with it. There was 2 that were better than 50/50 shots which AFL players should nail (Reid and Mihocek), but I missed the last quarter.

The difference between a good night in front of goal and an average one is a very fine line. For instance if Mihocek’s near miss in the 2nd and Stephenson’s poster in the 1st both go through we finish 13.12 and win with a leg in the air.

There will always be misses etc - they are human...
Our set shots have been below par for some time - can't figure out why they can't figure it out and get some improvement happening - put some pics of Sav Rocca up for starters..

Honestly, I don’t know how the powers that be at the club and in the football department can stick their heads in the sand and sit on their hands anymore. Whether or not they think that the “foot” part of “football” is just a quaint and antiquated relic leftover from the game’s origins, the reality is that you don’t win games unless you kick the ball through the big sticks more times than the other team.

And we have a real serious problem with kicking. Kicking straight, kicking the distance, kicking and hitting a target, even just the confidence to kick the bloody ball at all instead of doing a panicked pissy handball that 3/4 times will turn it over...how do we arrest this insidious erosion of foot skills before it becomes an endemic rot?

Geelong has one, Hawthorn & Essendon have them, even bloody Carlton has one who outrageously is our own Sav Rocca, so why don’t we? For the love of God we need one, is it simply a hangover from that ex-high-performance coach’s irrational & pathological fear that goal kicking practice led to hamstring strain and injuries (funny that cutting that from the training program didn’t appear to lessen our injuries sustained in training?), or is it perhaps more of a psychological issue now?

Whatever it is, someone needs to do something NOW about it because we would have to have one of the - if not the - highest number of F50 entries in the league with one of the lowest conversion percentages, and I’m no footy coach by any means but surely that’s the kind of stat that should be of concern when club considers themselves contenders for the flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back