Paddy Ryder

Remove this Banner Ad

"YOU BROKE INTO THE WRONG HOUSE FOOL!"

I saw this on the 7 news and they showed the lady and then they showed the crashed car at West Lakes and that there had been a citizen's arrest but no mention was made of Ryder, or if there was it was a short reference at the end of the story. Typical.

From the opening post I made in this thread

This story from the Herald Sun by Jon Anderson on 26 May 2007 mid way thru Paddy's second year when he was 19, says a lot about why he has turned out the way he has a decade later as a footballer and a person.

When Ryder arrived at Essendon, he was known for his warm smile and quiet nature, not unlike many indigenous players already at the club. He didn't say much unless spoken to, other than giggling and carrying on with his Windy Hill "brothers"......

If Ryder sometimes gives the impression of controlling play like a traffic policeman in Essendon's backline, it probably comes down to his heritage and future desires. Ryder's father Reaves works as a police officer in Perth, a vocation Paddy wants to pursue after football. That would appear some time off given the standards he has set in his short career, but when he speaks you are left with a certain assurance that he will see his desire through. "My Dad started off as police liaison officer, doing a lot of work with feuding in the Aboriginal community and any trouble they got into. Then he did some work with the schools before going through the police academy," Ryder said. "He's now in the mainstream police force. I would like to do the same thing but it will have to be after footy. "We lived in Perth until I was seven then went to Geraldton, four hours up the coast. We left when I was 16 and I went to Clontarf (Aboriginal College in Perth). "When the draft came up I knew I would probably be moving from Perth, but that was OK. Melbourne is a lot different to Perth - a lot faster and a lot colder - but now I'm starting to like the place.

That bloody boomerang Paddy is carrying, makes me think he if wacked the intruders on the arse like Greg Chappell did, to that streaker with his bat ( think it was in NZ), they wouldn't be able to sit down for a week.

Don't want to be a debbie downer, and it's all cool and all that Ryder did a citizens arrest, not sure if it was the right approach to chase those guys and then bring them back though.

Yeah, very stupid thing to do. Glad it all ended well but we could've been having a very different discussion here.

Yeah, very stupid thing to do. Glad it all ended well but we could've been having a very different discussion here.

Agree.
All good to follow them, get licence plate number and call in their whereabouts to SAPOL.
But they could have had a weapon, and it could have been a disastrous conclusion.
Keep at arms' length Paddy - a courageous act, but equally not very responsible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy lives on the same street as my dad, so if there were shitbags out committing breaks, i'm glad someone was brave enough to catch one of them and stop them. It literally could have been my family next.

Obviously people should keep themselves and their family safe as the top priority, but Paddy is an intelligent guy who is capable of assessing the risk to his safety. I'd suggest his intention was simply to follow the stolen car until Police took over, but when it crashed he was able to catch one of the offenders.

They picked the wrong house. I certainly know how i'd feel if someone had tried to break into my house as my partner and child slept.

Paddy lives on the same street as my dad, so if there were shitbags out committing breaks, i'm glad someone was brave enough to catch one of them and stop them. It literally could have been my family next. ...
I'm glad they picked Paddy's house, one of my mates lives next door.

If it had of been bin night a certain reporter could have been an eye witness.

Is that sarcasm? It's on the front page of the edition I have.
I said I was disappointed they didn't do that, in reference to the ambiguous subheading and first paragraph. I haven't seen the printed edition so maybe they actually did do that. :eek:

We are managing Paddy for the rest of the year. Hope the fitness and medical guys do a better job than their footy department ruck strategy guys.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/f2af31656416be046c588f2dcb11e67a
PORT Adelaide’s flag hopes are riding on Paddy Ryder's sore Achilles with the star ruckman revealing he won’t be fully fit this season. ...... ........ he is on a modified training program that allows him to train fully only one day a week. But he is confident his injury — which comes two years after he had a similar problem with his right Achilles — will not stop him from playing a big role in the 6-3 Power’s chase for a first AFL premiership since 2004.

“It (the soreness) is not ideal but I can definitely still play at my best,’’ Ryder said in an honest assessment of where he is at physically. “I had a good game against the Crows and probably not so good in China (against Gold Coast) and I’m still building form and confidence but I can still play a big part in what our team does. “I probably need a decent break for it to be able to come good but obviously I’m not going to be able to get that through the season, so we’ve got (rehabilitation) plans in place and it's working pretty well at the moment.’’ ...... “With the Achilles, it’s an ongoing thing, but something that we manage pretty closely,” ........ “I’m still building my way back into things and working my way into how my body feels. “I’ve got to be able to train well, be able to get the right training loads in to perform on the weekend. “We’ve been through a little bit of trial and error with the physios and the docs, we’ve got it down pat now. “I only train one (main) session a week, the big session that the guys build me up for, we get a lot of load in that session. “The rest of the time is getting ready for the game. After a game, that’s cooling it down and making sure it hasn’t got any worse.’’ Ryder said short, midweek rest had not cured the problem. He said he just has to get through the season before giving the Achilles a long break. In the meantime, Ryder said, he had found “putting a lot of load into the tendon’’ had been the best medicine. “I do a lot of calf raises because the tendon tends to react well to a bit of loading every day,’’ he said. “We’ve found if I have too many days off it doesn’t get anywhere, you come back and you are a little bit sorer again.’’ Ryder does not believe he needs end-of-season surgery to repair the tendon, just rest.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/f2af31656416be046c588f2dcb11e67a

Last edited:
Put this in the Best Footy Photos Ever thread on the main board. I think I posted it Lets Talk Ports thread, but given Paddy probably wont be here next year (and this came up as an unread thread) thought I would stick it in here

Im sure there are plenty of great photos of fans reaction, since handing out footys became a thing, but this one last year of the small girl's reaction to Paddy Ryder is great.

ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 12: Paddy Ryder of the Power takes a signed ball to a little girl in the crowd as a couple of cheeky fans ask for his Gatorade during the 2018 AFL round eight match between the Port Adelaide Power and the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on May 12, 2018 in Adelaide, Australia. (Photo by Matt Turner/AFL Media)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back