Past Player of the Week - Glenn Manton

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenn Manton

MsTLsEU.jpg

DOB: 01/06/1973​

Height: 185 cm

Weight: 88 kg

Playing number: 53 (1992), 37 (1993), 25 (1994)

Arrived: Recruited through zoning via under-19s and reserves

Debut: Round 21 vs Melbourne, 1992

Games: 21

Goals: 4

Won: AFL premiership - 1995

Departed: Delisted after the 1994 season

Glenn Manton was a key position player who made his name at Carlton. Born in Essendon heartland, Manton played for East Keilor and Strathmore as a junior, and he was picked up by the under-19s. This was soon followed by playing in the reserves and then, at the end of 1992, playing his first senior games. He played the first game on the 1993 season as well, before hamstring problems left him out of the team until the midway point, and then the end, of the year. His 1994 was even better, but after the season was over he was delisted.

Following the lifeline thrown to him by Carlton, he went on to play in the '95 premiership, and retired from the AFL in 2003, having played 178 games in total across his two clubs. Since then Manton has been a busy man, primarily due to his charity, Whitelion, as well as being a motivational speaker, doing media work, playing for South Melbourne FC, bobsledding for Australia, and playing in the EDFL for Taylors Lakes and for Beaufort in the CHFL.

Last edited:
I remember getting quite excited at his potential following the '94 preseason where he starred as a forward. Based on his form and bargain basement price he was the first player I penciled in for the first year of the Age Dream Team (back when you sent the team in via the mail) . He was also in Kevin Sheedy's team.

Unfortunately he never really lived up to that promise until he changed jumpers.

Credits Essendon great Alec Epis as the man responsible for turning his life around.

Glenn is a fantastic fellow, very generous with his time in person.

Carlton supporters were blessed to see his best football and he was a significant cog in the 1995 premiership.

Glenn Manton

DOB:
01/06/1973

Height: 185 cm

Weight: 88 kg

Playing number: 53 (1992), 37 (1993), 25 (1994)

Arrived: Recruited through zoning via under-19s and reserves

Debut: Round 21 vs Melbourne, 1992

Games: 21

Goals: 4

Won: AFL premiership - 1995

Departed: Delisted after the 1994 season

Glenn Manton was a key position player who made his name at Carlton. Born in Essendon heartland, Manton played for East Keilor and Strathmore as a junior, and he was picked up by the under-19s. This was soon followed by playing in the reserves and then, at the end of 1992, playing his first senior games. He played the first game on the 1993 season as well, before hamstring problems left him out of the team until the midway point, and then the end, of the year. His 1994 was even better, but after the season was over he was delisted.

Following the lifeline thrown to him by Carlton, he went on to play in the '95 premiership, and retired from the AFL in 2003, having played 178 games in total across his two clubs. Since then Manton has been a busy man, primarily due to his charity, Whitelion, as well as being a motivational speaker, doing media work, playing for South Melbourne FC, bobsledding for Australia, and playing in the EDFL for Taylors Lakes and for Waubra in the CHFL.

No, he didn't play for Waubra he'd played for Beaufort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A guy I know worked at Carlton and thought he was a flog of the highest order. This view is supported by some interviews I've heard him do.....very hard to come across poorly when discussing your own charitable work, but he managed it. Seemed incredibly self-important.

Decent to good player, anyone who thinks he couldn't have played a lot of footy for us is kidding themselves.

A Sheedy mistake. Too this day,I have no idea why he was delisted. He was a good quality AFL defender.
Hird commented on Dale Lewis' drug comments in one of his books, saying that there used to be players at Essendon who were taking drugs and that Kevin Sheedy got rid of them. Manton would typically be a Sheedy favourite type of player you would think.

Just sayin.

I remember watching him in the reserves and generally thinking he played really well but then when he played games in the seniors that he seemed to struggle a bit. For a while I thought he would be one of those players that was too good for the reserves but not good enough for the seniors.

If you can't say something nice about someone as a human being, you shouldn't say anything at all.

I will remain absolutely silent about Glen Manton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back