Out of Bounds Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

So can anyone actually fill those of us whom are unaware in on what the rule is?

last team to touch it before it goes out gives away a free kick (like oob on the full)

EXCEPT

from a marking contest

or the umpires can't decide who touched it last

or

if the umpires use common sense and just ignore it because it sucks (happened a couple times already)

Re: THAT nab cup rule...

I just wish that for ONE year the rules weren't played with, because the afl will eventually adjust and fiddle the rules to the point of no return. If it is not broken.....

Yeah dumb rule, they want to slow the game down but then bring in something like this that'll obviously speed it up?

Also this is pretty bad for ruckmen, usually a throwin is a place they can assert dominance, now all they have is centre bounces and bounces around the ground.

The worst rule ever introduced and there have been some shockers. Lets reduce the interchange because we are worried about injuries, but hey lets try speeding up the game by having no boundary throw ins. What the ****

What's a bet the AFL slip this in as an actual rule in a few years? Wouldn't put it past them the way they keep changing the game...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Creates the odd moment of excitement but overall it's a dud rule. I'm not too fussed as we'll never see it in the real season and likely not in the pre-season as well.

This rule has been in and out of the game for years. It was originally in back in 1897, and was taken out in about 1900-1905 (sorry, can't be specific). It was then re-introduced for a couple of years in the 30s - got canned again.
Then, as noted it was tried in the pre-season in the 90s, to a general poor reception. I had no idea it was in again this year, and certainly no idea why they would bother to try it again.

Yes, we are possibly the only sport in the world that doesn't give out-of-bounds possession against the last team that touches it (anybody think of another?) - that still doesn't mean we should change.

You think it's bad now, this is on Fox only with a small-market Melbourne team and two Non-Vics. Just wait until the combination of free to air and three of Melbourne's big 4 get a hold of it...the bleating tomorrow is going to be as bad as the rule itself!

So they trial a rule in the mid to late 90's and quickly rule it out as a bad idea.

15 years later they ('they', being different dumb administrators) trial it again. Somehow it seems, however, that they know it isn't going to work, so before it is even trialled a decision is made to discontinue the trial after the 1st week.

The mind boggles.

Furthermore I reckon I could guarantee you that over 99% of players would be against the rule and a similar percentage of fans would feel the same.

Thus it beggars belief that some highly paid or highly sought after footy brain (so called) is actually behind this farcical trial!!!!

From that hun article:

"The matches were played at breakneck speed, with the Demons seemingly having an edge on their opponents in that facet of the game."

Breakneck speed eh...
It didnt even get past 1st gear, and port looked like they never got out of park.

It goes directly against the basic goal of footy which is to go and get the ball. You are better off hanging off the ball and tackling someone who does get it.

Can't wait for a game where the ball is sitting on the boundary line with a crowd of players around and none pick it up. What a farce.

What's with the whinging?

Yes it's a s**t rule. Yes it's probably the worst rule introduced in a while.

But some perspective - it's trialled in a tournament no one cares about - so what's the issue?

About the only thing it means to me is that i want the eagles out of this tournament ASAP - makes it hard for young ruckman to develop when there's so few ruck contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back